IGNORED

Biosphere - Cirque reissue (2CD/3LP)

purlieu

a1301536178_16.jpg

Been waiting for this one (guessing that the Touch 2CD of Substrata will suffice for that), wasn't expecting it so soon though.

Comes with a 6 track bonus CD:

1. When I Leave (Finely Tuned Version)

2. Algae & Fungi (Candeleria Version)

3. Minuarta

4. Hoodoo

5. Slowly Etching

6. B9

Out 1st November on Biophon.

• Like 1

For some reason until recently I only actually had Substrata on CD, the others were on my 'to get' list for ages but as they've gone in and out of print on several labels with loads of different cover art over the years I've never got around to getting them. It's nice to get version direct from Gier so I'm definitely excited to have this. Those two new versions sound interesting. I don't like the two he did after this but if/when he gets around to doing a reissue of Dropsonde I'm going to be a happy camper. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So he's pushed back the release date to 11th November, but started shipping them out last week.  :cerious:

Think this is my favourite of the bonus discs so far. The Microgravity disc and Patashnik 2 both had what sounded like lo-fi demos amongst the other tracks, this collection is all really high quality though. Definitely more than a few hints of Kompakt-style dub techno on here.

• 3 years later...

3+ year bump on this but I completely agree about the bonus tracks. They are almost better than the album. At the very least they make this reissue worth it. I could listen to When I leave finely tuned version for hours. Geir has major skills in all departments.

just got into biosphere at the end of last year with his first couple albums.  so im listening to this fresh, and its also amazing.  algae and fungi pt2 hits deep in that position late in the album.  just getting to the bonus tracks now

• 11 months later...

I’ve been diving back into the Biosphere back catalog as a soundtrack to these dark winter days.

I feel I have a newfound appreciation for Gier’s work lately. The Cirque reissue might be peak Biosphere for me. Excellent all the way through.

ya basically every album up to n-plants is fucking killer. i like n-plants but it was a departure and a lateral step. possibly a halfstep down.

but i will say again that when i leave finely tuned version is one of my favorite tracks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for the bumpty bump - I never bought this reissue first time round and am really in the mood for some older freezing Biosphere jammzzz. Agree with you on the n-plants thing, I think it's like the sound is far too digitally clean or something - Missing all the huge vibe of every release from Dropsonde backwards (not heard his field recording album from '06)