IGNORED

Does anyone on here know anything about guitars?

andihow

Ahh, cheers dudes, sounds safer than I thought. I'll try this tonight. 

Yah, don't forget to update this thread with tracks of your guitar wankery.  Just like, 15 minute tracks of scale riffing in octuple time.

I intend on learning to either shread or learn to play joe satriani solos verbatim. 

Oh, so you're just starting out?  Cool, man.  Have fun!!!  I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now, and I'm still kind of shit.  I've recently been passionately focusing on making my guitar sing, though, and I'm making progress.  I play mostly blues, with low gain.  Siiiiing, myaaaaan.....  I'm trying to play even like ONE NOTE, just full of heart and soul and all that shit.  It's insane.  The potential for emotional expression with electric guitar is immense...  Lifelong journey, man.

Fuck, dude.  Like Derek Trucks can channel vocal lines from the gods with his slide guitar playing, and it's really beautiful.  Johnny Hiland is also a big inspiration for me with regards to creating strong emotional contexts through improv.  I'm finally getting to the point where I'm able to slightly taste what it'd be like for the guitar to become transparent.

You ever watch the music video for Joe Satriani's Always With Me, Always With You?  It's a sweet track, but what the fuck is going on in the music video?  There's obviously a massive fire that's just off screen to the left, and they're all just sitting there jamming.  And Satriani's guitar isn't even plugged-in to anything.  And then there is this 90's sexy type girl, who is just cooly enjoying life and absorbing Satriani's vibez.  And then there's the actual non-music-video-world context of the video, like, how the hell could a guitarist who doesn't sing release solo albums on major labels back in the day?  It's almost an electronic musician ideology, but somehow in the 80's and 90's that shit was possible.  In recent years I'm realizing just how artistic a lot of old school major label releases were.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a guitar off eBay when I was in highschool. It was called The Shredder and had a "super cool" electric font.

It was a total piece of shit.

playing bar chords doesnt qualify you to call yourself a guitarist. learn Moonshadow by Cat Stevens. Play the bass note continually while you play the top notes independently.  It can takes years to be able to do that. I still cant do it

yeah, i'd love to be able to comp whilst playing bass notes independently and then throwing in some riffs up topity. I was just too lazeerillee. I'd imagine that it's not that hard, you've just got to make it your mission.

playing bar chords doesnt qualify you to call yourself a guitarist. learn Moonshadow by Cat Stevens. Play the bass note continually while you play the top notes independently.  It can takes years to be able to do that. I still cant do it

What?-- barre chords are essential for playing chords around the neck, and it comes in handy if you're doing any type of comping style.  Even the walking bassline style you mention is easier accomplished by playing the bass notes with your index finger, then playing chord shapes and melodic lines based on chord shapes with your free 3 fingers.  Anyone who's a master of barre chords is probably quite well versed in guitar.  They might not immediately be Chet Atkins, but they're prolly not shit.

What?-- barre chords are essential for playing chords around the neck, and it comes in handy if you're doing any type of comping style.  Even the walking bassline style you mention is easier accomplished by playing the bass notes with your index finger, then playing chord shapes and melodic lines based on chord shapes with your free 3 fingers.  Anyone who's a master of barre chords is probably quite well versed in guitar.  They might not immediately be Chet Atkins, but they're prolly not shit.

yeah bar chords are one of my weak points. maybe it's because I have mini key fingers :P

yeah bar chords are one of my weak points. maybe it's because I have mini key fingers :P

Yah, I tend to feel more comfortable with super fast necks (Gibson style wide necks feel awkward initially), but then I think of Django Reinhardt's left hand...  I basically have no excuses!!!

Anytime I feel I have a fretting problem with guitar- I remember Django.  Oh, Django...  

I went down this road and that's the only way I can play well now.

Fast necks feel great but bulky necks sound great, it's a balancing act.  Same with action, the higher your action the better your guitar sounds, as long as it's still low enough that you can play it.

word

[youtubehd]ssMeYsUs-5g[/youtubehd]

Lets remember though, there is no correct or best way to play a guitar ;)

I understand that this attitude is meant to be helpful, but I think we do a HUGE disservice to pretend that all physical ways of playing are equally valid...I mean, let's not pretend we don't know anything about physics or the kinetics of the human body or economy of motion...

This "everything is equally valid" attitude is a great way to ensure that nobody improves...and it has permeated the culture like wildfire, and so great everyone feels content where they are, the "weekend warriors" think that what separates them from (e.g.) AFX is natural talent and so nobody works their ass off or develops discipline and just shrugs and says "oh well"

And if you point out that certain creative problems have specific technical solutions, then you get called a snob...

RE: perunamuussi ---  Yes- Chet Atkins, Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass, Tommy Emmanuel, Jimi Hendrix--- my influences all shine through in that video which fabulously displays my guitar virtuosity.

You misread me limpy. I said nothing about bad/good playing, I said there is no right way to do it. If you're good, you shine through regardless of what you play. A person can play simple things and if they have "it" they make anything sound good. We all know that there are mediocre players in the industry, that will never change, sometimes the song or low and behold "the image" outweighs the actual skill.

Archived