IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

yeh this thing is pretty much what a lot of people would hope Apple would do...

meanwhile, so far the only confirmed leak from the new Apple stuff is this:

vxjhucxazma4bsucnt8n.jpg

the big innovation we have been waiting for: with the new MacBook Pro you can buy shit on the internet like a Pro.

Beats headphones cost 300 fucking dollars ?!!!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like an imitation Mac desktop, that hockey puck thing is kinda novel.  A niche market for sure; graphic designers, A/V people that don't use a Mac?

lol, no it doesn't.

apple have been losing design people to windows for a long time now. lots of artists moved over to surface when it came out for example. cad/architecture/engineering has always been windows focused, 3d design/animation too. video editing is fairly evenly split at this point I think. graphic design and publishing was the apple base, but windows has been eating into that for a while now.

Seems like an imitation Mac desktop, that hockey puck thing is kinda novel.  A niche market for sure; graphic designers, A/V people that don't use a Mac?

lol, no it doesn't.

apple have been losing design people to windows for a long time now. lots of artists moved over to surface when it came out for example. cad/architecture/engineering has always been windows focused, 3d design/animation too. video editing is fairly evenly split at this point I think. graphic design and publishing was the apple base, but windows has been eating into that for a while now.

LOL, I mean the body design is similar to a Mac desktop.  I work in engineering so thanks for telling me what I already knew.

LOL, I mean the body design is similar to a Mac desktop.  

no it's not.

it's clearly a continuation of the general surface aesthetic. the hinge, the bezel, the colours, all totally different from the mac.

I work in engineering so thanks for telling me what I already knew.

Why did you think it would be a niche thing for A/V people and graphic designers who aren't on a mac then?

yeh how would one even question this. New MSFT is clearly trying to out-Apple Apple. Basically premium hardware strongly inspired by Apple stuff but with their own distinct user interface idioms, I.e. touch on a desktop OS. Which Apple doesn't.

btw:

z66zjrlb9878zw4zo7ro.jpg

iMac patent, seen in an article from 2010

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html

the problem is Apple doesn't ever release this, likely because they think it's not mainstream enough and it's a bit of a shame. However, it is likely true, a 3000$ all in one is certainly a niche computer.

then you must be blind. on basically every point of comparison they look different (shiny curved stand vs. chromed hinge attached to matt base containing the components; static screen vs. freely movable counterweighted spring hinge; very very thick lcd with giant bezel containing the components vs. incredibly thin lcd with virtually no bezel only containing the screen components); even the peripherals look totally different. I mean it's a computer so they both have screens, they both have wireless peripherals. within the constraints of designing a modern all-in-one desktop, it would be hard to come up with two more different designs really. you're coming across as a parody of an apple fanboi right now.

edit: above was to rubin.

However, it is likely true, a 3000$ all in one is certainly a niche computer. 

It's a niche computer for the average user, but not to a professional.

yeah for some pros this thing certainly is compelling.... but tbh I'd bet most who look for a powerful desktop would rather get a powerful box & get peripherals cut out for their needs instead of an all-in-one imo. otoh there are a lot of iMacs in design studios etc and they may consider this surface thing instead for the next upgrade cycle, who knows.

yeah for some pros this thing certainly is compelling.... but tbh I'd bet most who look for a powerful desktop would rather get a powerful box & get peripherals cut out for their needs instead of an all-in-one imo. otoh there are a lot of iMacs in design studios etc and they may consider this surface thing instead for the next upgrade cycle, who knows.

this thing isn't really aimed at directly competing with iMacs, seeing as it offers numerous capabilities not present in one of them it's basically a separate class of device, you could get one of these to replace an imac/wacom tablet combo, and you'd still have extra features not present with both of them. if this thing is competing with anything directly then it would be a Cintiq.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/10/26/the-surface-studio

yeh MSFT are totally out to steal customers from Apple with this and it looks like they're doing a decent job trying.

which is hopefully good for Apple customers too. Puts pressure on Apple to stay ahead, which they will either try to do and reconcile with the prosumer/pro customer base, or, bad ending: they decide to not give a fuck and the Mac will just fizzle out. macOS computers are what, 15% of their revenue and shrinking? Tbh Tim Cook probably doesn't even use macOS.

guess we will find out in 4 and a half hours

yeh MSFT are totally out to steal customers from Apple with this and it looks like they're doing a decent job trying.

which is hopefully good for Apple customers too. Puts pressure on Apple to stay ahead, which they will either try to do and reconcile with the prosumer/pro customer base, or, bad ending: they decide to not give a fuck and the Mac will just fizzle out. macOS computers are what, 15% of their revenue and shrinking? Tbh Tim Cook probably doesn't even use macOS.

guess we will find out in 4 and a half hours

oh is the release today?? i mean the launch talk what ever the conference thing is called lol 

Surface products are neat-o, but I have use for touch on a desktop OS. I wish MS would do a line of normal laptops as well.

edit - as a Mac user I'm quite happy to see Apple getting smoked this year.

Yep, Apple's announcement is at 1PM EST today.

I agree - Microsoft's starting to nibble away at Apple - I sure as hell hope it spurs them to innovate, as I think they've been resting on their laurels a bit too much lately.

What astounds me is that Apple, being pioneers and innovators in touchscreens and touchscreen UIs, have yet to even offer it on their notebook and desktop lines. I sure as hell hope they've been quietly working on it for years and haven't done anything because they felt it wasn't quite up to their standards.

That Surface Studio is amazing - I would totally get one if it wasn't so damn expensive, but for the money I think it's totally worth it.

Archived