IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

The Prodigy after Fat of the Land..  These days they look like washed up old rock stars and it's kind of embarrassing.

Mylo after Destroy Rock & Roll (mainly because i'm still waiting! although he does appear to be MUCH more active lately)

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@beerwolf: Dunno. PJ was a big thing for me back in the days. Perhaps it was poor all the way. Perhaps I just grew up.

@goDel: I just gave up after Knowle West Boy. I've noticed that he has released four or five albums after that, but they always get poor to lukewarm reviews and a low RYM-score, so I haven't bothered.

And I forgot one of the biggest dissappointment. Goldie! Saturnzreturn! What a pile of shit.

You might want to bother about False Idols. Don't bother about the others, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, False Idols is pretty great. His best since Maxinquaye imo. All his other albums are really hit or miss for me.

Jimmy Edgar.

Not that his music nowadays is bad, but compared to what he did on 'My Mines I' and 'Seual Dual' as morris Nightingale / Kristuit Salu... That was quite something. Been waiting for something like that to come back, but I've given up hope.

The Prodigy after Fat of the Land..  These days they look like washed up old rock stars and it's kind of embarrassing.

The thing about Prodigy unlike most of their big beat / late 90s electronica megastar peers was they were big in the early 90s rave scene already, pinning notable singles right at the tailend of that scene's heydey in 1992. In fact i recall Simon Reynolds pointed this out at the end of Generation Ecstasy they were perfect as the rock-oriented crossover "electronica" breakout act.

Also, their music is about as unabashed and straightforward as you can get when it comes to big loud EDM. They didn't have their chillout and pysch tinged jammer tracks like the Chemical Brothers, nor did they have the eclectic crate-digging DJing career that Fatboy Slim has always fallen back on. Lastly they weren't rooted in house music like Basement Jaxx or Daft Punk so once big beat finally ended as a fad they were pretty much in a rut. I haven't heard anything past skimming that Always Outgunned/Outnumbered and haven't bothered with their new stuff since so I can't speak on it's quality. That was from 2005 (which in my opinion was a pretty medicore year for albums from the Chem Brothers, Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk, all of who have put out better stuff since) 

@beerwolf: Dunno. PJ was a big thing for me back in the days. Perhaps it was poor all the way. Perhaps I just grew up.

Perhaps I'm wrong and your right! I keep meaning to dig out that Mirror Ball album they did with Neil Young.....what did you think of that? I can remember being a bit disappointed, as I thought that had potential to be something great.

I can´t remember actually. I bought the single called Merkin ball, and enjoyed that. But I can´t remember if I actually listened to the whole album. Think I´ll do that.

@goDel: I just gave up after Knowle West Boy. I've noticed that he has released four or five albums after that, but they always get poor to lukewarm reviews and a low RYM-score, so I haven't bothered.

And I forgot one of the biggest dissappointment. Goldie! Saturnzreturn! What a pile of shit.

You might want to bother about False Idols. Don't bother about the others, as far as I can tell.

Will do.

The thing about Prodigy unlike most of their big beat / late 90s electronica megastar peers was they were big in the early 90s rave scene already, pinning notable singles right at the tailend of that scene's heydey in 1992. In fact i recall Simon Reynolds pointed this out at the end of Generation Ecstasy they were perfect as the rock-oriented crossover "electronica" breakout act.

Also, their music is about as unabashed and straightforward as you can get when it comes to big loud EDM. They didn't have their chillout and pysch tinged jammer tracks like the Chemical Brothers, nor did they have the eclectic crate-digging DJing career that Fatboy Slim has always fallen back on. Lastly they weren't rooted in house music like Basement Jaxx or Daft Punk so once big beat finally ended as a fad they were pretty much in a rut. I haven't heard anything past skimming that Always Outgunned/Outnumbered and haven't bothered with their new stuff since so I can't speak on it's quality. That was from 2005 (which in my opinion was a pretty medicore year for albums from the Chem Brothers, Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk, all of who have put out better stuff since) 

good point about prodigy. love their old stuff, quite like the last one, ravey punk stuff, but certainly not as groundbreaking(?) as they used to be.

I know it has its moments of loud beats but Weather Experience definitely hinted at the potential for chillout stuff, same with 3 Kilos, Narayan from Fat of the Land could be a Chemical Brothers track and Howlett showed he could mix with the Dirtchamber Sessions. They had flashes of this stuff in their first few releases, so when they couldn't be arsed and went back to trying to recreate the singles from Experience and a time long gone it was a crushing shame. It still hurts. 

The Prodigy is one band I give a pass to people when they are really into it because some of their stuff is super quality. (same with SOAD actually)

I wasn't exactly psyched about The King of Limbs when that came out. It was kinda like Radiohead abandoning their strengths for most of it.

I really tied to go in to that with an open mind, but I couldn't even make it through the first minute without having to skip ahead and see if it got better (didn't).

And I actually LIKE a lot of vaporwave, at least the stuff up through maybe 2013. This sounds like a cash in on the stuff that was cashing in on Vaporwave two years ago.

I wasn't exactly psyched about The King of Limbs when that came out. It was kinda like Radiohead abandoning their strengths for most of it.

I keep forgetting about that album. Was that the one where he danced with a bowler hat on. That's like the only thing about TKOL that stuck with me.

Infected Mushroom have had the worst quality trajectory of any band I can think of, going from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3mYaAZJ68

to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdVH9ZzftI

in the space of 5 years. Granted there were some signs of the rot setting in in their work leading up to the abomination that is IM the Supervisor but that album still took me by surprise.

But they're called Infected Mushroom, so you should have known from the get-go

Like, there's a local jam band called Nippin' the Nub, and you don't have to listen to them to know that you don't like them

http://2ab9pu2w8o9xpg6w26xnz04d.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy-band-images/nippin-the-nub.jpg

They started out as psytrance, but what I've heard of their recent stuff defies easy categorisation - I guess it's kind of EDM/nu-metal crossover, and every bit as terrible as that sounds.

And I actually LIKE a lot of vaporwave, at least the stuff up through maybe 2013. This sounds like a cash in on the stuff that was cashing in on Vaporwave two years ago.

post-blank banshee stuff - yeah that EDM chill oriented synthpop trap stuff is a dime a dozen lately - same tumblr graphics and digital pink / blue shading artwork seems to go hand in hand with it

i wouldn't call it vaporwave but I'm sure most kids who eat up this stuff would call it that or don't care what it's called

/i'm-getting-too-old-for-this-shit rant

I love a lot of the Dream Catalogue (er) catalogue but I think they've had a big hand in the use of trap sounds in the vw scene. There was a certain point, maybe around Dream_80 or something where I began to get really sick of the same drum sounds used on countless releases.

• Deadbeat turned to shit after New World Observer 

Clark got worse and worth with recent releases (the more berghain influenced he got the worse it got)

Venetian Snares got pretty non relevant until his latest release which was better but nowhere up to his old masterpieces 

Rumpistol turned from very personal stuff to exchangeable dancefloor tunes 

Archived