IGNORED

Filipino Drug Addicts Being Killed in State Drug Crackdown

Joyrex

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ the adderal vs meth comparison - addy's are a mixture of different amphetamine salts, essentially its trucker speed sold by a pharmaceutical company. Meth is just methylated alpha-phenethylamine aka methyl-amphetamine. By adding the methyl you decrease amounts needed and increase the amount of reuptake and activity at the receptor site. Like adderall on steroids really.

I remember back in high school when I was a rave-rat, we'd always be eating and selling loads of E. some of it was good and obviously MDxx based, some of it was just a straight bump of meth and caffeine. There were these yellow crown pills that were tickets to being really fucked up, making horrible decisions and feeling really dumb the next day. We tested them and yup, pretty much just meth. Stay away from meth.

A couple days I thumbed through the Anarchist Cookbook and I was surprised how many drugs you can make in your kitchen with some rather common and legal ingredients

As a trained organic chemist I can tell you that well over 50% of that book is total horseshit. Most drugs worth making take someone who knows what they are doing, at least 2 or 3 dangerous or controlled precursors or reagents and lots of ventilation. Although, even LSD which requires a decent set of skills isn't the hardest thing ever to syntesize assuming one is competent and can get the 30k needed for glassware, vacuum apparatuses, reagents and incredibly watched precursors.

Chemistry is fun, but it's not somewhere you can cut corners like that horrible book. Meth is very easy to make in decent purity so it's no surprise it pops up everywhere and even speed freaks can cook up a batch when showed how to do so. Seriously tho the cookbook is almost as bad as Uncle Fester's excuses for synthesis techniques. At least the anarchist cookbook won't literally kill you if you attempt its ill-conceived drug cooks.

POST EDIT: Sorry, forgot my phenethylamine nomenclature. N,alpha-dimethylphenethylamine is methamphetamine and amphetamine would be alpha-methyl-phenethylamine. 1added carbon and 2 added hydrogen molecules is really all the difference there. 

@ the adderal vs meth comparison - addy's are a mixture of different amphetamine salts, essentially its trucker speed sold by a pharmaceutical company. Meth is just methylated alpha-phenethylamine aka methyl-amphetamine. By adding the methyl you decrease amounts needed and increase the amount of reuptake and activity at the receptor site. Like adderall on steroids really.

I remember back in high school when I was a rave-rat, we'd always be eating and selling loads of E. some of it was good and obviously MDxx based, some of it was just a straight bump of meth and caffeine. There were these yellow crown pills that were tickets to being really fucked up, making horrible decisions and feeling really dumb the next day. We tested them and yup, pretty much just meth. Stay away from meth.

A couple days I thumbed through the Anarchist Cookbook and I was surprised how many drugs you can make in your kitchen with some rather common and legal ingredients

As a trained organic chemist I can tell you that well over 50% of that book is total horseshit. Most drugs worth making take someone who knows what they are doing, at least 2 or 3 dangerous or controlled precursors or reagents and lots of ventilation. Although, even LSD which requires a decent set of skills isn't the hardest thing ever to syntesize assuming one is competent and can get the 30k needed for glassware, vacuum apparatuses, reagents and incredibly watched precursors.

Chemistry is fun, but it's not somewhere you can cut corners like that horrible book. Meth is very easy to make in decent purity so it's no surprise it pops up everywhere and even speed freaks can cook up a batch when showed how to do so. Seriously tho the cookbook is almost as bad as Uncle Fester's excuses for synthesis techniques. At least the anarchist cookbook won't literally kill you if you attempt its ill-conceived drug cooks.

POST EDIT: Sorry, forgot my phenethylamine nomenclature. N,alpha-dimethylphenethylamine is methamphetamine and amphetamine would be alpha-methyl-phenethylamine. 1added carbon and 2 added hydrogen molecules is really all the difference there. 

Definitely not going to dispute your knowledge on the subject, but Dr. Carl Hart believes differently, and from my own personal experience the feelings of using meth and adderall were extremely similar and that major difference between the two would be that I would consume much larger amounts of methamphetamine when using it than I would taking a 10 or 15mg pill of adderall. 

Excerpt from his article:

In the interest of full disclosure, I too once believed that methamphetamine was far more dangerous than d-amphetamine, despite the fact that the chemical structure of the two drugs is nearly identical (see figure). In the late 1990s, when I was a PhD student, I was told—and I fully believed—that the addition of the methyl group to methamphetamine made it more lipid-soluble (translation: able to enter the brain more rapidly) and therefore more addictive than d-amphetamine.

It wasn’t until several years after graduate school that this belief was shattered by evidence not only from my own research, but also by results from research conducted by other scientists.

In our study, we brought 13 men who regularly used methamphetamine into the lab. We  gave each of them a hit of methamphetamine, of d-amphetamine, or of placebo on separate days under double-blind conditions. We repeated this many times with each person over several days and multiple doses of each drug.

Like d-amphetamine, methamphetamine increased our subjects’ energy and enhanced their ability to focus and concentrate; it also reduced subjective feelings of tiredness and the cognitive disruptions typically brought about by fatigue and/or sleep deprivation. Both drugs increased blood pressure and the rate at which the heart beat. No doubt these are the effects that justify the continued use of d-amphetamine by several nations’ militaries, including our own.

And when offered an opportunity to choose either the drugs or varying amounts of money, our subjects chose to take d-amphetamine on a similar number of occasions as they chose to take methamphetamine. These regular methamphetamine users could not distinguish between the two. (It is possible that the methyl group enhances methamphetamine’s lipid-solubility, but this effect appears to be imperceptible to human consumers.)

It is also true that the effects of smoking methamphetamine are more intense than those of swallowing a pill containing d-amphetamine. But that increased intensity is due to the route of administration, not the drug itself. Smoking d-amphetamine produces nearly identical intense effects as smoking methamphetamine. The same would be true if the drugs were snorted intranasally.

As far as the addictive potential:

As I left DC and travelled home to New York, I reflected on how I had previously participated in misleading the public by hyping the dangers of methamphetamine. For example, in one of my earlier studies, aimed at documenting the powerfully addictive nature of the drug, I found that when given a choice between taking a small hit of meth (10 mg) or one dollar in cash, methamphetamine users chose the drug about half the time.

For me, in 2001, this suggested that the drug was addictive. But what it really showed was my own ignorance and bias. Because, as I found out in a later study, if I had increased the cash amount to as little as five dollars, the users would have taken the money almost all of the time—even though they knew they would have to wait several weeks until the end of the study before getting the cash.

you should be able to do whatever you want with your own body (Well except strap bombs to it and walk into a shopping centre), but if that leaves you starving in the gutter, you take responsibility for your actions and i'm not paying for your body modification fetish. Heh.

My new signature

Sorry, but I just want to say, 

No one has had their lives destroyed by drugs. People choose to destroy their lives and their bodies by irresponsibly using drugs. It really irks me when people put the blame on drugs. No the blame is not on the drugs. It is on you for consuming them so often that your body becomes dependent on them.

And no it is not that additive. Just like every other drug is not that addictive. The numbers show this. The study I linked above shows this. The statistics on drug addiction show this.

And by the way Dr. Carl Hart isn't just some random scientist. He serves on many national and international committees and boards.

@ Mesh - I've seen some people go off the rails with meth use. The area I live in is surrounded by meth-producing and using counties. It does feel good, so I can say that I guess there's a reason people do it. It's like MDMA in some ways IMO, but with a fuckload more dopamine release, not really so much OMG LOVE and produces a ton of euphoria and energy. Not too hard to see how that would appeal to some people, it's like with alcohol, nobody plans on the hangover, it just happens and felt like a good idea when you were drinking... but with meth lol.

A lot of drug addicts are compensating for feelings they can't deal with, whether it be self esteem issues or PTSD or rape n' such. Dunno about the specifics with uppers, but drug addiction is a very real demon. Still not convinced on the whole 'I have a disease' think with drug addiction, but that's semantics. 

@Adieu - I read that study earlier today from your link. Interesting read and I learned something fresh. I never dabbled with uppers too much aside from my time as a teen rave kid, but it seemed to my brain that meth over amphetamine (used orally) was better for just pure rush, being an addict would probably be a different story. I tried taking a 10mg IR addy a few months back and didn't really accomplish much and felt terrible that night/the next day. I'm getting old. 

No one has had their lives destroyed by drugs. People choose to destroy their lives and their bodies by irresponsibly using drugs. It really irks me when people put the blame on drugs. No the blame is not on the drugs. It is on you for consuming them so often that your body becomes dependent on them.

And no it is not that additive. Just like every other drug is not that addictive. The numbers show this. The study I linked above shows this. The statistics on drug addiction show this.

And by the way Dr. Carl Hart isn't just some random scientist. He serves on many national and international committees and boards.

Not really...when two smokers have a kid, that kid is ~3x more likely to smoke...you can look at a newborn and based on his circumstance you already know he's much more prone to smoking...before he ever touches a cigarette, before he ever "chooses" anything

I'm not saying people don't make choices, but your thesis overlooks how some people are vastly more prone to addictions through no fault of their own

Also, have you ever detoxed off benzos?

Not really...when two smokers have a kid, that kid is ~3x more likely to smoke...you can look at a newborn and based on his circumstance you already know he's much more prone to smoking...before he ever touches a cigarette, before he ever "chooses" anything

I'm not saying people don't make choices, but your thesis overlooks how some people are vastly more prone to addictions through no fault of their own

My thesis isn't wrong because the numbers of people using drugs vs getting addicted to drugs are the facts.

Whether some people are more at risk for getting addiction, while being a reality, does not put the blame on the drugs, and by putting the blame on the drugs we remove ourselves as a society away from the personal responsibility for deciding to use drugs irresponsibly. I'm not saying we shouldn't help people that become addicts, because obviously we should have empathy and compassion for those people. What I don't like is people putting the responsibility on an inanimate object, and claiming that we need to rid society of these substances in order to properly function. The reality of the situation is that we need to learn how to use drugs responsibly and we need to have a society that understands the reality of drug use and addiction.

My thesis isn't wrong because the numbers of people using drugs vs getting addicted to drugs are the facts.

Whether some people are more at risk for getting addiction, while being a reality, does not put the blame on the drugs, and by putting the blame on the drugs we remove ourselves as a society away from the personal responsibility for deciding to use drugs irresponsibly. I'm not saying we shouldn't help people that become addicts, because obviously we should have empathy and compassion for those people. What I don't like is people putting the responsibility on an inanimate object, and claiming that we need to rid society of these substances in order to properly function. The reality of the situation is that we need to learn how to use drugs responsibly and we need to have a society that understands the reality of drug use and addiction.

I don't think the drugs are to blame either

I'm just saying it's not simply people making choices

lol.

Meth is desirable stimulant for ultra poor manual laborers (and, once upon a time, soldiers)

Thanks, Germany.

I've had US military speed before. That shit is amazing. So pure.

No one has had their lives destroyed by drugs guns. People choose to destroy their lives and their bodies by irresponsibly using drugs guns. It really irks me when people put the blame on drugs guns. No the blame is not on the drugs guns.

No one has had their lives destroyed by drugs fatty foods. People choose to destroy their lives and their bodies by irresponsibly using drugs fatty foods. It really irks me when people put the blame on drugs fatty foods. No the blame is not on the drugs fatty foods.

I agree $100%. Good point.

No one has had their lives destroyed by drugs expensive camgirls. People choose to destroy their lives and their bodies by irresponsibly using drugs expensive camgirls. It really irks me when people put the blame on drugs expensive camgirls. No the blame is not on the drugs expensive camgirls.

Meth is desirable stimulant for ultra poor manual laborers (and, once upon a time, soldiers)

Thanks, Germany.

I've had US military speed before. That shit is amazing. So pure.

So pure. So cold.

They still that stuff for long-range bombing missions right? I can't imagine doing 20+ hour missions halfway across the world after just one cup of coffee and a couple donuts before the flight.

BTW this has been very informative - I knew meth and speed were similar but I had no idea about the specifics of any of this stuff (like how closely related adderall is) until reading this. 

Interesting bit about Lemmy (RIP) and speed:

During his time with Hawkwind he developed an appetite for amphetamines and LSD, particularly the former. Before joining Hawkwind, he recalled Dik Mik, a former Hawkwind sound technician, visiting his squat in the middle of the night and taking speed with him. They became interested in how long "you could make the human body jump about without stopping", which they did for a few months, until Mik ran out of money and wanted to return to Hawkwind, taking Lemmy with him.[8]

I first got into speed because it was a utilitarian drug and kept you awake when you needed to be awake, when otherwise you'd just be flat out on your back. If you drive to Glasgow for nine hours in the back of a sweaty truck you don't really feel like going onstage feeling all bright and breezy ... It's the only drug I've found that I can get on with, and I've tried them all – except smack [heroin] and morphine: I've never "fixed" anything.

No one has had their lives destroyed by drugs IDM. People choose to destroy their lives and their bodies by irresponsibly using drugs IDM. It really irks me when people put the blame on drugs IDM. No the blame is not on the drugs IDM

Archived