IGNORED

Petty reasons to dislike music

Bechuga

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the hip hop discussion this study may also be relevant

https://psmag.com/rap-music-remains-uniquely-threatening-6a2ed61e1676#.a5m8jo10q

"Too many brothers heading to the big penn."

-Tupac Shakur

Yeah, Tupac, kinda like that little kid that caught your stray bullet. What a fucking piece of shit. Act like an asshole and then wonder why things are so shitty.

Do you make sure your heroin is ethically sourced as well? Serious question.

edit - in the least snarky way possible

I mean, if you really actually wanna know about the ethics of my consumerism (and you're genuinely not sniping at me):

I haven't touched heroin specifically in quite a few years, maybe like 6 or 7. (O's and poppy seeds are my jam.) The Afghanistan stuff (I assume that's roughly what you're referring to) didn't come by these parts.

But honestly back then (6 or 7 years ago) I didn't think about how every action is a political action, whether it's buying soda or clothes or drugs or whatever. It is not a natural intuition of ours that this soda I'm buying here and now is either making things better or worse somewhere else.

But yeah, I am neurotic about the impact of my consumerism. I only buy 2nd hand clothes, I don't eat meat (I lapsed back into vegetarianism about a year ago and am trying to climb back to veganism...but I've been a vegetarian or vegan for 17 years), I walk everywhere, I "buy local" and stuff like that, and avoid buying Nestle, Poland Spring, CocaCola products...

I'm far from perfect but I try to make a sincere effort. But this stuff is not easy, and it's so highly abstract that it's not even visible unless something brings your attention to it.

Definitely not having a go at you or anything. I was just wondering how you squared drug use with your views on gangs and (some) Rap.

How I square my drug use with my being anti-violence?

Do you smoke weed? Do you always know exactly where it comes from?

Since illicit drug markets are unregulated (and thus no legal recourse for settling disputes), disputes are "settled" with violence. The alcohol prohibition was extremely violent, and people like Al Capone ran the show. Then alcohol was legalized, and for some reason all the violence stopped.

I want the violence to stop, and that's why I support de-criminalizing (and regulating) drugs. Portugal de-criminalized heroin and paradoxically heroin use dropped by 50%. And no brutal cartels running the show.

Edit: Portugal or Venezuala, I always forget which

Definitely not having a go at you or anything. I was just wondering how you squared drug use with your views on gangs and (some) Rap.

How I square my drug use with my being anti-violence?

Do you smoke weed? Do you always know exactly where it comes from?

Since illicit drug markets are unregulated (and thus no legal recourse for settling disputes), disputes are "settled" with violence. The alcohol prohibition was extremely violent, and people like Al Capone ran the show. Then alcohol was legalized, and for some reason all the violence stopped.

I want the violence to stop, and that's why I support de-criminalizing (and regulating) drugs. Portugal de-criminalized heroin and paradoxically heroin use dropped by 50%. And no brutal cartels running the show.

Edit: Portugal or Venezuala, I always forget which

I'm inadvertently straight edge or something, so I don't smoke.

I wasn't trying to suggest that drug use is immoral in and of itself, but we both know that we live in a country whose laws fuel rampant drug violence.

Believe me, I'm all in favor of legalization, but in the meantime I don't see how it's possible to be an ethical consumer of narcotics. It's unjust, but the realities are what they are.

Well again, I haven't used heroin itself in a long time.

But either way, violence isn't limited to black markets...Apple products, Coca-Cola, diamonds, Nike, products imported from dictatorships...consumerism is a minefield of bad actors using violence (directly or indirectly) to make money. It's not just hard drugs that bring these sorts of problems.

Beyond a certain point, moral vigilance on the part of consumers is a very sloppy fix...for instance, instead of everyone going vegetarian, we just need lab-grown meat...or instead of everyone trying their darnedest to have a small carbon footprint, we just need clean energy that's cheaper than dirty energy...

Archived