IGNORED

Does anyone on here know anything about guitars?

andihow

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loads of YT vids praising and slating them. I think they farm the orders out to random people so it's pot luck to what you get back. Consensus seems that you should not bother with electrics and tuners and may have to do some fret levelling and dressing. But for the price you could get some quality wood if you stick quite generic.

Yeah, I got the idea after watching a video about a dodgy knockoff telecaster.. I'm basically thinking it'd be a good way to get an acrylic body and neck that I can stick new tuners, pickups, frets etc on. Might give it a try when I have some extra money..

Would anyone be repulsed/horrified if I posted more LimpyLoo clips?

Post up, mang.  If I was ultra mod I'd change this thread to the official WATMM Guitar Corner, because this is where it belongs.  Sincere guitar roots-- this is the guitar thread that WATMM needed since 1937.

Would anyone be repulsed/horrified if I posted more LimpyLoo clips?

Post up, mang. If I was ultra mod I'd change this thread to the official WATMM Guitar Corner, because this is where it belongs. Sincere guitar roots-- this is the guitar thread that WATMM needed since 1937.

Prepare for a musical LimpyLoo bukakke

High level guitar tutorial vids are pretty funny.  I can understand them now, but when I first started guitar, I had no idea what was going on in any of them.  Like Yngwie would be like, "So den yu du dis", then he'd shred some god level wankery, and it's like, how the fuck is anyone supposed to learn from this shit.  Like in 9th grade when my friend bought capoeira VHS tapes but he started on the advanced tapes.  So then all of a sudden he's trying to do handstand kicks and gymnastic level shit, so he was hitting his head on the floor, etc.

Anyway, I think I just discovered this morning like at 2 AM that I can use guitar ("unwanted") noise to emphasize lovely tonal qualities.  For example- due to prolly grounding issues or whatever else- my double humbucker guitar gets noisey either when I lower the volume or tone, maybe until 3/4 down.  BUT, what I realized is that when the noise is coming in, what's happening is that the noise freq AND upper harmonics are being emphasized, so I can get some really really lush tonage by intentionally bringing in sooome noise.  It's such a subtle nuance of tone, but it's lovely.  Feels good, yo.

Like in 9th grade when my friend bought capoeira VHS tapes but he started on the advanced tapes.  So then all of a sudden he's trying to do handstand kicks and gymnastic level shit, so he was hitting his head on the floor, etc.

That's a pretty good analogy for how a lot of my favorite artists work TBH.

High level guitar tutorial vids are pretty funny. I can understand them now, but when I first started guitar, I had no idea what was going on in any of them. Like Yngwie would be like, "So den yu du dis", then he'd shred some god level wankery, and it's like, how the fuck is anyone supposed to learn from this shit. Like in 9th grade when my friend bought capoeira VHS tapes but he started on the advanced tapes. So then all of a sudden he's trying to do handstand kicks and gymnastic level shit, so he was hitting his head on the floor, etc.

Anyway, I think I just discovered this morning like at 2 AM that I can use guitar ("unwanted") noise to emphasize lovely tonal qualities. For example- due to prolly grounding issues or whatever else- my double humbucker guitar gets noisey either when I lower the volume or tone, maybe until 3/4 down. BUT, what I realized is that when the noise is coming in, what's happening is that the noise freq AND upper harmonics are being emphasized, so I can get some really really lush tonage by intentionally bringing in sooome noise. It's such a subtle nuance of tone, but it's lovely. Feels good, yo.

Here's how I think about this stuff...

To me there are two distinct elements:

-individual creative goals ("vision" perhaps)

-tools for executing individual creative goals ("technique")

I think people are often turned-off by lessons/tutorials because they don't like the creative goals of the person teaching...so for instance, "I don't like Yngwie's creative goals, therefor I have no use for the tools he's offering"

Whereas I think a healthier attitude might be "I am happy to acquire any and all tools, because then I'll be better equipped to execute my individual creative goals"

High level guitar tutorial vids are pretty funny.  I can understand them now, but when I first started guitar, I had no idea what was going on in any of them.  Like Yngwie would be like, "So den yu du dis", then he'd shred some god level wankery, and it's like, how the fuck is anyone supposed to learn from this shit.  Like in 9th grade when my friend bought capoeira VHS tapes but he started on the advanced tapes.  So then all of a sudden he's trying to do handstand kicks and gymnastic level shit, so he was hitting his head on the floor, etc.

My guitar teacher could copy Yngwie by ear and shred like a maniac, which was cool to see if also humbling. Often, he would start off by showing me a particular scale he wanted me to practice. But he would be distracted and suddenly sweep pick the fuck out of the board, dazzling me with all these notes...and then remember I was there. "Oh, um, so just play the first scale there." And then I just stare at the fretboard.

haven't been in touch in years but apparently Ozzy almost hired him to replace Zakk Wylde! Knowing how much of a Randy Rhoads fan he was, this must have been the highlight of his life. Note: haven't had a lesson from him in over fourteen years, maybe more. Should get back in touch.

High level guitar tutorial vids are pretty funny. I can understand them now, but when I first started guitar, I had no idea what was going on in any of them. Like Yngwie would be like, "So den yu du dis", then he'd shred some god level wankery, and it's like, how the fuck is anyone supposed to learn from this shit. Like in 9th grade when my friend bought capoeira VHS tapes but he started on the advanced tapes. So then all of a sudden he's trying to do handstand kicks and gymnastic level shit, so he was hitting his head on the floor, etc.

Anyway, I think I just discovered this morning like at 2 AM that I can use guitar ("unwanted") noise to emphasize lovely tonal qualities. For example- due to prolly grounding issues or whatever else- my double humbucker guitar gets noisey either when I lower the volume or tone, maybe until 3/4 down. BUT, what I realized is that when the noise is coming in, what's happening is that the noise freq AND upper harmonics are being emphasized, so I can get some really really lush tonage by intentionally bringing in sooome noise. It's such a subtle nuance of tone, but it's lovely. Feels good, yo.

I think people are often turned-off by lessons/tutorials because they don't like the creative goals of the person teaching...so for instance, "I don't like Yngwie's creative goals, therefor I have no use for the tools he's offering"

Whereas I think a healthier attitude might be "I am happy to acquire any and all tools, because then I'll be better equipped to execute my individual creative goals"

Or, if you know certain kinds of guitarists, it's usually refusing to acknowledge anyone that is better than themselves, while also degrading everyone who is shitter than themselves. The egotistic guitarists are impossible to teach because 'they already know' yet, bizarrely, can't actually play what they're being taught and refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses.

Or, if you know certain kinds of guitarists, it's usually refusing to acknowledge anyone that is better than themselves, while also degrading everyone who is shitter than themselves. The egotistic guitarists are impossible to teach because 'they already know' yet, bizarrely, can't actually play what they're being taught and refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses.

Yeah I think that's true

I stopped progressing in my early-to-mid 20's because I was convinced I knew everything (and anything outside of my knowledge was stupid and bad)

Now I (strive to) assume that everyone else knows more than me

And just keep my ears peeled, keen to learn whatever there is to learn

Like, I don't play fusion-y metal but I study some fusion-y metal guys

Because I wanna be able to play like Coltrane

and the metal guys have solved a lot of those technical obstacles

(This is kinda why I'm not generally a fan of jazz guitarists: most often they sound like they've only studied other jazz guitarists)

On Friday I on-the-spot decided to buy an affordable telecaster (Bacchus Universe Series, kinda like Squier (Bacchus' other guitars are high-end handmade in Japan)) and VOX practice amp, so I can keep them at my girlfriend's place.  But holy fuck motherfucker-- I can't believe how good this ~130USD/100GBP guitar is.  Besides minor stuff like sharp frets, it's fockin' tight.  I can't believe.  Straight up tele tone, yo.  Da fuck.

This isn't my pic, but it's this same guitar (TV yellow yum~~~):

70871.jpg

Amp I got is a VOX Pathfinder 10- basically shit for distortion; good for clean.

As a set, under $200, great value.  I could use this as my stage guitar, and it'd still be good.

Somehow in the guitar world, affordability has matched proper usability.

Archived