IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

Yeah SOAD did turn into shit. Mesmerize had a few tunes on (the baseball track Old School Hollywood was pretty cool). Hypnotize....mmm don't think I've ever played it.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WNS000

Deftones still got some great tracks. Even the old ones. I have never studied the lyrics though so cannot comment on that.

I don't mean to sound like I know better, but I never liked System of a Down. When I entered in high school and they were first getting popular, a lot of friends whose opinions I respected spoke highly of them and I listened to them a few times and I could just never get into them. That's when I turned to strangers on the internet for music recommendations instead of my friends.

kid606 after kill sound before sound kills you

cex after role model

You should give them another go. Cex has dropped 3 releases just this week on bandcamp and there all fire

https://mustfinish.bandcamp.com/album/on-anticonvulsants

Also Kid 606 last few albums been awesome Imo. Happiness album was my summer jam the other year and his recent recollected ambient works have been lush as

I got dragged to see System of Down set at Reading festival by my mates who were hardcore fans, I was all like 'yeah yeah what the fuck is this shit' typical me (if I don't like it its not worth listening too lol). This was just after Toxicity was released. I dunno, so after a few tunes with all these weird guitars and odd ball vocals bouncing around It started to get under my skin. It started to infect me. The crowd was going righteously insane around me. I started to get convinced pretty quickly this band had something very special going on.

SOAD is pretty decent for a genre of music I don't ever listen to

I love the sound of that dudes voice

also, finding sugar randomly on napster ( I think) when I was a kid is a good memory

SOAD is pretty decent for a genre of music I don't ever listen to

I love the sound of that dudes voice

also, finding sugar randomly on napster ( I think) when I was a kid is a good memory

oh, same for me. I don't listen to the genre at all.. cept I guess I used to listen to Tool. But anyway, I heard their song 'fuck the system' when I was younger and was super impressed

Honestly, Shaking the Habitual was a major disappointment for me. Fine album, but there was no way it could live up to my expectations. 

The new Fever Ray has been a crushing letting let down too. 

Wait, NEW FEVER RAY? WHERE?!

by the way Shaking The Habitual was a fantastic farewell album imo but it was a really big shift from Silent Shout so I can understand initial disappointment. It suffers from drukqs syndrome though with those 15 minute ambient tracks tacked on. There's just no way to mix high energy tunes and loooong ambient interludes in a cohesive manner

I thought I was the only one who picked up on it.... went back and read the rest of the thread, and a bunch of people jumped on the Fever Ray thing. We're thirsty man.

Buttt at least something is in the works. This is from earlier this year:

"I am working in my studio on something. I'm continuing in other shapes," When she was asked whether the new material would be under the Fever Ray moniker, she replied "I don’t know yet. We will see what it will be."

Guest WNS000

by the way Shaking The Habitual was a fantastic farewell album imo but it was a really big shift from Silent Shout so I can understand initial disappointment.

Exactly.

It suffers from drukqs syndrome though with those 15 minute ambient tracks tacked on. There's just no way to mix high energy tunes and loooong ambient interludes in a cohesive manner

I thought it flows quite nicely. I have to be in the mood though.

rjd2 after since we last spoke..... 

That is the only album I had of his, and always thought I should have bought more of them. Was I correct in not doing so?

The album before that was pretty good in a similar style, but then he pulled a bit of a left turn and went in a... questionable direction.

The Avalanches' Wildflower is pretty forgettable IMO

also love FlyLo, but I've still not been able to get into You're Dead! I'd say some of his signees on Brainfreeze are doing more interesting things these days.

I'm sure some watmmers may choke on their cornflakes but did King Crimson make anything as great as their first album? I'm pretty sure I've played most of the well know ones and been pretty disappointed. Even Red which gets a lot of thumbs up, I thought was a bit of a boring dirge.

I personally think their 80s albums (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair) were their best. Perfect lineup imo. It's not prog, but it's prog musicians playing the fuck out of some mathy post-punk.. which sounds fkn amazing imo.

I never really understood why people thought the first album was their best, other than perhaps some silly hipster cred thing. It seems like an insult to Fripp et al to say they haven't done anything better in nearly FIFTY YEARS..

some of my other favourites, apart from the 80s albums:

The Power To Believe (along with the companion mini-album, Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With)

Red (you've already said you didn't like that, but fuck it, it's worth it for all of Starless imo)

THRAK

Lark's was alright.. but imo they got better after 1980. Something about that Fripp/Belew combo; Belew's songwriting was on point and then Fripp came in with little embellishments and solos. Strictly imo, Fripp's strength is his collaborators. I think he realised this when he started working as a producer; his first solo album is great because it has some great people writing the songs.

rjd2 after since we last spoke..... 

That is the only album I had of his, and always thought I should have bought more of them. Was I correct in not doing so?

The album before that was pretty good in a similar style, but then he pulled a bit of a left turn and went in a... questionable direction.

yep, 1st album was a "classic"

The Prodigy - After Weather Experience, the Narcotic Suite and a few other bits from the first two albums I genuinely thought Liam Howlett would mature into some kind of musical genius. Fat Of The Land was a wobble but at least it was trying something new, and the biggest wobbles were yet to come. Imagine being in your 40's and writing the song Nasty. Fucking hell.

liam-howlett-rock-stars-and-celebrities-

I personally think their 80s albums (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair) were their best. Perfect lineup imo. It's not prog, but it's prog musicians playing the fuck out of some mathy post-punk.. which sounds fkn amazing imo.

I'll be sure to check these out modey  :music:

I think most of my massive disappointments stem from my favourite alt-rock heavyweights entering the 2000s; Pixies, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Of course there's some good material, but the majority of their post-90s stuff has been absolute wank.

DJ Shadow's new album was also a big disappointment. I know he hasn't released anything noteworthy for a very long time, but I was expecting a slight return to form with this new one. Unfortunately it was pretty fucking bad

The Avalanches' Wildflower is pretty forgettable IMO

also love FlyLo, but I've still not been able to get into You're Dead! I'd say some of his signees on Brainfreeze are doing more interesting things these days.

Whaaat. You're Dead was superb, and Wildflower is easily my AOTY so far.

Archived