IGNORED

Elektron AnalogHeat

Guest Chesney

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

Had 1/2 hour running just some Machinedrum patterns through it and ok, yeah… It's bloody lovely. It's very simple to use and get good stuff from. Just boosting a bit and making stuff sound round with the EQ and minimal filtering I can imagine myself putting lots through this before the audio interface but the interesting part sound sound design is the envelope and lfo modulations. Had a full rhythm and bass going then heavily filtered using envelope follower and synced lfo I got some really huge squidgy gated new beats. Really fun and every result will new depending what you put in.

• 1 year later...

They've just released a MKII of this. Apparently just changed the screen and the buttons...sort of like they did with the OT MKII I guess? A little strange.

My understanding is that a big part of why they made the MKII of the Octatrack was to bring all their products to a single set of button and encoder types because it's more cost effective and efficient on the manufacturing end if everything uses as many of the same parts as possible. Makes sense, really.

Maybe this will push down the used price of the MKI Heat low enough that I can afford one in December, next time I get paid for freelance work and have some extra cash kicking around.

Maybe this will push down the used price of the MKI Heat

I hope so... I'm not really that into what I've heard of the OTO BOUM and decided I want a Heat instead. Someday. In the meantime, my chain of cheap mixers with extreme EQ and gain is doing things for me.

I hope so... I'm not really that into what I've heard of the OTO BOUM and decided I want a Heat instead. Someday. In the meantime, my chain of cheap mixers with extreme EQ and gain is doing things for me.

BOUM crush the heat anytime, trust me.

The compression options seem great, I'm at least as interested in those as the distortion but I haven't found any demos of anyone actually using them in a way that you can tell what the hell is going on with them, it's all these 808 kits with loud cowbells going through tons of distortion. And the Heat has more in the way of modulation and envelope controls. 

My understanding is that a big part of why they made the MKII of the Octatrack was to bring all their products to a single set of button and encoder types because it's more cost effective and efficient on the manufacturing end if everything uses as many of the same parts as possible. Makes sense, really.

Maybe this will push down the used price of the MKI Heat low enough that I can afford one in December, next time I get paid for freelance work and have some extra cash kicking around.

If it's anything like the analog four then it will. i have seen multiple MK1s go for less than $700 in my area. I've considered picking up one or two more make a pair or trio of them. Fucking love the machine. So versatile and powerful.

Guest Chesney

Gave you tried them both DM?

I admit, I have not seen anything amazing from either machine online but in reality with your own music though it, the Heat (for me) is indespensible.

Good point, I LOVE the BAM, but what interests me about the Heat is all of the dynamic modulation capabilities.   I haven't really looked at the BOUM because if I actually end up having the money for another OTO box down the road I'd definitely get the BIM.

The BAM firmware update that came out not too long ago adds a "no reverb" mode where you can pass the dry signal through and just use it as a character box (you get the analog signal path (including the overdrive on the inputs) and the converters, no reverb or modulation and I actually forget whether you can use the HP and LP filtering but I'm guessing not, don't feel like checking the web site right now), plus the predelay becomes a really basic single-tap delay with no feedback or anything.  Obviously that hardly scratches the surface of what the BOUM or Heat could do but it's pretty great to have around anyway.

I noticed when I was testing my livestreaming-from-an-old-video-camera setup last week that the video is a few frames behind the audio because of the latency of the cheap capture device I'm using, so when I actually go live with it I'll need to delay the audio a few milliseconds to get it back in sync - I just realized I should use the BAM to do that - measure the latency of the video capture, set up a loopback test of some kind to get a really precise delay time set on the BAM, save it as a preset and then run the whole mix through it to add a bit more personality than just the Octatrack outputs plugged straight into a middle of the road USB interface.

The BAM firmware update that came out not too long ago adds a "no reverb" mode where you can pass the dry signal through and just use it as a character box (you get the analog signal path (including the overdrive on the inputs) and the converters, no reverb or modulation and I actually forget whether you can use the HP and LP filtering but I'm guessing not, don't feel like checking the web site right now), plus the predelay becomes a really basic single-tap delay with no feedback or anything.  Obviously that hardly scratches the surface of what the BOUM or Heat could do but it's pretty great to have around anyway.

Yeah, I like this extra mode. On paper it's nothing special but it definitely adds character. You can definitely use the HP and LP filtering, everything except damping (which wouldn't make sense) and chorus. With that diode protection circuit, the input gain can add some crunch. Turning up the size can add some extra lo-fi and you can even use it as a very primitive manual flanger/vibrato.

I haven't actually had an opportunity to try it yet because a bunch of real likfe crap intervened right after I updated the firmware last month.

I definitely ant to put it on a pair of aux sends on a mixer soon so I can feed it back into itself and use it more like a full blown stereo delay.

Anyway, this definitely made me realize that if I have the money to buy a used Analog Heat I should just save up and buy a BIM instead, even though it's a completely different kind of tool I'd use it more.

Anyway, this definitely made me realize that if I have the money to buy a used Analog Heat I should just save up and buy a BIM instead, even though it's a completely different kind of tool I'd use it more.

The BIM was really tempting me but I have delay coming out of my ears at this point. Plus the Thyme looks just as good to me, honestly, maybe even a little more fun, though I'm sure it doesn't sound as smooth.

Guest Chesney

Seriously, people need to just ignore overbridge. they bit off way more than they can chew with that thing.

I have never tried it and will never want to, I prefer to just record the machine as I would a normal instrument. I get the convenience of overbridge (if they pulled it off) but for me, it's way too many options to be thinking about.

OB did me well during RPM for freeing up my mixer and wire chaos. A couple demo A4 patches were complex enough that I was able to use OB to debug the problem.

I will say I wish my DTN had OB as I'm on vacation atm and didn't want to bring a soundcard + midi + crap and just having a laptop + DTN via OB would have reduced a lot of complexity.

Whoa that OTO looks like a sick fx unit. Kind of want to trade my eventide H9 max for one of those (The BIM or BAM). I like the sound and the simplicity of it. But, the H9 just has so much going on...

Archived