IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's still incredibly dumb, escape is one of the most used keys, moving it to somewhere else on the keyboard is going to annoy the fuck out of touch typists everywhere, as is having to tap some vague non-physical button you'll have to look down at to see where it is because you can't find it with your finger alone (and which may not even be there in certain contexts). it's annoying enough that people are trying to do away with function keys (at least most laptops have a button where you can toggle them on permanently if they've been replaced with some dumb media buttons and other crud, more annoying is when you have to use a modifier key to use them, so now we have to add a modifier to accesses already modifier-ed shortcuts - no, I don't want to have to type shift+alt+fn+F2). I predict this touch bar thing will be jettisoned in the next product cycle.

you can remap all modifier keys with 10.12.1 tho, e.g. map caps-lock to escape. Which I'll do even tho I have an escape key.

still. Slept on it, and definitely not interested in buying dese new expensive laptops. This piece sums it up nicely:

https://medium.com/charged-tech/apple-just-told-the-world-it-has-no-idea-who-the-mac-is-for-722a2438389b#.92zyyroi9

Agreed, good points in that. They've been focused on keeping the money rolling in (of course, they're a business first) with iPhones and such, but they've lost their way in trying to keep the computer afloat. They could really see their brand hurt by this if they're not careful over the next year or so.

The new MacBook Pro, in the same segment (mid-high end, i7,15'') of the one I bought 4 years ago, costs exactly 1000€ more than what I had payed for.

This and no new Mac Pro, iMac or Mac Mini, so basically no new desktop upgrades for that real "Pro" part of users anymore… Great job !

I'm never upset about new products but this time, knowing that I'll have to upgrade soon my late 2011 MBP that I use for everything (work, music, etc.), and knowing that other options are Windows, old hardware overpriced Apple computers or new overly-overpriced MBP I'm hoping my machine will live at least another year or two.

Now, let's talk about real interesting features of the new MacBook Pro, like 2.5X louder bass, 58% more volume and 2X dynamic range.

2011 Mac Mini here too, I plan on keeping it another few years, at least. Going to upgrade to SSDs next...support will drop for it in a year or two as far as new OS goes, but the new macOS stuff is so incremental I doubt it'll matter for a while.

2011 Mac Mini here too, I plan on keeping it another few years, at least. Going to upgrade to SSDs next...support will drop for it in a year or two as far as new OS goes, but the new macOS stuff is so incremental I doubt it'll matter for a while.

Yeah, SSD is next on the upgrading list for me too.

I love my computer, it's going strong after all these years – computer wise. I use it a lot everyday since I got it, running pretty demanding stuff too like CPU renderings and photo editing. I'm concerned about OS support in the future as well as softwares'.

To me, the Apple company that cared about graphic designers, video editors, photographers, producers and media professionals in general is long time gone. If you look now, OS releases include just new iPhone and social networking integration, useless features like Siri and new wallpapers. Hardware for professionals, as said, is non-existent – no more desktop machines, no more high-end hardware in general, no more cinema displays, …

Now their demographic is just Instagram people.

What do they use at Apple for coding and developing apps and softwares? 4 years old iMacs and Mac Pros?

Just looked at it and though ... no way, they can't ditch an actually useful key can they ?!! Turns out there *can* be an esc put in to the touchbar bit:

18808-18293-161026-Hands-l.jpg

optional escape key dongle will only be $99.99

I understand Apple wanting to push technology forward, but just LOL @ the fact you cannot connect their flagship phone to their flagship laptop without purchasing an additional 20.00 USD cable (thunderbolt 3 to lightning).

I'm not buying any more Apple hardware beyond their phones/watches - you can build a Hackintosh (not a laptop, granted) that is as powerful and is far, far cheaper.

And that's exactly what I intend on doing next year - my 2011 MBP is still chugging along, with an SSD and 32 GB RAM (which I paid far far less than what Apple would have charged).

The Touch Bar is an interesting and innovative idea (and of course forces you to buy a MBP for it, as I am sure Apple has patented the shit out of it), but how it actually is utilized remains to be seen.

Yeah, SSD is next on the upgrading list for me too.

I love my computer, it's going strong after all these years – computer wise. I use it a lot everyday since I got it, running pretty demanding stuff too like CPU renderings and photo editing. I'm concerned about OS support in the future as well as softwares'.

To me, the Apple company that cared about graphic designers, video editors, photographers, producers and media professionals in general is long time gone. If you look now, OS releases include just new iPhone and social networking integration, useless features like Siri and new wallpapers. Hardware for professionals, as said, is non-existent – no more desktop machines, no more high-end hardware in general, no more cinema displays, …

Now their demographic is just Instagram people.

What do they use at Apple for coding and developing apps and softwares? 4 years old iMacs and Mac Pros?

The Mac Pro is still an innovative and powerful desktop... that Apple hardly mentions anymore.

Yeah, that's why I got this. (zenbook pro)

It's more powerful, except maybe the apple processor is stronger, but probably not by much. The graphics card is a GTX 960M which is pretty powerful and can run most games well. (and you can actually play games if you like to unlike apple). The chasis is mostly metal similar to the macbook. It's very light and thin, maybe not as thin and light as macbooks but honestly at a certain point it the size becomes meaningless and the zenbook fits into this category. definitely small enough. 4k display looks fucking awesome. has usb, hdmi, thunderbolt, sd card reader. keyboard feels great. trackpad is decent although I don't use trackpads that often anyhow. 

anyway here is a side by side comparison. I don't see the upside to the macbook at all.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-15-inch-2015-vs-asus-zenbook-pro-ux501/

Not having touchscreen on all your devices is now considered outdated. Touchscreen improves functionality in so many ways. Microsoft outdid Apple this cycle imo.

asus-zenbook-pro-ux501v-nw-g02.jpg\

Surface is so good too. I got one for my mobile work. great functionality, very nice design, love everything about it. I don't even have to use paper anymore, because I can take notes directly on it. the $100 keyboard cover that you get has a really nice trackpad and keyboard on it especially considering how small it is. I was blown away by how good it feels.

surface-pro-4-with-type-cover.jpg?itok=x

And the new surface desktop and surface dial look fucking awesome to use for design work.

surface-studio1.jpg?w=1024&h=573

will probably get a new lappy next year. toss up between zenbook, razerblade (ack) or surface. want something that can play tekken and sfv at 1080. i wish these companies would offer one of their newer laptops with a 1080 screen. i can't discern more than that on a laptop unless i'm trying to be a dick and would greatly prefer the power/$$$ savings.

how would you compare the zenbook to a mac re: build and feel. it's really the only thing that macs had over other laptops in my opinion and it seems like that's steadily being eaten away at. really wanna get my hands on these surface/zen/razers and see how they actually feel to use.

How well does the hackintosh run? I switched to MacOS because I hated to update drivers, softwares and antivirus every week, dealing with crashes and freezes. I love the interface and generally how things works, from installing apps to using Finder. I have built computers before but I would not like the hassle of checking if hardware is compatible with every OS release.

I switched to MacOS because I hated to update drivers, softwares and antivirus every week

When was this - the latter gets down automatically to update new virus signatures and the former two you shouldn't have to do unless your existing software or hardware just doesn't work as is!

Bear in mind at work I'm using Premiere on a Mac and we've had had to get the IT guys to update Premiere Pro 3 times in the last 6 weeks due to bugs. Flaky software and drivers is not a Windows exclusive thing !

will probably get a new lappy next year. toss up between zenbook, razerblade (ack) or surface. want something that can play tekken and sfv at 1080. i wish these companies would offer one of their newer laptops with a 1080 screen. i can't discern more than that on a laptop unless i'm trying to be a dick and would greatly prefer the power/$$$ savings.

how would you compare the zenbook to a mac re: build and feel. it's really the only thing that macs had over other laptops in my opinion and it seems like that's steadily being eaten away at. really wanna get my hands on these surface/zen/razers and see how they actually feel to use.

my last laptop was a zenbook, it's a good few years old now (was one of the first ones), and I gave it to my sister, just using a surface 3 now (and not a very powerful one, but if I need to do anything taxing on it I just remote into my desktop). the build quality on it was top notch though, spec was good, ran windows 10 very fast (had windows 7 installed on it originally). I was having a few problems with overheating on it in the last few months, would occasionally reboot itself when it overheated, I think the fan may have not been pulling it's weight, but aside from that never had any problems with it. newer ones are even slimmer and faster, would definitely recommend them. can't compare to macbook though, never owned anything made by apple.

Using Windows reminds me of an awful experience overall and that is also confirmed everytime I have to do some maintenance on my folks PC. I use MacOS everyday for hours and hours (21st century life!) and I can say the experience is smooth. Just hitting the spacebar to get a preview of files is a simple thing I could not live without. The only bugs I get are from a quite indie and small software I use for designing typefaces and others are from a 3D software when a lot of polygons are involved. And when there's a system update it's always flawless from download to install

macos is a hideous abomination. my current laptop is my wife's 5yr old mbp that i slapped an ssd in and immediately installed win10. computer feels good to use. could probably really hurt somebody with it if i needed to.

How well does the hackintosh run? I switched to MacOS because I hated to update drivers, softwares and antivirus every week, dealing with crashes and freezes. I love the interface and generally how things works, from installing apps to using Finder. I have built computers before but I would not like the hassle of checking if hardware is compatible with every OS release.

haven't tried yet but looked into it a few months ago (and then decided to wait for whatever apple would announce). Basically you have to buy the correct parts i.e. fully compatible mainboard/CPU/GPU/wifi etc and there's good resources for choosing these parts: https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2016

the one big hack is the EFI firmware where you have to use a custom thing called Clover to be able to boot macOS, but even that is apparently rather simple/reliable. And, apparently the whole thing is pretty stable nowadays. Even updating the OS seems to just work.

I'm gonna try soonish..

that's still incredibly dumb, escape is one of the most used keys, moving it to somewhere else on the keyboard is going to annoy the fuck out of touch typists everywhere

nah tbh you're a bit crazy imo, the ESC key is most certainly not one of the most used keys, and if it were its top-left location would be dumb as fuck.

that's still incredibly dumb, escape is one of the most used keys, moving it to somewhere else on the keyboard is going to annoy the fuck out of touch typists everywhere

nah tbh you're a bit crazy imo, the ESC key is most certainly not one of the most used keys, and if it were its top-left location would be dumb as fuck.

If you're a programmer who uses a certain editor, ESC key is invaluable. Otherwise, not much of an issue.

If you're a programmer who uses a certain editor, ESC key is invaluable. Otherwise, not much of an issue.

It's not just about VIM users, or even programming, mostly the problem is with cancelling things, I probably use it hundreds of times a day myself (mostly while programming, escaping out of context menus, pop-ups, refactorings, etc., but also a large amount of time in general usage). If you're hands on the keyboard the majority of the time, and not just for typing, you'll almost certainly be using the escape key.

Also, this OLED touch strip is an idiotic idea. The whole point of the keyboard is for you to use it without having to look at it, or even think about what you're doing. Visual shit should be happening up on the screen where you can pay attention to it without interrupting your thought process, if you have to constantly look down to pick out a touch screen button on your keyboard it'll be a major interruption. Might be fine for casual users, people who can't use computers properly to begin with, but will annoy the fuck out of everyone else, and nobody will use it. The little context activated scenarios seemed incredibly dumb as well, like the djing example, just give the fucking thing a touchscreen like a normal computer maker in 2016 ffs.

Yeah, that's why I got this. (zenbook pro)

It's more powerful, except maybe the apple processor is stronger, but probably not by much. The graphics card is a GTX 960M which is pretty powerful and can run most games well. (and you can actually play games if you like to unlike apple). The chasis is mostly metal similar to the macbook. It's very light and thin, maybe not as thin and light as macbooks but honestly at a certain point it the size becomes meaningless and the zenbook fits into this category. definitely small enough. 4k display looks fucking awesome. has usb, hdmi, thunderbolt, sd card reader. keyboard feels great. trackpad is decent although I don't use trackpads that often anyhow. 

anyway here is a side by side comparison. I don't see the upside to the macbook at all.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-15-inch-2015-vs-asus-zenbook-pro-ux501/

Not having touchscreen on all your devices is now considered outdated. Touchscreen improves functionality in so many ways. Microsoft outdid Apple this cycle imo.

asus-zenbook-pro-ux501v-nw-g02.jpg\

Surface is so good too. I got one for my mobile work. great functionality, very nice design, love everything about it. I don't even have to use paper anymore, because I can take notes directly on it. the $100 keyboard cover that you get has a really nice trackpad and keyboard on it especially considering how small it is. I was blown away by how good it feels.

surface-pro-4-with-type-cover.jpg?itok=x

And the new surface desktop and surface dial look fucking awesome to use for design work.

surface-studio1.jpg?w=1024&h=573

You might want to read about what some creatives had to say regarding the Surface Studio:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/28/microsoft-surface-studio-designer-reaction/

The two main drawbacks I see to it are a) it's not upgradable and the spec is basically a computer from two years ago (like a Mac, ha!), and b) the pen doesn't have the sensitivity that Wacom pens have, not to mention the software support is very light right now.

That being said, the Apple pencil (which is a stupid fucking name for a product like this) also lacks in the sensitivity/latency department like the Surface Pen does.

If anyone was considering this for a semi-pro or pro creative workflow, I'd say invest in a Wacom Cintiq with a beefy custom PC and the prospect of future upgradability.

Touchscreens on laptops are idiotic. Holding your arms up for any length of time gets tiring - as you would do for DJing. It also adds another point of complexity - what do you do when your touchscreen breaks? At least when the touch strip breaks you can just remap keys.

If you're hands on the keyboard the majority of the time, and not just for typing, you'll almost certainly be using the escape key.

With your hands on the keyboard, what are you doing besides typing, or using the keyboard for text-related work (copy/paste, shortcuts in excel etc)?

Also, do you honestly consider someone who can't touch type "someone who can't use a computer properly"?

Also, this OLED touch strip is an idiotic idea. The whole point of the keyboard is for you to use it without having to look at it, or even think about what you're doing. Visual shit should be happening up on the screen where you can pay attention to it without interrupting your thought process, if you have to constantly look down to pick out a touch screen button on your keyboard it'll be a major interruption. Might be fine for casual users, people who can't use computers properly to begin with, but will annoy the fuck out of everyone else, and nobody will use it. The little context activated scenarios seemed incredibly dumb as well, like the djing example, just give the fucking thing a touchscreen like a normal computer maker in 2016 ffs.

Agreed - shocking that macOS still doesn't have touch support (even fucking Windows Vista had it, although it was half-assed at best)

Archived