IGNORED

Tycho - Epoch

Joyrex

Sounds more like his stuff from Dive, and I'm really digging this!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I have to admit to being really quite meh about Awake. It wasn't offensive, but it just sounded like more of the same, and I was worried that Tycho were going to disappear down a cul-de-sac of their own making, but I'm really digging this. The section from 3:16 onwards is particularly awesome. 

I still haven't shared my Tycho gig story which included being dryhumped by a drunk/high bro and witnessing really cringey argument between two fans over whether ableton sucks. I should probably do that at some point.

(BTW I am an of his music in general not another run of the mill scoffer)

Sounds more like his stuff from Dive, and I'm really digging this!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I have to admit to being really quite meh about Awake. It wasn't offensive, but it just sounded like more of the same, and I was worried that Tycho were going to disappear down a cul-de-sac of their own making, but I'm really digging this. The section from 3:16 onwards is particularly awesome. 

Yeah same here. I liked Awake but the "live band" feel made it a bit to sterile for me, like a krautrock band but without the experimental or improvised uniqueness. Dive is my favorite release.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Dive a few years ago and sort of liked it - Sunday morning with your coffee kind of music. Dad IDM.

I haven't bought anything since because once you've bought one album, you've essentially bought them all.

"Local" and "Division" were tracks that jumped out but other than that I echo what everyone else has said. He's honed in too much on his formula / methods he used for Awake and Dive is still unmatched. 

Funny enough I listened to an indie rock band called Local Natives right after I listened to Epoch and aesthetically their newest album was very similar, except they had more dynamic tracks and a singer. Really made this sound even more restrained and tame in context.

Sunday morning with your coffee kind of music. Dad IDM.

I may be drawing a blank, but this is the first time I think I've seen the term "Dad IDM".

Brilliant...just brilliant.

Overall, I like the album, but I have to agree - his sound is getting pretty formulaic, and there's less and less innovation, while at the same time he is certainly refining his techniques. I'd say "Glider" and "Rings" are probably the standout tracks for me on Epoch.

Also agree that Dive is still his best work - not sure if he's ever going to return to that sound, and he's even said in interviews that he's moving away from electronic music.

Funny how early on he was criticized for aping Boards of Canada's sound, now he's being criticized for creating his own distinctive sound.

Sad to say that this is pretty underwhelming. It's nice and all, and if I heard it out at a coffee shop or something I'd say "hey, Tycho!" but it's not scratching my IDM itch. Sounds way too similar to Awake. It starts off well but just runs together after the second track. 35 min later I'm noticing it's over and can't recall any highlights. I bet it'd be much better live. 

I have to now go listen to Autchre - Elseq to balance things out. That's mostly a compliment towards Autechre, but still. This Tycho album is definitely 'dad IDM' (thanks fumi)

Had to stop myself from getting to an argument with someone on Facebook about this album.

His post said "I trust Hansen and his artistic vision! As a fan that's our only job, to listen and enjoy"  Pretty much trying to say we shouldn't question the artist's artistic vision.

I completely of course whole-heartedly disagree.  We are the ones spending minutes, hours, money, OUR LIVES on these artists.  The least we are allowed to do is be critical of it.  That is just what happens when you send your art out into the world, subject it to immediate criticism.  

He also was saying he has heard a whole bunch of "new ideas" but was unable to name one in the new album.

I'm not saying I dislike this album, it's just not anything ground-breaking or fresh.  Does everything have to be mind-bending and ground-breaking in music? NO.  With the over-saturation of electronic music these days that is all we expect.  If our ears aren't blown away immediately it's trashed.  

So given that, I have listened 2+ times over.  I have to say the more I listen the more I like it.  Will it be one of my favorite albums? No.  Will i return to it sometimes for a spin? Probably.

To me it's quite obvious he is focusing A LOT more on his live show presence, to the point where it is affecting his musical output.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I mean these tracks will sound really really good live.

sounds like music Youtube would force you to replace the audio on your video with

fuuuuck that's harsh, its not that bad lol

Overall, I like the album, but I have to agree - his sound is getting pretty formulaic, and there's less and less innovation, while at the same time he is certainly refining his techniques. I'd say "Glider" and "Rings" are probably the standout tracks for me on Epoch.

Also agree that Dive is still his best work - not sure if he's ever going to return to that sound, and he's even said in interviews that he's moving away from electronic music.

Funny how early on he was criticized for aping Boards of Canada's sound, now he's being criticized for creating his own distinctive sound.

It is quite ironic. I think it's also why Dive is becoming the defacto highlight of his discography. 

It is ironic that's he's considered to be milking his own sound when my intro to him were the forum gripes of him as the #1 BoC ripoff maestro.

Epoch sounds like extra tracks from the same session as Awake. I would love to see him go off into more unabashed territory in any direction. Mark McGuire is a good example to compare Tycho to, he's embraced full blown pop elements and singing in his solo stuff has progressed from post-rock-y electronic to what he makes now. His stuff with Emeralds on the other hand is serious synth drone ambient and he could easily be making the same stuff but he's not.

everyone around me seems to be going NUTS for tycho but I IMHO he's pretty over rated. I dig his aesthetics but it's pretty bland to me. Maybe I'll try this one

• 4 weeks later...

Archived