IGNORED

Monolake - VLSI

ventolin68

i think silence is under-appreciated

It's the only Monolake album that never really clicked with me and thought Ghosts achieved the same sort of style but much better

However it's been a long time since I've heard it so prob should give it another listen now and see if distance leads enhancement to the view

i think silence is under-appreciated

However it's been a long time since I've heard it so prob should give it another listen now and see if distance leads enhancement to the view

very soft and bubbly me thinks. a smidg of hongcong hideout in it, maybe? lots of pleasant tinkling and effervescent, percussion sounds.

my favourite, hammer-dulcimer & handclaps :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really dislike Robert Henke - just looking at the cover art it's like a bad spinoff of TDR's exai / l-event artwork. Haven't listened to the track but to me most of his music sounds like a really shallow version of ae. /imhotbqh

is it actually possible to have an entire thread on this forum without somebody describing the music within it as derivative of one of the featured artists. somebody actually said that lone was ripping off BOC. major 7th chords existed long before boards of canada. 

Love this so decided to get digital vinyls of all the VLSI eps today and stuck them all together to make an alternative album..

Totaly worth it lots of tracks not on the album and the others are different enough to make it worthwhile. Also as someone said earlier their mastered louder and its all round a bit more banging.. going to enjoy banging the ep versions out in my whip :)

• 1 month later...

well... still hurts listening to this knowing all the monolake albums before polygon_cities but it's a fine ride. The liner notes about the sounds being sourced from old electronic sound scientists was kind of cool but I don't know how much I believe it.

in case anyone has noticed i'm listening to all the shit from 2016 and bumping threads like an absolute madman

Henke's run out of ideas, sadly. Nice sound design I guess but the music is just so boring. The sample compilation before the album came out would have made a cracking track in itself, but he seemingly has one idea that lasts no more than a minute and tries to drag it out.

Such a shame, really. Since Silence it's all been downhill. Oh well!

Really? I love this. Its nothing new from him for sure, but I think its him doing what he does best!

Have this up these as one of my fav Monolake albums, although think I actually dig the EP versions more

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump to remind people that this album exists. So incredible on good headphones.

Weird, I was randomly relistening to this album this week. Some great tracks, I especially like Unit.

yeah. it's good. better than ghosts and silence. polygon cities was a digi-pointment. but damn those first 5 albums. whoo lord. some good stuff. I kind of wish gravity and cinemascope were 1 album instead of 2 but I can't really complain. those two bass notes in ionized make it all worth it. interstate still the best tho

• 3 weeks later...

yeah. it's good. better than ghosts and silence. polygon cities was a digi-pointment. but damn those first 5 albums. whoo lord. some good stuff. I kind of wish gravity and cinemascope were 1 album instead of 2 but I can't really complain. those two bass notes in ionized make it all worth it. interstate still the best tho

Yeah, I had this experience where I bought Polygon Cities around the time it came out, and that was basically my one Monolake album (I liked it but didn't love it) and then later Ghosts was the second (better than polygon to me). Finally checked out out Cinemascope a few years ago and was blown away by it. Genuinely surprised at how much better I liked it than the other two. 

VLSI is on my upcoming listen list.

I am with Handels and Obel on this. The sound design is topnotch, unfortunately you can't base an album on that alone. I like that there are different versions on the EP's compared to the album (and I bought them all, as DLs) and I LOVE the sleeve designs... but over all I still am missing something. In the end there is nothing that "sticks", for me.

Archived