IGNORED

Classic Breaks

Braintree

Does anyone have a pack of classic breaks in high quality?

Sorry if this is in another thread, but I couldn't find it. Also, Googling turned up a ton of old, low quality bullshit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

make them yourself

Make classic breaks yourself?

I understand your remark - be creative and program your own drum breaks! However, to recreate the colour and particular sound quality of drum breaks sampled off of records from the 30s to the 80s would be quite a feat.

http://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats

here's a good one. both wav and rex, use some sort of batch downloader to grab all the waves in one go.

Cheers!

make them yourself

I used to share your opinion. However, I usually make them myself and I'm getting bored with my process. I just want to fuck around with them and the only high quality easily available break is the amen.

make them yourself

I understand your remark - be creative and program your own drum breaks! However, to recreate the colour and particular sound quality of drum breaks sampled off of records from the 30s to the 80s would be quite a feat.

i feel like this has to be a troll comment

It's pretty challenging to recreate all of the ghost hits a real drummer does. It can be done, it's just a big time sink.

my method for finding breaks no one else will use is i look up drum kit reviews on line, convert the video to mp3 then resample the drummer. theres a gold mine and its wise to use videos with the least amount of views. i used to resample strictly old funk records for that crispy sound, but i got tired of hearing the same break in other peoples songs.

if you do what i mentioned and aren't happy with how crisp the drums are and you want to give it a vinyl-esque sound do this:

cut up your sample and make a kit out of it and program yourself a break

then place that break on a grid and on a separate track record the air in a room, compress them together and then bounce the combination and voila. always works for me, and it works best if you're using a crappy mic. i use my iPhone mic for air to overlay my tracks with.

http://rhythm-lab.com/breakbeats

here's a good one. both wav and rex, use some sort of batch downloader to grab all the waves in one go. 

Great find! I'm downloading these right now. Thanks!

I feel like even "not the best quality" sampled breaks are fully usable; reason being that tons of EQ is always required to fully utilize a break without being a piece of shit electronic musician. That being said, my favorite amen version that I have is called amenst.wav, that I downloaded like 500 years ago, prolly from some site called "coolphatbreakbeatloopz.co.uk".

Also, I've never read it anywhere, but I noticed that Squarepusher most likely used drumagog on some of his late 90's tracks. I concluded this by this one part in one of his tracks, where the timing and dynamics are exactly the amen break but with different sounds (drumagog replaces drums in a loop). This is actually an IDM secret that can be used to make amazing breakz, because the amen is basically the god break. So- always use amen, then replace the samples with different drums. *BOOM*. You're welcome.

make them yourself

I used to share your opinion. However, I usually make them myself and I'm getting bored with my process. I just want to fuck around with them and the only high quality easily available break is the amen.

make them yourself

i feel like this has to be a troll comment

It's pretty challenging to recreate all of the ghost hits a real drummer does. It can be done, it's just a big time sink.

yeah i'm with you. i meant the original comment was probably a troll one. because it's very obvious why it is hard to make 'classic' funk breaks on your own. god imagine the amount of time setting all that up in each individual studio where each funk track was recorded, with all those classic microphones and effects units that are worth thousands today, getting the reverb and EQ just right. you could make 5 tracks in that time at least. 

phylum - i'm in love with that idea about sampling youtube reviews, excellent :D 

Wasn't trolling. I suppose I just AM that dumb >_>

• 4 weeks later...

I found a huge bunch on this hip hop site(yeah hip-hop site OF COURSE WHY I DID NOT THINK ABOUT IT you re probably thinking ! :D ), hip hop breaks loops samples pack,comes in a few volumes,never needed anything else.In wav too.Best site ive found for classic breaks(and FREE)

http://www.thesample.net/category/samples/

here are the links

http://www.thesample.net/2010/12/50-classic-hip-hop-break-loops-vol-1/

http://www.thesample.net/2010/12/50-classic-hip-hop-break-loops-vol-2/

http://www.thesample.net/2011/01/50-classic-hip-hop-break-loops-vol-3/

http://www.thesample.net/2012/05/50-free-classic-hip-hop-break-loops-vol-4/

http://www.thesample.net/2011/02/rare-hip-hop-drum-breaks-vol-1/

if you dl these you wont need anything else in the classic breaks area,loads and loads of breaks!

I feel like even "not the best quality" sampled breaks are fully usable; reason being that tons of EQ is always required to fully utilize a break without being a piece of shit electronic musician. That being said, my favorite amen version that I have is called amenst.wav, that I downloaded like 500 years ago, prolly from some site called "coolphatbreakbeatloopz.co.uk".

Also, I've never read it anywhere, but I noticed that Squarepusher most likely used drumagog on some of his late 90's tracks. I concluded this by this one part in one of his tracks, where the timing and dynamics are exactly the amen break but with different sounds (drumagog replaces drums in a loop). This is actually an IDM secret that can be used to make amazing breakz, because the amen is basically the god break. So- always use amen, then replace the samples with different drums. *BOOM*. You're welcome.

Wow ive got to check drumagog!

Times were so much simpler then. Now people think breaks are passe and too 90s... I say...  FUCK EM!  :music: 

my method for finding breaks no one else will use is i look up drum kit reviews on line, convert the video to mp3 then resample the drummer.

Been there, done that. Well, still do sometimes. Look up jazz lessons too, and drumming lessons in general. There's usually more variety with jazz though.. usually. I have tons of samples I've recorded for myself.

Soulseek the original tracks? 

I need a soul first

Well it will always have popularity. Though I remember watching an anthony fantano review of something squarepusher did, and said something like 'breaks were intense in the 90s' as if that were the point of breaks. He was basically implying that breaks were kinda boring now. Which is condescending, as if breaks matter. What matters is if you like the track, not whether or not breaks are used.

Times were so much simpler then. Now people think breaks are passe and too 90s... I say...  FUCK EM!  :music: 

nah breaks are bound to come back. sometimes on the local collage / indie stations there are tracks with 90s dnb breakbeats layered over the top, which is a cool sound. 

Man I've heard the "think about it" break A LOT lately, not just in grime and underground house but also in indie pop and dance quite often. That rave stuff Lone and other future bass producers delved in years ago never went away. . I'm actually pretty sure they are back in vogue, in fact often I hear them sprinkled in or cut up into fairly novel rhythms or more subtle ways, like the Ben Kahn track I posted.

90s classic trip-hop is getting a pretty decent revival too

Well it will always have popularity. Though I remember watching an anthony fantano review of something squarepusher did, and said something like 'breaks were intense in the 90s' as if that were the point of breaks. He was basically implying that breaks were kinda boring now. Which is condescending, as if breaks matter. What matters is if you like the track, not whether or not breaks are used.

Maybe he was talking about full-fledged drill n bass/ drum n bass/ jungle stuff. Or just squarepushers discography specifically. Either way he's not really speaking for some general public consensus, that's for sure. He's pretty divisive.

yeah i think this has been the general attitude since grime and dubstep got big in the last decade i suppose. that big beat sound was very heavily associated with late 90s hacker / y2k aesthetic and it just got so played out. but you know what else is played out? boring minimalist beats with some drip crooning over the top with reverb. it's just so pretentious, at least big beat was fun and full of energy. give me chemical brothers over james blake any day, please. 

ps y2k hacker fashion needs to come back. i feel like most fashion trends morph into something else but that one just hit a dead end and then we were just left with cargo shorts and camo prints. 00's fashion was very dull. come to think of it that whole decade was a huge drab disappointment up until maybe 07 or so. 

Hacker/Y2k aesthetic is due for a big comeback in the next 3 years.

Archived