IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

p.s... what's tool? Sounds angst-y.

Their fans will tell you they are "prog metal". With a straight face.

Imagine someone who's never been to California doing angry karaoke about about how fake Los Angeles is. He (ALWAYS male) wants to do this in public, in view and earshot of dozens of people, at a bar, taking up the precious shared karaoke resources during peak hour, where people are drinking, but don't you dare fucking chime in and try to take any of his limelight. He really hates LA, OK?? These are incredibly genuine feelings!

Sweep yr way more fired up about hating Tool than any Tool fans are about loving them, sorry, you lose, y'all hate on them and their unique prog-metal all you want you won't get a rise out of me. :catrecline:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

afx after windowlicker (but he came back, some Analords and other tracks have been quite good)

sqp after feed me weird things

sonic youth after sonic nurse (they really needed jim)

ae after.....eh - haven't happened yet!

BoC - Campfag Fuckface

Will never forgive, never forget.

I always thought it was much better than Tomorrow's Harvest, but no one else seems to agree. It fleshed out their sound and song structures and pointed to new directions, showing how much range and longevity BoC could have, but then Tomorrow's Harvest backtracked on all of that and sounded like a safe by-the-numbers generic BoC on autopilot thing. People got this fucked up just because the vibe of TCH is pleasant and chill, which people had mistaken as "sellout", but it's the better, more memorable, more musically adventurous album. Tomorrow's Harvest makes them sound bored with music and recycling ideas they did better before. I was surprised by that and even more surprised with the glowing response it got, like people were afraid to admit it was kinda lackluster after the long wait. 

Orbital after middle of nowhere. A lot of people hated MON as well. But maybe it was just my age and I liked it. After that it got ridiculously bad and kept getting worse. I was lucky enough to see them around 98 when it was still amazing but when they came around again five or so years ago I didn't want to ruin those memories so I skipped it.

BoC - Campfag Fuckface

I always thought it was much better than Tomorrow's Harvest, but no one else seems to agree. It fleshed out their sound and song structures and pointed to new directions, showing how much range and longevity BoC could have, but then Tomorrow's Harvest backtracked on all of that and sounded like a safe by-the-numbers generic BoC on autopilot thing. People got this fucked up just because the vibe of TCH is pleasant and chill, which people had mistaken as "sellout", but it's the better, more memorable, more musically adventurous album. Tomorrow's Harvest makes them sound bored with music and recycling ideas they did better before. I was surprised by that and even more surprised with the glowing response it got, like people were afraid to admit it was kinda lackluster after the long wait. 

agree w all of this

BoC - Campfag Fuckface

agree w all of this

I thought Campfire Headphase was one of their most sincere and cohesive releases, even if it sounded rather stoned through most of it. Lots of emotional engagement and beautiful melodies ("Tears from the Compound Eye"? holy shit) without being too heavy-handed like Geogaddi often was ("1969", "The Beach at Redpoint", "Dawn Chorus"). Tomorrow's Harvest was forgettable. In fact I listened to it once and I was pretty underwhelmed and I don't really remember any of it.

Honestly, Shaking the Habitual was a major disappointment for me. Fine album, but there was no way it could live up to my expectations. 

The new Fever Ray has been a crushing letting let down too. 

Pixies after they fired Kim Gordon

lol

extralol

New Fever Ray?!

BoC - Campfag Fuckface

agree w all of this

I thought Campfire Headphase was one of their most sincere and cohesive releases, even if it sounded rather stoned through most of it. Lots of emotional engagement and beautiful melodies ("Tears from the Compound Eye"? holy shit) without being too heavy-handed like Geogaddi often was ("1969", "The Beach at Redpoint", "Dawn Chorus"). Tomorrow's Harvest was forgettable. In fact I listened to it once and I was pretty underwhelmed and I don't really remember any of it.

Well to me Tomorrow's Harvest had this work on melody but with a much more pleasant sound palette. When you write "emotional engagement" I immediately think of Reach for the Dead.

That being said, I also think TCH is a way too much underrated album - but I also don't like the "Into the Wild OST" feel it has.

Honestly, Shaking the Habitual was a major disappointment for me. Fine album, but there was no way it could live up to my expectations.

The new Fever Ray has been a crushing letting let down too.

Pixies after they fired Kim Gordon

lol

extralol

New Fever Ray?!

Whaaaaa

it was a pretty huge stylistic shift from Homework to Discovery, I bet many people were understandably disappointed

Yeah I can see it, it just seems like most people with beef against Daft Punk are always talking about post Discovery.

btw. i loled

lol!

Guest WNS000

I'm sure some watmmers may choke on their cornflakes but did King Crimson make anything as great as their first album? I'm pretty sure I've played most of the well know ones and been pretty disappointed. Even Red which gets a lot of thumbs up, I thought was a bit of a boring dirge.

Reported. Try "The Power To Believe".

For me it is their absolutely best album and one of the freshest albums I have heard lately. So emotional and raw. Some stunning compositional moments. I didn't really care much about their earlier output though.

you won't get a rise out of me. :catrecline:

Then you are not a true fan  :emotawesomepm9:

ALRITE DATS IT  :catrage:  T O O L RULEZ HARD DUDE YA

lol

BoC - Campfag Fuckface

To me TH is their best produced album by far. Stunning sound design and atmosphere. Some tunes should have been more developed though.

Orbital after middle of nowhere. A lot of people hated MON as well. But maybe it was just my age and I liked it. After that it got ridiculously bad and kept getting worse. I was lucky enough to see them around 98 when it was still amazing but when they came around again five or so years ago I didn't want to ruin those memories so I skipped it.

Yes. Brown and In Sides are still in my favourite electronic albums list. Sad.

I was more talking about a expectations vs. reality kind of thing, where you're really looking forward to that new LP/EP/Whatever of one of your favorite musical act but it turns out to be, well, massively disappointing.

Korn - Untouchables

I was more talking about a expectations vs. reality kind of thing, where you're really looking forward to that new LP/EP/Whatever of one of your favorite musical act but it turns out to be, well, massively disappointing.

Korn - Untouchables

n1X4it2.png

I'm sure some watmmers may choke on their cornflakes but did King Crimson make anything as great as their first album? I'm pretty sure I've played most of the well know ones and been pretty disappointed. Even Red which gets a lot of thumbs up, I thought was a bit of a boring dirge.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic! Srsly, give that one a few spins, it's amazing. Especially the last track.

And yeah Tool fans are the fuckin worst. I was at Coachella when they headlined, 2006 I think, and I was about midway through the crowd at the main stage seeing Massive Attack, who were fantastic. But right when they finished and Tool was coming up next, a massive influx of Tool fans piled into the crowd and started literally crushing us, just smashing inward toward the front with their thick, unshowered bodies. My friend had a panic attack and we squirmed our way out of there asap. Miserable bastards.

^ lol

Korn - Untouchables

n1X4it2.png

flol

now that we're talking nü metal disappointment, teenage me was very disappointed by Serj Tankian's second solo album (and everything he's done since). The first one was alright tho (by my teen standards, it's actually mostly shit)

Ahhh man I just constructed a massive 1000 word essay on Dylan (I was a massive Dylan fan a few moons ago). I deleted it because I'm drunk, and sometimes I think I'm having a bloody passionate ramble which means a lot to me but may be falling on cold in-affectionate ears.

I'll cut a long story short and say that the run of albums Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin', Highway 61 Revisited, Bringin' It All Back Home are ingrained into my dna as landmarks. But I never ever, ever got the critics wet dream of Blonde on Blonde. Just don't get it.

ah yeah, system of a down...! Forgot about them =)

I turned my angry back at the entire genre in shame around the time that third Limp Bizkit album came out "rollin rollin...."

when Linkin Park became the new hot band

Slipknot's second album

fucking Mudvayne

etc...

everything went to absolute shit

thankfully friends introduced me to Atari Teenage Riot / Mr Bungle / John Zorn etc. to get over it all

The only vaguely even nu-metal bands I ever got into (and buy got into I meant bought one CD of theirs at Best Buy) were Deftones, Orgy, and Soulfly. Oh and I guess Rammstein? I feel like a lot of that stuff was kind of moving towards something interesting; it had all the ingredients but it never really got there. What are you gonna do when your target audience's average age (or at least maturity level) is 16, though. I was pretty basic at that point, though, maybe there was some shit that actually hit that sweet spot.

I can absolutely still enjoy Bungle and ATR though.

Archived