IGNORED

The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time

triachus

I don't get the caretaker....someone explain

Bought an album...the one with the orb and match on the cover....then read Mark Fisher's great book...ghosts of my life....vvm shit is nice and weird....just not sure if im missing something...or if thats the point

He's not, for me, an every day listen.  His music is there for those times I am feeling introspective and sometimes when i'm a little sad.

Would you say you were...Intrigued & Stuff? :emotawesomepm9:

Listened to it and the weirdness is starting to show. Can't wait to see how fucked it gets by the end. And I look forward to listening to all of them in a row, once the project is done.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting round to listening to part 3.

Is it me or does the first track end far too abruptly? Like the bandcamp file is clipped.

*Edit* maybe intentional, some weird phasing and clipping going on in later tracks.

Anyway, I like where this is going. Tracks are a bit more smudged out, reverb and crackle as well as some vaguely familiar piano from previous editions.

There was a fascinating show on 6music on Sunday morning around music and memory. Surprised caretaker didn't get a mention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0998b87

Edited by fletcher

I don't get the caretaker....someone explain

Bought an album...the one with the orb and match on the cover....then read Mark Fisher's great book...ghosts of my life....vvm shit is nice and weird....just not sure if im missing something...or if thats the point

I'm late to this question, but this is my jam.

V/VM is in your face. It's all on table, and very immediate and jarring, a subverting and sometimes loving bastard child of the source material.

Leyland Kirby is mood music. It's an atmosphere to live in, to read in, to talk in, or be introspective.

Similar but different, The Caretaker lives in a place between the concious mind and the subconcious mind. It's not meant to be gripping, it's meant to let you take your mind off of it and let it soak in. When the caretaker shines most is at times when the barrier between the concious mind and the subconcious is thin. The most interesting experience I had with An Empty Bliss Beyond This World was when I tried to nap on a bench on campus, and I was slipping in and out of conciousness, and that album was on in my earbuds... the tracks repeat themselves, the atmosphere is deep, the sounds cut off suddenly mid sentence. It can become otherworldly.

Another example is, I had a while where I didnt have much going on, and I would jusy play skyrim with Patience, Extra Patience, and An Empty Bliss on repeat in the background. It's music you can lose yourself in. It becomes its own world, its own peace of mind.

I think you have to be relaxed and open to it for it to sink in though. I havent been able to get much out of his recent stuff, because I have been mostly listening to music at work. My life has been to hectic to put myself in that place. I have early onset dementia in my family and this music has given me a weird peace of mind about it before.

Edited by ganus

I think you have to be relaxed and open to it for it to sink in though. I havent been able to get much out of his recent stuff, because I have been mostly listening to music at work. My life has been to hectic to put myself in that place. I have early onset dementia in my family and this music has given me a weird peace of mind about it before.

Yeah I'm sorry to read that Ganus. Dementia is not a subject taken lightly this side. My Uncle Ernie who was interviewed on the old vvmPIG record passed away earlier this year after battling it for some time. It's something which effects us all and will continue to do so as average life expectancy increases. 

The new series for me gets more interesting but also a lot more challenging to listen too and create when we hit the next two stages before the final stage.

Yeah I'm sorry to read that Ganus. Dementia is not a subject taken lightly this side. My Uncle Ernie who was interviewed on the old vvmPIG record passed away earlier this year after battling it for some time. It's something which effects us all and will continue to do so as average life expectancy increases.

The new series for me gets more interesting but also a lot more challenging to listen too and create when we hit the next two stages before the final stage.

sorry to her that man, best wishes.. and thanks again for your art

• 1 month later...

Reminder for UK/London folks - The Caretaker is doing his live thing at The Barbican this Friday. Tickets still available from here - https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2017/event/unsound-dislocation

Totally forgot about it and just picked one up after my phone pinged me a reminder, anyone else here going ?

• 5 months later...

it was missed on this thread, but the 4th installment has been out for a month now, and oh boy what a release!

link to the release thread:

https://boomkat.com/products/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time-stage-4

Fourth in a series of six albums from The Caretaker cataloguing the effects of early-onset dementia. Featuring four extended, smudged and hallucinatory side-long pieces - the darkest and most immersive music from The Caretaker to date.

The Caretaker slips into the first “post awareness” stage of Everywhere At The End of Time. The ability to recall singular memories gives way to confusions and horror; the beginning of a process where all memories begin to become more fluid through entanglements, repetition and rupture.

Leyland Kirby connotes the transitory cognitive breakdown of moderate into severe late stage dementia; memories of the good times are recollected in picnoleptic flashes as the music struggles to follow consistent lines of thought, instead fluctuating between a fractured mosaic of ideas and elusive emotive gestures, still occasionally able to gather coherent thoughts.

In aesthetic, the sieve-like mindstate of stage 4 vacillates a serene sort of psychedelia with utterly paranoid and petrifying mental subsidence. Smudged traces of sublimated musicl hall memories give way to shocking tracts of atonality and discord with runaway logic, perpetually tumbling farther into states of mind perhaps best compared with K-Hole-like dimensions or the babble of after-hours psychonautic journeys.

The concision of previous stages is here replaced with wandering, side-long tracts. Three of those are titled Post Awareness Confusions and correspondingly explore and reflect agitated mindsets as they navigate an ephemeral, confusing complexity of structures. The other piece is called Temporary Bliss State and starkly contrasts the other parts in a coherently lush traverse of ambient crackle and glittering melody…

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/

This information has been available for at least a couple days now, but I might as well throw it out there because HYPE LOL :^) As usual, no artwork or preorder until it comes out, but here is all the information currently given on the Bandcamp page:

**STAGE 6 WILL BE RELEASED ON MARCH 14th at 5pm GMT.**

[...]

Stage 6 - Released on March 14th 2019
Is without description.

I know it's kind of early to post this (over a month away still), but hey, might as well?

I'm scared.

Edited by someguy

I havent listened to stage 5 since november I think.. time to binge on everywhere at the end of time until it's conclusion

stage 5 is still def aoty for me btw (followed by stage 4)

So i gave a listen to the first three stages on saturday and the last two today, can really recommend listening to it split up like this.. makes for a beautiful and terrifying listen.

My appreciation for the last two stages has really grown man, I honestly have never had music make me feel the way everywhere at the end of time has... really excited for it's conclusion.