IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ufabulum but redeemed by damogen furies

Opposite for me.

SP for me has been hit or miss after ultravisitor (an amazing record, can we all agree on that much?) with ufabulum being in the hit and damaging furries in the miss.

thinking about this is making me sad. This is the worst kind of music. There's albums that are bad but still interesting. There's albums so bad they're interestingly bad. These albums I listed are just boring

This is exactly what I'm talking about. That feeling of emptiness making you feel sad about somebody you love ! Like hanging out with a cool girl for years and all of a sudden you discover something really off-putting about her and you stop seeing each other.

Makes me think of Prefuse 73's "The Only She Chapters". I loved everything I've heard by him and then there's this album :cerious:

I'm sure some watmmers may choke on their cornflakes but did King Crimson make anything as great as their first album? I'm pretty sure I've played most of the well know ones and been pretty disappointed. Even Red which gets a lot of thumbs up, I thought was a bit of a boring dirge.

Zero 7 after the first album

Pixies after they fired Kim Gordon

New Order after they fired Hooky

Two Lone Swordsmen after Double Gone Chapel

NIN after Ghosts

Tame Impala

Depeche Mode after the 90s, lol

Psychic Ills

Midnight Juggernauts

Jai Paul, bc he still hasn't made an album

Justice, when they forgot to plug in their drum machine

As in, music without proeminent drums or because of this photo ?

justice1-300x201.jpg

I discovered that just before seeing them live on their Audio Video Disco tour, but was greatly surprised when I saw they were actually playing some parts of the gig live - especially Gaspard playing the piano in front of the audience.

p.s... what's tool? Sounds angst-y.

Their fans will tell you they are "prog metal". With a straight face.

Imagine someone who's never been to California doing angry karaoke about about how fake Los Angeles is. He (ALWAYS male) wants to do this in public, in view and earshot of dozens of people, at a bar, taking up the precious shared karaoke resources during peak hour, where people are drinking,  but don't you dare fucking chime in and try to take any of his limelight. He really hates LA, OK?? These are incredibly genuine feelings!

I can't think of any. Disappointments sure, but massive? It would have to be a whole lp where one song is decent, and the rest are shit, and the quality control is generally good among great artists.

Photek and dj shadow spring to mind straight away for the most precipitous drop in quality (though I quite enjoyed solaris, I'm thinking more of the later pendulum-esque edm stuff).

Also have to agree on squarepusher post-ultravisitor. I know a lot of people like those later albums but I've found every one pretty disappointing tbh.

Honestly, Shaking the Habitual was a major disappointment for me. Fine album, but there was no way it could live up to my expectations. 

The new Fever Ray has been a crushing letting let down too. 

lol

extralol

Honestly, Shaking the Habitual was a major disappointment for me. Fine album, but there was no way it could live up to my expectations. 

The new Fever Ray has been a crushing letting let down too. 

lol

extralol

double-un-lol

That's right I just took away your lols

I can't think of any. Disappointments sure, but massive? It would have to be a whole lp where one song is decent, and the rest are shit, and the quality control is generally good among great artists.

I was more talking about a expectations vs. reality kind of thing, where you're really looking forward to that new LP/EP/Whatever of one of your favorite musical act but it turns out to be, well, massively disappointing.

Photek and dj shadow spring to mind straight away for the most precipitous drop in quality (though I quite enjoyed solaris, I'm thinking more of the later pendulum-esque edm stuff).

Also have to agree on squarepusher post-ultravisitor. I know a lot of people like those later albums but I've found every one pretty disappointing tbh.

Agreed, I like Solaris too.

EDIT: Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3

yeah, that's what I meant. TBH I never have high expectations very often which is why I really haven't been massively disappointed. I've never had sky high expectations for anything, for example. 

I mean, i have moderate expectations, but since we're talking about artists we love, again the quality control thing comes into play. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it just hasn't happened in music.

Actually now that I think about it, when I was younger, I really loved Morrowind (a video game) and puts 100s of hours into it over a year or two, then Oblivion came out... put like 20 hours into it. You could literally beat the game at LEVEL 1 (I found this out when my sister beat the game without knowing how to level and without EVER changing her armor... she had that imperial armor on from the very beginning of the game  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: 

For some reason quality control is much more iffy with game development companies. Skyrim made up for oblivion though.

Music hasn't really been an issue with this. I think it may have to do with the fact that music isn't shown in detail to us before it comes out, like video games are. We spend a year plus hearing about it and watching bits of gameplay, then it comes out, and is a disappointment. 

As in, music without proeminent drums or because of this photo ?

justice1-300x201.jpg

I discovered that just before seeing them live on their Audio Video Disco tour, but was greatly surprised when I saw they were actually playing some parts of the gig live - especially Gaspard playing the piano in front of the audience.

Yeah that tour was great, the wall of speakers

Archived