IGNORED

Christ. vs Boards of Canada

Guest twiddler

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Archrival

"some of the tracks are just texture play" hell no!

when it comes to electronic music its all about the sound and the textures, thats the thing that seperates the most brilliant and the weakest acts in this "game"..

Everyone can play a decent melody on a keyboard..but can you make that melody sound good? and what about the sounds between the spaces :boc:

"I loved MHTRTC not for the production(which sucks in professional terms at times)" yes ofcourse...thats why every "genuine" hip hop head was on Wu Tang Clans shitty gritty 36 chambers nuts and not on Puff Daddys.

Trust me it takes time to "age" the soundsource or to find the right sources to make it sound dirty in the process.

Just listen to William Basinskis tapes..thats beautiful stuff! so simple but so addictive! But you can feel how genuine the soundsource is (or the concept, behind the whole thing with the tape loops)...

For me this kind of music is so much more emotional and strong than like Venetian Snares stuff..whoa just heard that Cavalcade crap!!!!! wow! it didnt give me one emotion, I didnt get sad, happy or anything else, it was some of the most uninspiring music I ever heard, and I even consider myself a VS fan! :confused:

Guest twiddler
"some of the tracks are just texture play" hell no!

when it comes to electronic music its all about the sound and the textures, thats the thing that seperates the most brilliant and the weakest acts in this "game"..

Everyone can play a decent melody on a keyboard..but can you make that melody sound good? and what about the sounds between the spaces :boc:

"I loved MHTRTC not for the production(which sucks in professional terms at times)" yes ofcourse...thats why every "genuine" hip hop head was on Wu Tang Clans shitty gritty 36 chambers nuts and not on Puff Daddys.

Trust me it takes time to "age" the soundsource or to find the right sources to make it sound dirty in the process.

Just listen to William Basinskis tapes..thats beautiful stuff! so simple but so addictive! But you can feel how genuine the soundsource is (or the concept, behind the whole thing with the tape loops)...

For me this kind of music is so much more emotional and strong than like Venetian Snares stuff..whoa just heard that Cavalcade crap!!!!! wow! it didnt give me one emotion, I didnt get sad, happy or anything else, it was some of the most uninspiring music I ever heard, and I even consider myself a VS fan! :confused:

I think Ataronchronon and Sherbet Head are fine examples of texture play(and not so difficult to imitate, some amplitude modulation and bad compression effects over the synths gets pretty close to that). I like them, but nothing more.

I tink The Disintegration Loops is a hoax. I don't believe the story is true at least, I have tapes from like 30 years ago(not mine of course) and they still play just FINE, so I think Basinski made up a story to put some meaning in the artificially fucked up music(especially about the 9/11 part). I like some tracks but for 2-3 mins, they are so repetitive.

Oh, and the Venetian Snares, I really don't like anything I've had the chance to hear by this band, and I don't think it's because of production - just that the music is weak.

everyone can play a decent melody? sure, but can everyone INVENT a decent melody?

For example, I don't think Turquoise Hexagon Sun is a decent melody - it's fucking awesome, to say the least. And it's not a fucked up texture, it's clean as hell. that's something I haven't heard from the boards in a long time.

Kid For Today, what a beautiful melody. I don't think people come up with such melodies very often - it's a real burst of talent and emotion coming together. Probably my favourite track by boc.

I think Ataronchronon and Sherbet Head are fine examples of texture play(and not so difficult to imitate, some amplitude modulation and bad compression effects over the synths gets pretty close to that). I like them, but nothing more.

everyone can play a decent melody? sure, but can everyone INVENT a decent melody?

For example, I don't think Turquoise Hexagon Sun is a decent melody - it's fucking awesome, to say the least. And it's not a fucked up texture, it's clean as hell. that's something I haven't heard from the boards in a long time.

Kid For Today, what a beautiful melody. I don't think people come up with such melodies very often - it's a real burst of talent and emotion coming together. Probably my favourite track by boc.

We think so alike on this one it's scary. For me, melody is everything, it's what separates great music from mediocre music - as much as I like beats, no amount of amen-shitting will ever equal a beautiful melody. I completely agree with your perception of texture vs. melody in the progression of BoC's music. I do think BoC's divine sense of melody has diminished, even on Geogaddi I felt it had suddenly become muted (personally I suspect Mike did a few too many drugs, but that's not a very nice thing to say). I still love their music, and I'd rather they overcompensate with fascinating production than not. And at least they haven't abandoned melody to the point that autechre has!

Kid For Today is also among my top two favorite BoC tracks, along with 5-9-78.

Guest Archrival

"I think Ataronchronon and Sherbet Head are fine examples of texture play(and not so difficult to imitate, some amplitude modulation and bad compression effects over the synths gets pretty close to that). I like them, but nothing more." To me imitating is the worst part of bad music making...and im sure you can "imitate" those textures, but theres the point, then its all about imitating the sound of Ataronchronon and Sherbet heads sound and not creating your own sound.

"(or the concept, behind the whole thing with the tape loops)..." I also got a lot of tapes thats more than 30 years old and those sound pretty fucked up in some places, if I would play them constantly for 24 hours a day for weeks from now on, im sure they would take a lot of damagage...thats the process he used to make them disintegrate. The whole disintegration thing was ofcourse a process to make them "die"...and record that dying part..it certainly is a beautiful concept and to me its beautiful art (the concept and the music itself). Some music just feels more genuine to me than others, sometimes you just can feel that "blood, sweat and tears" thats put into the music (ofcourse its about personal taste and what you can and can not relate to). But Boards Of Canada make music that touch me deep inside the heart the same way as Harold Budd, Cocteau Twins, The Cure, Fennesz, Aphex Twin, Autechres etcs music do.

"everyone can play a decent melody? sure, but can everyone INVENT a decent melody?

For example, I don't think Turquoise Hexagon Sun is a decent melody - it's fucking awesome, to say the least. And it's not a fucked up texture, it's clean as hell. that's something I haven't heard from the boards in a long time." ofcourse its not ONLY about texture and sound (its very important tho), you have to also be talented when it comes to writing melodies...thats why BOC are so superior to those who are only experts in one area..

Guest twiddler
"I think Ataronchronon and Sherbet Head are fine examples of texture play(and not so difficult to imitate, some amplitude modulation and bad compression effects over the synths gets pretty close to that). I like them, but nothing more." To me imitating is the worst part of bad music making...and im sure you can "imitate" those textures, but theres the point, then its all about imitating the sound of Ataronchronon and Sherbet heads sound and not creating your own sound.

"(or the concept, behind the whole thing with the tape loops)..." I also got a lot of tapes thats more than 30 years old and those sound pretty fucked up in some places, if I would play them constantly for 24 hours a day for weeks from now on, im sure they would take a lot of damagage...thats the process he used to make them disintegrate. The whole disintegration thing was ofcourse a process to make them "die"...and record that dying part..it certainly is a beautiful concept and to me its beautiful art (the concept and the music itself). Some music just feels more genuine to me than others, sometimes you just can feel that "blood, sweat and tears" thats put into the music (ofcourse its about personal taste and what you can and can not relate to). But Boards Of Canada make music that touch me deep inside the heart the same way as Harold Budd, Cocteau Twins, The Cure, Fennesz, Aphex Twin, Autechres etcs music do.

"everyone can play a decent melody? sure, but can everyone INVENT a decent melody?

For example, I don't think Turquoise Hexagon Sun is a decent melody - it's fucking awesome, to say the least. And it's not a fucked up texture, it's clean as hell. that's something I haven't heard from the boards in a long time." ofcourse its not ONLY about texture and sound (its very important tho), you have to also be talented when it comes to writing melodies...thats why BOC are so superior to those who are only experts in one area..

Guest twiddler
personally I suspect Mike did a few too many drugs, but that's not a very nice thing to say

:fear: haha, yeah, it's scary how alike we think on that one too!

Guest twiddler

man, i posted a quote instead of my reply... nevermind

I meant, in brief, that: I don't feel Basinski is genuine, because not gear and technique make music genuine. I think people pay attention to TDL in a great deal because Mike Sadison mentioned those in at least two interviews. I like Bibio, for example, but in his case there's far more music than story of making it, if you get my point. I feel Fennesz(yeah) and even Four Tet(sometimes) who use laptops extensively are much more genuine than William Basinski.

Copying only leads to bad music. Ataronchronon and Sherbet Head use very simple and a bit too artificial techniques which are easy to recognize, even for me, and I am a guitar player in a rock band - a bit far from copying boc really. They are an insipration, of course.

I forgot what else I had written there, sorry for the partial reply, I'm not in the mood for it now.

Guest Raddcliff

BoC takes the belt. i can't give christ a fair chance though...as his recording quality is so poor i can't stand to listen to the tracks. seems like way yo much reverb causing the frqs to conflict. listen to odds, evens and primates 1:24, 3:46 etc. total distortion. and high that hurt the ears. and im not listen to rips. i've got the cd's and they just dont seem to be mixed well at all.

i love fantastic light...but the track kills me with all the reverb.

i would like to hear the tracks if they went through a better mastering process.

another difference is BoC tracks seem to come across as stories, and Christ tracks just seem to be aimless. there is nice ambience, but no purpose. general electronic fodder. well thats a little harsh...its better than 99% of the myspace, acidplanet etc stuff...but the recording is so aweful i can't give it the attention it deserves for a totally fair review.

get a better masterting studio...and if you're doing it yourself...STOP.

Guest twiddler
BoC takes the belt. i can't give christ a fair chance though...as his recording quality is so poor i can't stand to listen to the tracks. seems like way yo much reverb causing the frqs to conflict. listen to odds, evens and primates 1:24, 3:46 etc. total distortion. and high that hurt the ears. and im not listen to rips. i've got the cd's and they just dont seem to be mixed well at all.

i love fantastic light...but the track kills me with all the reverb.

i would like to hear the tracks if they went through a better mastering process.

another difference is BoC tracks seem to come across as stories, and Christ tracks just seem to be aimless. there is nice ambience, but no purpose. general electronic fodder. well thats a little harsh...its better than 99% of the myspace, acidplanet etc stuff...but the recording is so aweful i can't give it the attention it deserves for a totally fair review.

get a better masterting studio...and if you're doing it yourself...STOP.

some people would say that my bloody valentine has the worst production ever. other people find it original and like it the way it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with Christ.'s production, I like it very much. Yes, it has lots of reverb, delay, etc., but it's clear as well. It's just down to taste(ok that was for the last time).

Guest Archrival
I think Chris would want you to judge his music on it's own merits rather than compare it to BoC - and I like his music a lot.

yes ofcourse but the topic is about Christ Vs BoC and everyone have their own opinion on that...its fun to hear everyones opinion.

even if you judge his music on it's own merits rather than compare it to BoC then his melodies are nice but "the christ sound" aint that pleasant somtimes imho and his mixing skills is lacking (way too much treble on a lot of tracks, where did the low frequencys go?? now some tracks almost hurts my ear of the way hes mixing the tracks..)

I think Chris would want you to judge his music on it's own merits rather than compare it to BoC - and I like his music a lot.

i think you're right. so, judging it on its own merits, I say this: he writes pretty nice melodies, the beats tend to be slightly generic, and the production is awful.

i haven't heard vernor vinge yet. hopefully it's less swampy than MRM.

Guest Archrival

Its swampy as hell....compare Christs tracks to the remixers tracks on that EP! :) Prhizzm and dDamage really outshines Christ when it comes to just plain production on this EP...

and whats up with those sounds that comes in at 1:09 at the title track!?!?!?! what did he think??? the production still lacks on the vernor vinge EP...but those melodies Christ makes is GODLY! Vernor Vinge and One Sunny Cloud got amazing ace melodies!!! Still like Christ a lot, he made a lot of good tracks and his stuff is definitly worth checking out.

Guest Archrival

yeah its those distorted kicks...ugh!

and it sounds like the CD didnt get mastered...his tracks sounds so much lower in volume than the remixers tracks..but I checked the wavs and it seems ok, tho.

I don't know what you lot are talking about MRM being "muddy" - mine has always been crystal clear - either that, or I don't have an ear developed enough to hear the differences.

Perhaps he's going for that broken, poorly recorded sound intentionally...?

the cd's muddy as fuck, has some terrible upper mid 'blooms' and some harsh tops.

the vinyl is a lot better. (but still not great.)... mastered by two differnet people.

I don't know what you lot are talking about MRM being "muddy" - mine has always been crystal clear - either that, or I don't have an ear developed enough to hear the differences.

Perhaps he's going for that broken, poorly recorded sound intentionally...?

sorry JR, but it's muddy as all hell. the mid to high frequencies bleed so badly that there's digital distortion on a lot of the tracks. i'm pretty sure this was not intentional. it makes the album very difficult to listen to on headphones (constant volume lowering to prevent ear destruction).

Guest Raddcliff

i agree with what youre saying...but you can look at the waves and you can hear clipping ear rattling distortion of highs. my bloody valentine has controlled distortion. and MUCH better quality that christ's recording. noise does not equate bad recording. shitty levels, poor eq, bad balance of sounds and clipping do. mbv was a poor choice.

some people would say that my bloody valentine has the worst production ever. other people find it original and like it the way it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with Christ.'s production, I like it very much. Yes, it has lots of reverb, delay, etc., but it's clear as well. It's just down to taste(ok that was for the last time).

Archived