IGNORED

Day for Night Festival

nizzleone

Be careful walking around downtown, especially at night, it has a lot of homeless shelters and the jail is there, so there can be unsavory characters about. I would use Uber to get around, or public transit. Some cab drivers aren't the best.

True, but I've been here at night, and it really depends on what part of downtown - I don't recall the area by the post office too well, but of course err on the side of caution.

I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat right now - I'll say why later :wink:

As for "things to do in Houston", if you are at all interested in great Texas BBQ, look no further than Goode Company BBQ, which has two locations: http://www.goodecompany.com/bbq.asp - both are somewhat close to downtown (15-20 minute car ride), and since this will be December, you might consider the Katy Freeway location as it has ample indoor seating, whereas the Kirby location is outside mostly seating.

Downtown is really not known for great dining spots, but the surrounding areas like The Heights has some nice places. I'll see if I can think of more stuff that might be of interest to WATMMers.

Sadly, there really isn't a great record shop in Houston - the last place I used to go was Soundwaves, which is in the Montrose area near downtown, but I haven't been there in probably close to 10 years. That was where I used to get my music before the internet came along and made it too damn easy to order stuff :dadjoke:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat right now - I'll say why later :wink:

You tease you

hnhnngngnhghghngghhhhgngngngnghghgngnnnnnnngggghhhHGHHHGHHGNNNHGHHHNHGHNGHHGNNNGNGHHHHHGHGNGNGNNGGNGGHHHHHG

Be careful walking around downtown, especially at night, it has a lot of homeless shelters and the jail is there, so there can be unsavory characters about. I would use Uber to get around, or public transit. Some cab drivers aren't the best.

True, but I've been here at night, and it really depends on what part of downtown - I don't recall the area by the post office too well, but of course err on the side of caution.

yeah. hard to know. i mean there are definitely places you don't want to be in atlanta at nite but you'll also hear suburbanites talking shit about how they wouldn't be caught dead in atlantic station or midtown after dark and it's just like :facepalm:

I really hope squarepusher does his ufabulum style performance with the synched headset and screen etc.

Yeah it's worth staying (relatively) sober for and watching. I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to live music, but the Squarepusher experience is well worth your time. In my most humblest of opinions.

I really hope squarepusher does his ufabulum style performance with the synched headset and screen etc.

Yeah it's worth staying (relatively) sober for and watching. I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to live music, but the Squarepusher experience is well worth your time. In my most humblest of opinions.

i saw this set at moogfest and found it borderline abusive. the excessively loud highs accompanied by what was basically an hour long super bright strobe light in your face was so exhaustive i almost left before he played journey to reedham (note that i actually liked the album a good deal). i would much much rather see last year's shobaleader set again. i dipped before his damogen set so i guess i could tolerate seeing that live as well even though i didn't care that much for the album.

i saw this set at moogfest and found it borderline abusive. the excessively loud highs accompanied by what was basically an hour long super bright strobe light in your face was so exhaustive i almost left before he played journey to reedham (note that i actually liked the album a good deal). i would much much rather see last year's shobaleader set again. i dipped before his damogen set so i guess i could tolerate seeing that live as well even though i didn't care that much for the album.

that's good I like being abused. 

seriously though you can just bring sunglasses to wear if you think it's going to be too bright.

squarepusher live is a little bit.... preposterous these days really

ok old guy

On another note, there is some mediocre festival/edm shit on this bill. ewww

I should make a list of 'places to go and see' in Houston, eh?

Please. You know, I lived in College Station for two years (where I did my master's) and I only visited Houston twice. It was a while ago, and I've moved around a lot since then. I would appreciate the tips. I recall that it was one of the more decent and not quintessentially Texan places I visited in Texas (next to Austin, of course). 

Archived