IGNORED

Tycho - Epoch

Joyrex

To me it's quite obvious he is focusing A LOT more on his live show presence, to the point where it is affecting his musical output.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I mean these tracks will sound really really good live.

That's an interesting point - some friends of mine who play live regularly pointed that out a lot faster than I picked up on it when his last album came out. It was subtle but to them they were like "he's using a live band now - very different approach"

"Thank you for calling Tycho. We are currently experiencing high demand from trust-fund kids with overactive instagram accounts, Wired readers, bearded graphic designers and font snobs. Your call is in a queue and will be dealt with by the next available representative."

Cue the music.

a lot of it sounds like really interesting hold music, like when you're waiting for other people to dial into the call.

NPR uses the shit out of Tycho's music for their musical bumpers...

i am not saying it is bad, it all just seems very just, well, there. it doesn't come off as emotive or authentic to me. just very polished style over subtance. i think he has done well for himself, i will certainly applaud that.

I still haven't shared my Tycho gig story which included being dryhumped by a drunk/high bro and witnessing really cringey argument between two fans over whether ableton sucks. I should probably do that at some point.

(BTW I am an of his music in general not another run of the mill scoffer)

The only reason I keep checking this thread is to see if you've posted your Tycho concert story yet. It's time Josh.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't shared my Tycho gig story which included being dryhumped by a drunk/high bro and witnessing really cringey argument between two fans over whether ableton sucks. I should probably do that at some point.

The only reason I keep checking this thread is to see if you've posted your Tycho concert story yet. It's time Josh.

Hah, I'll try to type it up tonight.

In the meantime check out the new Ulrich Schnauss album, it's the kind of album I wish Tycho had put out.

• 2 months later...

where's that funny post about tycho and DSLRs and wearing cans

Oh the sheatheman post from a while back? Yeah, that was amazing. I always think of it when I see a pic of the Tycho now :p

Hah, I'll try to type it up tonight.

In the meantime check out the new Ulrich Schnauss album, it's the kind of album I wish Tycho had put out.

I should've asked you when I met you at DFN! josh pls

• 11 months later...

i didn't rate tycho until i saw them live a second time with beacon as the opener in chicago. smoked a joint on the way to the show, somehow parallel parked and ate a medical str weed gummy after securing a spot in the second row. maybe it was the drugs talking (ok, it was the drugs talking) but i got asmr tingles in my hands like shock waves traveling up my arms throughout the show. tycho has slowly been releasing the live visuals from their 2017 tour; they opened with glider i think and i was pretty much flying from that point on

about halfway into tycho's set, beacon came back out and performed this remix with tycho, which was fuckin magic

i haven't been able to recapture the nostalgic feelings i experienced in chicago in conjunction with the live visuals. their studio material seems sterile in comparison. so i guess i fall into the jaded "dive is their best" curmudgeon camp. but i highly recommend seeing them live if you have the chance. i'm gonna see them @ red rocks in may.

Archived