Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Volca Kick & ARP Odyssey desktop module
New stuff coming October

Korg

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/ffours

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:46 AM

https://www.resident...s.aspx?id=36219

Korg has revealed the Volca Kick and ARP Odyssey Module.

The Volca Kick is a one-voice synthesiser designed to produce low-pitched percussion and basses. It's sound source is an analogue, self-oscillating filter modelled on the company's MS20 circuit, which is then shaped by Pitch/Octave, Bend and Time parameters. The signal path continues with a pulse generator, before hitting a VCA with Attack and Decay settings, an analogue drive circuit and finally a 12db/oct low-pass filter labelled Tone. Like other Volcas, the new model can link multiple sequences into chains extending up to 256 steps and features Motion Sequence and Touch FX functionality.

The ARP Odyssey Module is a desktop version of Korg's remake of the original ARP Odyssey, which was built in 1972. It contains the same feature set as the keyboard version but with a smaller size more conducive to compact studio setups. It will be available in a choice of white or black.

[youtubehd]rgs7p17ElOY[/youtubehd]

Korg will release the Volca Kick and ARP Odyssey Module in October, 2016 for $159.99 and $599.99 respectively.

Edited by b born droid, 01 September 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#2 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:50 AM

Odyssey Video from Korg's site:

[youtubehd]rwkWgiy1LJo[/youtubehd]

Dunno how to embed Soundcloud but here's some samples; https://soundcloud.com/arpsynth/sets

Edited by b born droid, 01 September 2016 - 03:53 AM.

#3 Gocab

Gocab

10K Forum Marathon

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,840 posts
  • 21 topics
  • Joined 10-September 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adoomedventure
  • PSN:Rabovenk

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:54 AM

Those are good looking modules.

#4 BCM

BCM

The King

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,841 posts
  • 285 topics
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

meh at the kick thing, modules look alright

Edited by BCM, 01 September 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#5 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:07 AM

The kick was about the only part of the Volca Beats that sounded any good so I can imagine it'd be a decent thing to pick up for £100 or so.  But then again if it still has the same shitty noisy output of the other Volca's then maybe not.

#6 Audioblysk

Audioblysk

The Lysergic Lush

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • 60 topics
  • Joined 11-November 11
  • Interests:Music, Space and Consciousness

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:41 AM

I kinda liked the kick thing. The arp actually has VCO's from the look of it so that's pretty snazzy.

Depending on price, these would be good additions. Worst thing to happen is that I buy them for cheap, lose interest or sample the hell out of them, then Craigslist them.

#7 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,647 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

I kinda want the kick. It's really the only thing I'd want to use on an analog drum machine so it appeals to me. I can imagine it'd make quite a racket coupled with nanoloop. Speaking of which I think nanoloop mono would cover most of the territory of the volca kick so I'll wait until that arrives first :D

Also re: noisy output. I never had a problem with that when I had the volca keys. They're not exactly pro-level machines..

#8 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:54 AM

Also re: noisy output. I never had a problem with that when I had the volca keys. They're not exactly pro-level machines..

No you are quite right, but I still thought it was more than ideal, even for the price etc.  After a while it just annoyed me, but that might be my OCD speaking  :emb:

Edited by b born droid, 01 September 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#9 Guest_bitroast_*

Guest_bitroast_*
  • Guests
  • 21 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

I kinda want the kick. It's really the only thing I'd want to use on an analog drum machine so it appeals to me. I can imagine it'd make quite a racket coupled with nanoloop. Speaking of which I think nanoloop mono would cover most of the territory of the volca kick so I'll wait until that arrives first :D

i know this is kind of riffing off of exactly what you just said, but the kick has grabbed my attention for similar reasons. 

#10 peace 7

peace 7

* L A Z E R *

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 25-June 13
  • SoundCloud URL:777gogogo
  • Interests:Consciousness

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

Korg's been on meth in recent years.

#11 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

Assuming this and the Behringer are actually good, it looks like this might be the year that the big manufacturers finally realize their strongest niche is using economies of scale and mass fabrication to produce solid, conservative, bread and butter synths and at prices smaller companies can't afford, which theoretically should free up the smaller companies and individuals to focus on what they do best, which is innovation, placebo-level attention to detail, and filling small, esoteric niches.  It's the way the synth market should have been for the last decade. 

The Synth world might finally get its Fender.

A friend of mine inherited an Odyssey a couple years ago and eventually sold it two weeks before I realized I could have raised the money to buy it from him in installments.  I'll be honest, if the sound is there that Korg looks better in some ways (mostly form factor).

#12 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

According to the VSE forums, the price was officially announced:

$599

With everything being assembled by robots and most of the R&D already done 40 years ago, there's no reason why $599 shouldn't be enough for a company the size of Korg to put out a very respectable synth for that price.

#13 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • 20 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Pardon that grammatical trainwreck up there.

#14 QQQ

QQQ

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 29-December 14
  • XBOX360:HappyMeltedCity
  • Wii U Username:HappyMeltedCity

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

not sure if it warrants it's own thread but they are also bringing out a new version of the microkorg:

#15 juiceciuj

juiceciuj

mew nember

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 18-August 14
  • PSN:juiceciuj
  • Steam:juiceciuj

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:30 PM

hard to believe that thing (mks) only has 64 user writable slots. it's 2016 and memory is absurdly cheap. elektron machines give you hundreds of slots. what gives?

#16 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

hard to believe that thing (mks) only has 64 user writable slots. it's 2016 and memory is absurdly cheap. elektron machines give you hundreds of slots. what gives?

hmmm... 'limitations stimulate creativity' kind of philosophy? considerable limitation would be not buying the synth and music would just floooow ...oh, and i could make myself deaf for some extra limits  :cisfor:

Edited by xox, 01 September 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#17 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

That kick looks like what the Volca Beats should have been.

#18 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,376 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

good posts rsp :)

i really like the look of the arp modules, wow kork ily  :wub:  :wub:

#19 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • 101 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

good posts rsp :)

Stopped clock etc. etc.

#20 Alan Ord

Alan Ord

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 28-July 14
  • Interests:CRYING IN YOUR FACE

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

The kick was the best part of the Volca Beats. Would prefer a Beats v2 with pattern chaining and a decent snare... 

The Arp modules look very sexy but I've never liked their sound. The MS20 module sounds a lot better. 

#21 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • 93 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:16 AM

The kick was the best part of the Volca Beats. Would prefer a Beats v2 with pattern chaining and a decent snare... 

The Arp modules look very sexy but I've never liked their sound. The MS20 module sounds a lot better. 

The snare is halfway decent if you do that capacitor mod.  I didn't have as big a ceramic disc capacitor handy as the one in the well known video about the mod and it does seem to matter, mine is like 2/3 the sound of that video and 1/3 the old sound, but it's still an improvement.  Of course now the PCM and hi hats are way too quiet relative to the snare and kick but it's still more useful than stock.

I feel like the whole thing is voiced for the internal speaker rather than recording, actually.  Before doing mods I tried it with the speaker a few times Just to see what it sounded like and the balance between all of the different voices (with all the levels full) was actually pretty spot on, and the stock snare sounded a lot more interesting.

I was at a little local show a few months ago and someone was using one stock with no effects, and somehow or other she'd gotten it to sound really good, maybe it just needs to be blasted though a 3 way PA system to perform to its fullest.

#22 ganus

ganus

professional ganus

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 22-January 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/sephamusic

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Oh man, I am totally selling my Dark Energy MK1 for that desktop Arp. I have always loved the arp sound. Stoked.

#23 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

I feel like the whole thing is voiced for the internal speaker rather than recording, actually.  Before doing mods I tried it with the speaker a few times Just to see what it sounded like and the balance between all of the different voices (with all the levels full) was actually pretty spot on, and the stock snare sounded a lot more interesting.

That would make a lot of sense if they thought the internal speaker was a primary selling point to the volca's marketing strategy. The burnt-sounding snare does sound better on that shitty speaker than the snappy one. That might qualify for a reason why Korg chose to make that manufacturing decision to not include the capacitor by what their press statement claimed in one of the articles about about the snare mod.

Damn.

Edited by Entorwellian, 02 September 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#24 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • 155 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Might well grab one of these with part of the extra $900-ish I'm making this month and wait to see how the Behringer stacks up in real world use before I take a risk on it, there's always tax returns for that if it's good.

Though I really do need a passable analog poly more than I need another monosynth.  Not a day goes by I don't miss the old Poly61 and practice space with Junos just lying around (because they were so cheap one of my bandmates just picked them up whenever for a while; stopped when they started to push $500 becuase it was way too much for a Juno 60). And I'm not even very old yet.

Edited by RSP, 02 September 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#25 Mesh Gear Fox

Mesh Gear Fox

not even going to read the thread lmao but check this out →

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,376 posts
  • Joined 17-February 09
  • PSN:Grill_Vogel

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

the snare on the beats is fine but it just lacks range. it's good for kraftwerk esque bleepy bloopy electronics or some light synth pop. but it doesn't stand out much otherwise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Korg