IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

I switched to MacOS because I hated to update drivers, softwares and antivirus every week

When was this - the latter gets down automatically to update new virus signatures and the former two you shouldn't have to do unless your existing software or hardware just doesn't work as is!

Bear in mind at work I'm using Premiere on a Mac and we've had had to get the IT guys to update Premiere Pro 3 times in the last 6 weeks due to bugs. Flaky software and drivers is not a Windows exclusive thing !

Yeah, that's an Adobe thing (trust me, I know your pain)

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Touchscreens on laptops are idiotic. Holding your arms up for any length of time gets tiring - as you would do for DJing. It also adds another point of complexity - what do you do when your touchscreen breaks? At least when the touch strip breaks you can just remap keys.

that gorilla arm argument makes no sense, a laptop screen isn't exactly much further away from you than the keyboard, and it's not like you're going to sit there with your arms extended the whole time anyway. if you need to use it for extended periods you can just angle the screen backwards, and if you're djing or something like that you're going to be standing up anyway, so it's not going to be a problem because your arms will be bent at the elbows not extended outwards. As someone who's had a surface for a good while now I can tell you that it's not a problem, and once Apple finally start including touchscreens in their laptops they'll dump that bogus argument and pretend it they never had a problem with it to begin with. 

With your hands on the keyboard, what are you doing besides typing, or using the keyboard for text-related work (copy/paste, shortcuts in excel etc)?

Also, do you honestly consider someone who can't touch type "someone who can't use a computer properly"?

Typing, moving the cursor around, changing between windows, selecting text, copying/pasting, firing off shortcuts, hitting the escape key. I barely touch my mouse when I'm working away.

If you can't touch type then you're not getting the most out of your computer (as long as you're doing something on it that requires that kind of productivity of course, obviously for lots of people who just browse the web and send the odd email or whatever it's not going to be a big deal). So yes, lots of people (most?) can't use a computer properly, I encounter them all the time in my work dealing with users of our software.

You might want to read about what some creatives had to say regarding the Surface Studio:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/28/microsoft-surface-studio-designer-reaction/

The two main drawbacks I see to it are a) it's not upgradable and the spec is basically a computer from two years ago (like a Mac, ha!), and b) the pen doesn't have the sensitivity that Wacom pens have, not to mention the software support is very light right now.

That being said, the Apple pencil (which is a stupid fucking name for a product like this) also lacks in the sensitivity/latency department like the Surface Pen does.

If anyone was considering this for a semi-pro or pro creative workflow, I'd say invest in a Wacom Cintiq with a beefy custom PC and the prospect of future upgradability.

There seem to be conflicting reviews, which is hardly surprising as most people haven't had much time to spend with it yet, this guy seems very positive about it:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/10/26/the-surface-studio

The surface pen doesn't have much in the way of latency or sensitivity problems btw (on my surface 3 it's fine for regular writing in onenote, the newer ones are better, 1024 pressure levels vs 256, has an extra button too, not sure if this new one will have any upgrades), the main problem is it doesn't have tilt sensing, but apparently the quality of the screen makes up for that quite a lot (it's far better than the cintiq), and you could probably use the dial to play around with your stroke while you used it to replicate some of what you get with tilt.

lol this argument is becoming ridiculous. how is "hitting the escape key" now a discreet activity separate from typing?

If you're just typing out streams of words mostly then you mightn't use the escape key all that much. If you're a power user or a programmer or something like that you probably use the keyboard for far more than just inputting words.

Touchscreens on laptops are idiotic. Holding your arms up for any length of time gets tiring - as you would do for DJing. It also adds another point of complexity - what do you do when your touchscreen breaks? At least when the touch strip breaks you can just remap keys.

that gorilla arm argument makes no sense, a laptop screen isn't exactly much further away from you than the keyboard, and it's not like you're going to sit there with your arms extended the whole time anyway. if you need to use it for extended periods you can just angle the screen backwards, and if you're djing or something like that you're going to be standing up anyway, so it's not going to be a problem because your arms will be bent at the elbows not extended outwards. As someone who's had a surface for a good while now I can tell you that it's not a problem, and once Apple finally start including touchscreens in their laptops they'll dump that bogus argument and pretend it they never had a problem with it to begin with.

With your hands on the keyboard, what are you doing besides typing, or using the keyboard for text-related work (copy/paste, shortcuts in excel etc)?

Also, do you honestly consider someone who can't touch type "someone who can't use a computer properly"?

Typing, moving the cursor around, changing between windows, selecting text, copying/pasting, firing off shortcuts, hitting the escape key. I barely touch my mouse when I'm working away.

If you can't touch type then you're not getting the most out of your computer (as long as you're doing something on it that requires that kind of productivity of course, obviously for lots of people who just browse the web and send the odd email or whatever it's not going to be a big deal). So yes, lots of people (most?) can't use a computer properly, I encounter them all the time in my work dealing with users of our software.

Lol good to know that when I'm typing out reports in my non-touch type fashion I'm not using it productively.

Moving the cursor around with your keyboard? I mean sure tab to jump fields, but are you using the arrow keys to move the cursor? Anyways, I'm guessing the average user won't miss the escape key that much at all. As I said, programmers yes, others no. But luckily you'll be able to retrain that muscle memory, or just not use these MacBooks.

Also if you barely touch your mouse when you're working, I'm guessing you barely use the touch screen...

Lol good to know that when I'm typing out reports in my non-touch type fashion I'm not using it productively.

Moving the cursor around with your keyboard? I mean sure tab to jump fields, but are you using the arrow keys to move the cursor? Anyways, I'm guessing the average user won't miss the escape key that much at all. As I said, programmers yes, others no. But luckily you'll be able to retrain that muscle memory, or just not use these MacBooks.

Also if you barely touch your mouse when you're working, I'm guessing you barely use the touch screen...

well obviously you could be faster and thus more productive. but trust me, there are a lot of people who can barely use a computer.

if I'm coding or even just in a word document or spreadsheet I'll be using the following constantly: ctrl+left/right/up/down, (ctrl+)home/end, add shift to them for selecting, and various shortcuts for searching, jumping around bookmarks/breakpoints, symbol navigation, collapsing/expanding blocks of text, and changing between open files - and that's just for navigation, loads more for editing stuff. various of those things require being cancelled out of, and that's where the escape key comes in handy. I use the mouse as well, and the scroll wheel, but that's mostly for passive use, reviewing shit, browsing the web.

I don't have a touch screen when I'm working, I have three non-touch LCDs (Surface screen is too small to do any serious programming compared to that), though my tablet is often on my desk so I might tap at it from time to time if a notification pops up or whatever. if I'm using the Surface though I'll swap between all the interfaces regularly (touch - including the on-screen keyboard, keyboard-cover, bluetooth keyboard+mouse) depending on what I'm doing with it (if it's docked, on a desk, on my lap, in my hands), I'd use touch a lot while also using the keyboard cover.

I do a weird combo of looking and touch typing. My WPM is pretty good.

When writing in English, we usually begin sentences with upper case letters, so maybe you want to retrain that reach to the shift key.

reviews for the low-end one are coming in, this is a good one:

tl;dw:

- screen: nice

- keyboard: shit

- price: lol

- everything else: meh

My brother works at Apple and he's all hype telling me how amazing the new laptops are and I'm just here laughing at the whole I thing. I don't know what to tell him...

you should get a touch screen and sit next to him exaggerating all your movements while touching the screen and see if he gets the hint. 

reviews for the low-end one are coming in, this is a good one:

tl;dw:

- screen: nice

- keyboard: shit

- price: lol

- everything else: meh

That trackpad is big enough to catch a gopher.

Also that escape key is huge for all you whiny programmers itt.  :wang:

that keyboard looks so shit, but maybe it feels decent. surface pro feels good and it looks shit so maybe. but the amount of action in those keys seems awful to me.

Also that escape key is huge for all you whiny programmers itt.  :wang:

That's the model without the OLED touch bar in video

Yes I know that was the point, for anyone complaining about the lack of a dedicated escape key with the touchbar version of the laptop, Apple made the escape key huge in the cheap " model.

also, it's not huge, it's tiny, it's tiny and long. height is far more important. there was no valid reason for them to ditch the key, they could've just put it to the left of the touch bar, or kept the physical function key row and put the touch bar above it (rather than wasting space on an unreasonably large touchpad). seems like a really dumb move on their part, especially seeing as how they've actually made good inroads with programmers in recent years (there used to virtually no programmers using macs, bar the tiny group of people writing mac software, but they're quite popular in the web programming world now).

Caze (male, 20-30s, white, white-ish): also, it's not huge, it's tiny, it's tiny and long. height is far more important.

Jessica (young & attractive, maybe mixed race): touch the physical function and touch it 

Caze: rather than wasting space on an unreasonably large...

Jessica: seems like a really dumb move especially using the tiny soft

Caze: but they're quite popular in the world.

Archived