IGNORED

Machinedrum - Human Energy

usagi

Mmmm... coked-out broads ftw.

exhibit A of everything trite and meaningless in EDM these days

Aw man, can't you see that Trevor's found love, and that this album is just an expression of the unadulterated joy during this phase of his life?

Nah, just kidding, the music still blows.  He locked on to something good with Room(s), which in retrospect strikes me as one of those magical right place (mu) / right time albums where a dude with his production chops saw the light, connected the dots between emo-juke, jungle, footwork, etc. and created something way greater than the sum of its parts.  I reckon its a huge challenge for artists of all stripes to deal with a beakout success like that, suddenly you're more self aware and the weight of expectation looms large, esp. when the new label you've signed to is counting on moving unit$.  But yeah, each successive iteration since has seen his sound more and more diluted by cliched EDM/RNB blandness.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe because it was a bright counterpoint to the usual stuff at BF, but it sounded phenomenal live. I fucking loved it.

His production chops are undeniable, that's his real saving grace and why I can't fully drink the hatorade, merely stir my straw in it.

Mmmm... coked-out broads ftw.

exhibit A of everything trite and meaningless in EDM these days

Aw man, can't you see that Trevor's found love, and that this album is just an expression of the unadulterated joy during this phase of his life?

Nah, just kidding, the music still blows.  He locked on to something good with Room(s), which in retrospect strikes me as one of those magical right place (mu) / right time albums where a dude with his production chops saw the light, connected the dots between emo-juke, jungle, footwork, etc. and created something way greater than the sum of its parts.  I reckon its a huge challenge for artists of all stripes to deal with a beakout success like that, suddenly you're more self aware and the weight of expectation looms large, esp. when the new label you've signed to is counting on moving unit$.  But yeah, each successive iteration since has seen his sound more and more diluted by cliched EDM/RNB blandness.

Similar feelings to what you posted, I think touched on them earlier in the thread somewhat.

just an expression of the unadulterated joy during this phase

joking aside I get that - there's another artist who is pretty up front about his un-ironic love of new age stuff and positivity, having a family, and all that hippie dippie jazz (and he's in L.A.), Matthewdavid, but his music is a lot more interesting, raw, eclectic and uncommercial IMO

Funny enough the wife and I was just in L.A. last week, and I could only fit in 45 minutes for Amoeba, which was just cruel  :catcry:  I've known of matthewdavid through Brainfeeder but haven't check out any of his solo stuff yet... can you recommend a good place to start?  As a parent and sane person in an insane world I need all the hippie dippie shit I can get

• 2 months later...

TStew put this up last night, a decent little chill track. Better than what I heard from Human Energy, this has a bit of his older style touches to it.

• 2 months later...

Archived