IGNORED

Does anyone on here know anything about guitars?

andihow

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"ffs"

why are you getting defensive and aggressive? 

I did wink after my initial post, meaning I was being cheeky and taking the piss. If you read your post it reads like you you stormed into a room, ripped off your shirt, threw back your fan blown hair and in a deep and forcefull way shouted "Y'all muthafuckers need to learn legato techniques… if you want guitar to be easy" then pulled out a Ibanez Jem and burst a meaningless speed lick and disappeared in a puff of mauve smoke.

I know you were too taking the piss so… I felt it warranted my response. Seems I was wrong.

Well dude, yeah my first post was just a light bit of advice

But every time I give any advice on this sorta stuff I immediately regret it

Every time

"If you guys are having trouble with the neck--as you say you are--then y'all should learn legato technique"

"lol fuck off"

There most indubitably is no "only one way" to use a musical instrument, but when I watch and listen to Rory Hoffman play guitar, it does make apparent that my "standard method" of using/holding a guitar is unquestionably "limiting" (he plays chord voicings that are impossible, unless one holds the guitar neck with their shoulder or something).  But of course, it's not about using a tool to have the most possibilities-- it's about using it how you like and how it makes you feel good, in your heart but also your brain and genitalia.

fuck off

nah, you first. what's with the vitriol anyway?

That's how you've responded to posts in the past, so I was biting your style.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I've waited more than 2 months.  I am a patient man.  

Can anyone post their guitar wankery in this thread (especially OP)?  I wanna hear what WATMM guitar sounds like.  One day I'll post my new guitar wankery, but until then, here is ditty of mine from 2010:

[sc5]3657896[/sc5]

Okay, I've waited more than 2 months. I am a patient man.

Can anyone post their guitar wankery in this thread (especially OP)? I wanna hear what WATMM guitar sounds like. One day I'll post my new guitar wankery, but until then, here is ditty of mine from 2010:

[sc5]3657896[/sc5]

Any requests?

Can anyone post their guitar wankery in this thread (especially OP)? I wanna hear what WATMM guitar sounds like. One day I'll post my new guitar wankery, but until then, here is ditty of mine from 2010:

[sc5]3657896[/sc5]

Any requests?

Eugene's Trick Bag

[sc5]3657896[/sc5]

Any requests?

Eugene's Trick Bag
Alright well, I don't know that tune, but I just learned a few bars and so here's me struggling to play it lol https://vimeo.com/194407515:

Strangely I haven't recorded much of my guitar noodling; these days I pretty much just (try to) learn to play the solos I write in Renoise, and play rhythm guitar. I really should start just jamming again. I'm hoping to record all of the guitar parts for my new album next week so may have something to show off when it's done :D

Pretty good Limpy! You took my joke and bested me, hat doffed. Although I'l like to see you play the later parts on that guitar without 24 frets ;)

So here's my two feeble guitars:

geetars.jpg

One cost $800 (imported from US), the other I swapped a CD for. Can you tell which is which?

I don't really do rad solos (not good at them and not much interested either) so I mostly just do rhythmy stuff, often to make samples out of. Here's the ESP (through a Line6 amp, sounds good once EQ'ed / run through digital amps):

[sc5]296406942[/sc5]

Here's the cheap ass guitar which is tuned down two tones and I use as a pretend seven string. It has so little power that even with the amp on full drive / distortion it barely sounds loud enough:

[sc5]296407215[/sc5]

This song and the one in my signature both have sampled guitars in them and now that I know how to do it, I plan to make more. Once I've done some more practise and broken some of this rust off me fingers / guitars:

[sc5]293040706[/sc5]

I have barely touched my guitar in the last 4-5 years, but I bought the BIAS amp plugin earlier this year and had a whole evening's worth of fun downloading Guitar Hero stems and replacing James Hetfield's riff tracks with my own (and boosting Newstead's bass while I was at it).

https://clyp.it/soou53pt

fuck that sounds wicked, nice deep tone!

and yeah it's a fkn crime that the bass is too low on justice, what I've heard from the guitar hero remixes sounds awesome. I hope they do a 30th anniversary remix of it.

edit: also reminds me to get back into playing along with that album, I used to do it all the time when I was 15. the middle sections of harvester of sorrow and frayed ends of sanity get me every time.

edit again: FUCK I love the solos on shortest straw, especially that second one where he's playing in a different key to the rest of the song

Guest Chesney

Yep, I too used to love playing along with that album at 15 ha. Everyone in the band was at their peak. Kirk could solo with inventiveness and some of Lars' backbeat fills, woah. Only thing lacks as you say, is the bass in the mix. Oh Metallica, what happened to you?

Sooo rad bech!

Pretty good Limpy! You took my joke and bested me, hat doffed. Although I'l like to see you play the later parts on that guitar without 24 frets ;)

geetars.jpg

One cost $800 (imported from US), the other I swapped a CD for. Can you tell which is which?

I don't know, but the one on the left is a sweet guitar, I really miss the days of finding those in pawn shops for $20-$30 US.  I've gone through a few but I haven't had one in years and I miss them. Classic trashy 60s garage sounds on tap but they actually play well unlike most lower cost guitars of their day.

Last one I had had been painted white with house paint very badly.

Nice ditties LimpyLoo~!

geetars.jpg

I don't know, but the one on the left is a sweet guitar, I really miss the days of finding those in pawn shops for $20-$30 US.  I've gone through a few but I haven't had one in years and I miss them. Classic trashy 60s garage sounds on tap but they actually play well unlike most lower cost guitars of their day.

Last one I had had been painted white with house paint very badly.

I used to have a siiimilar guitar to the one on the left as well, but it was like, a really shitty copy of a Teisco or something like that.  The frets were still square-ish (what the fuck?), the tuners were all rusted locked, body was plywood, the neck was huge baseball-bat shaped- it was almost like a prototype of an actual guitar (I wanted to fix it up, never got around to it).  BUT, the pickups sounded amazing, and I wish I had saved them before throwing the guitar out.  The pickups were so low output- and possibly also microphonic- that anyway, there was this crazy 3-D raw sound that was fantastic.  From that experience, I realized that low-output pickups are required to get a certain type of rawness from the strings/body/etc.

Holy fuck, I found pics (from 2006):

git1.jpggit3.jpggit4.jpg

Shit- If I still had the guitar, I'd fix it up into the beauty that it could be.

Similarly, this guitar (Aria Diamond 1402T with Bruno branding, 1967~1968, sold in 2009) had super low output pickups, so it was really raw and jangly as well (basically, most vintage Japanese guitars are waaay undervalued, so pick em up, yo):

craigslist-guitar-1.jpgcraigslist-guitar-3.jpg

those are nice guitars, peace!

I notice aliexpress sells cheap shitty knockoff guitars.. including fully transparent acrylic guitars like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arrival-FULL-led-light-electric-guitar-flying-v-electric-guitar-acrylic-guitar/32597352384.html

I'm thinking, I'd be removing the pickups and using the GK pickup anyway, so how bad could it be?!

Guest Chesney

Loads of YT vids praising and slating them. I think they farm the orders out to random people so it's pot luck to what you get back. Consensus seems that you should not bother with electrics and tuners and may have to do some fret levelling and dressing. But for the price you could get some quality wood if you stick quite generic.

Archived