IGNORED

Machinedrum - Human Energy

usagi

Good post joshuatx - agreed on all counts.

yeah maybe an iffy post but joshatx is a fine fellow of watmm, I wouldn't like to upset him as he's a cool dude.

but these patronizing, ridiculous album descriptions actually make my blood boil!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post joshuatx - agreed on all counts.

yeah maybe an iffy post but joshatx is a fine fellow of watmm, I wouldn't like to upset him as he's a cool dude.

but these patronizing, ridiculous album descriptions actually make my blood boil!

One side of still wants to rip that description to shreds. Had one of those classic written out posts I subsequently closed out and returned to later after some thought. I'm really on the fence TBH - I mean I stand by what I posted and like what I've heard/optimistic of stuff to come but I admit if it wasn't Machinedrum specifically it'd 100% a different story. 

Also, playing devil's advocate here FYI, I think the overwrought and maddeningly self-important description is meant to get this in the ear of review sites. I was skimming past reviews on pfork, metacritic, etc. and he's always averaged around 70% which I find a bit shocking. So I wouldn't be surprised that this D-Day level of promo and PR efforting on Ninja Tune results in a belated thumbs up for Travis' career so far with a BNM from pfork and this album cracking end of year lists, regardless of whether it's objectively good. Hell this has been the case of Flylo. 1983 and LA are watershed releases among fans and producers but critically among "professional reviewers" scored lower than his last 3 LPs.

I've heard about ten seconds of the do it 4 u track and I might listen to all of it, but the other tracks I've heard so far are imo pure shit. As joshuatx said he's done lots of good music for many years, he's obviously talented, a great producer, etc., he can do whatever he wants as an artist blah blah but I don't like the music which is of course all that matters to me. Also, hippy dippy healing crystal good human energy vibes etc is total silliness in my mind, but the extra shit besides the music can be ignored.

For the record, only about 2/3rds of Vapor City was good anyway, I felt like something weak was on the way. But no matter, the album isn't even out yet, we're just yapping.

Positivity and light is pretty rad, but yeah. The three tracks posted aren’t doing a lot for me. Also the kerning of the text on the album graphics: Y U Kern Me So Bad? ft. Adobe Photoshop probably. Hopefully those aren’t final renders.

real tracklist leaked:

1. a new earth (ft. qigong jin)

2. cristal healing

3. nrg medicine 

4. hologram bracelets, dabs, swag

5. viberation

6. dank aura (ft. lite therapy)

7. vizuleyes my <3

8. asmr u ok?

9. flower essence

10. u can touch it

I almost mentioned healing crystals, but I knew someone would get to it eventually.

TS still is a talented artist tho, don't get me wrong. I just prefer his work from last decade, especially when he was with Merck. I'm not saying I dislike the direction he's taking. I'm just unsure how I feel about it, and I meant it.

I almost mentioned healing crystals, but I knew someone would get to it eventually.

I am the only on this thread not turned off by that? It's a rampant trope in undergound / cassette scene drone, ambient, kosmische, etc. It's even been around in the beat scene too - Leaving Records has this vibe on lock and the label owner Matthewdavid has been openly obsessed with new age ideas and aesthetics. 

People forget new age silliness went hand-in-hand with a lot of really great and even groundbreaking ambient music in the 70s and 80s, though lately a lot of such music has been reissued and repressed. JD Emmanuel, Steven Halpern, Laraaji (who Eno noticed back in the 80s and produced for), etc. 

If anything I'm a little baffled by and actually find it interesting Machinedrum of all people is interested in this. Assuming it shapes some of the music. I hope. Because right now the "healing crystals" aspect seems overshadowed by the "hipster A.I. computer generated tumblr gif + pink/blue filter" vibe.

I am the only on this thread not turned off by that? It's a rampant trope in undergound / cassette scene drone, ambient, kosmische, etc. It's even been around in the beat scene too - Leaving Records has this vibe on lock and the label owner Matthewdavid has been openly obsessed with new age ideas and aesthetics. 

People forget new age silliness went hand-in-hand with a lot of really great and even groundbreaking ambient music in the 70s and 80s, though lately a lot of such music has been reissued and repressed. JD Emmanuel, Steven Halpern, Laraaji (who Eno noticed back in the 80s and produced for), etc. 

If anything I'm a little baffled by and actually find it interesting Machinedrum of all people is interested in this. Assuming it shapes some of the music. I hope. Because right now the "healing crystals" aspect seems overshadowed by the "hipster A.I. computer generated tumblr gif + pink/blue filter" vibe.

That Light in the Attic comp is amazing. Stupendous. V wise post from tha ’uatx here

Archived