IGNORED

Day for Night Festival

nizzleone

I've never seen aphex live but have seen a ton of youtube footage etc... From what I have seen, this looks to be his best live experience ever? It really comes across that he wanted to actually make people happy and lose their minds. Some other live footage, while great, doesn't have this amazing vibe... and dare I say unabashed positivity and fun? Not to mention the production itself is crazy. Thoughts?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen aphex live but have seen a ton of youtube footage etc... From what I have seen, this looks to be his best live experience ever? It really comes across that he wanted to actually make people happy and lose their minds. Some other live footage, while great, doesn't have this amazing vibe... and dare I say unabashed positivity and fun? Not to mention the production itself is crazy. Thoughts?

It seems like it was maybe his best DJ set, and he did play 1 track live too which was exciting. I don't know how it would compare to the actual full on live sets of the 90's. I saw him in 2003 in Norway and his energy was great, he got up on his table and did a silly exaggerated dance and made faces at the crowd. He moved on to his laptop mid set and he did a couple of live tracks then too, even a Drukqs track! 

ya it seemed like his best set since the atp one which is ma fave

It seems like it was maybe his best DJ set, and he did play 1 track live too which was exciting. I don't know how it would compare to the actual full on live sets of the 90's. I saw him in 2003 in Norway and his energy was great, he got up on his table and did a silly exaggerated dance and made faces at the crowd. He moved on to his laptop mid set and he did a couple of live tracks then too, even a Drukqs track! 

haha. wow.. the Norway show does sound very cool. An all live hardware show would be great. I bet he could pull off a 'surgeon' style modular set. Even if it didn't consist of tracks we all knew, would be awesome to see him jam out on a modular machine and create a hypnotic aphexian vibe.

Tbh this set was par for the course for 'twin - why the hell you think i travelled so far just to see him. He's normally/always amazing!

Damn! you did travel far. Ireland?? Well that's good to hear. Maybe it was the stories of intentionally harsh, unbearable shows (bjork opening, sandpaper, the rephlex show where he just showed up to flip the record etc) that makes me think this is so different. I know lately they have been consistently great.. but this great? Wow. I'm kicking myself HARD for not going.

yes this great... he's the master at atmosphere, at tension and release, at hard as fuck driving momentum, twists and turns, musical mayhem and punchy building chaos with tons of musical easter eggs and sideways puzzles to unravel..... 

yes this great... he's the master at atmosphere, at tension and release, at hard as fuck driving momentum, twists and turns, musical mayhem and punchy building chaos with tons of musical easter eggs and sideways puzzles to unravel..... 

I will say his mastery over the elements is impressive, that cold downpouring rain hit right at the perfect moment! 

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if it's completely obvious from the video, but that's the track that was playing when the weather shenanigans first started. before the rain and the cold, around 1:00~ into that track, huge gusts of wind start blowing, everyone slowly realizes what's happening, cheers start erupting all over. so perfect.. in that moment it definitely felt as though the sound was coaxing nature.

it's even better now knowing that the track is called 'industrial disease'.

not sure if it's completely obvious from the video, but that's the track that was playing when the weather shenanigans first started. before the rain and the cold, around 1:00~ into that track, huge gusts of wind start blowing, everyone slowly realizes what's happening, cheers start erupting all over. so perfect.. in that moment it definitely felt as though the sound was coaxing nature.

Yeah... especially since that wind probably blew tonnes of pollution into the crowd's lungs, and the rain washed the toxins down on them as well (we get air quality alerts in Houston from time to time, especially in the Summer).

Yeah... especially since that wind probably blew tonnes of pollution into the crowd's lungs, and the rain washed the toxins down on them as well (we get air quality alerts in Houston from time to time, especially in the Summer).

interesting, may explain some things. thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Apparently DFN is still alive after all? Website says it's returning december 15-17 and apparently these clips are teasing the lineup, which seems really late to announce by now

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXxzfq4BGzc

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX25rv5Bbap

Lol @ everyone hoping for BOC in the comments

I'd see BOC wherever i could! Especially at a fest like D4N, they would probably build them their own installation to perform in.

The lineup was announced in mid-late September last year so they seem to be on their usual timetable. 

Archived