IGNORED

The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time

triachus

Awesome but now I have to hold on for a few more days before I can listen - must experience the vinyl first as I've done with the previous 5 parts.  I'll be ready for that CD/catalogue thingy too on April 7th  :w00t:

Sorta bittersweet exhilaration feelings right now... thank you Mr K!

Pretty stunning conclusion, particularly the piece that comes in towards the end of the final track. Moments of heavy resonance especially if you know the name of the piece and where it comes from.

Pretty stunning conclusion, particularly the piece that comes in towards the end of the final track. Moments of heavy resonance especially if you know the name of the piece and where it comes from.

care to illuminate a simpleton like me

I'll pm you. Don't want to spoil it for those who are still on the journey through the albums.

this whole project reminds me of my grampa, who spent his last few years unable to communicate, or even see, at all, lost in his mind living god knows what. Sometimes I think of what I'll do when, or if, my parents reach that state and it freaks me out tbh. I'm really curious about what's going on in the mind of someone at that stage, but I guess we'll never truly know.

this whole project reminds me of my grampa, who spent his last few years unable to communicate, or even see, at all, lost in his mind living god knows what. Sometimes I think of what I'll do when, or if, my parents reach that state and it freaks me out tbh. I'm really curious about what's going on in the mind of someone at that stage, but I guess we'll never truly know.

My wife's grandfather is reaching the later stages of amnesia, he's barely there it seems, but he has those rare and brief moments of lucidity still. I plan to listen to the whole lot of albums with him in mind.

The bonus albun is lovely.. not actualy listened to Stage 6 yet waiting till I can give it my proper attention

RiP Caretaker thanks for all the amazing music! And Looking forward to whatever Mr Kirby comes at us with next

I'll pm you. Don't want to spoil it for those who are still on the journey through the albums.

Would you be so kind as to tell me too? I half-think I know what it is, can't quite grasp it. (Which I suppose is the whole idea....)

Would you be so kind as to tell me too? I half-think I know what it is, can't quite grasp it. (Which I suppose is the whole idea....)

Sure. I've PM'd you.

I also found this recently on The Wire UK. 

https://www.thewire.co.uk/audio/on-air/p=14858

The Caretaker - Recollections from Old London Town

The Caretaker - Unreleased Memory (1998) 
Leyland Kirby - Days In The Wilderness (Excerpts) 
The Stranger - Kirkbymoorside 
The Caretaker - In The Swing Of Things (Unreleased) 
The Caretaker - Cerebral Haemorrhage 
The Caretaker - Memory 82 
The Stranger - Kirkbymoorside (Reprisal) 
The Caretaker - Von Restorff Effect 
The Caretaker - Deleted Scenes/Forgotten Dreams 
The Caretaker - Unmasking Alzheimer's (Unreleased Mix) 
The Caretaker - Unreleased Memory (2009) 
The Caretaker - London Town You Haunt Me Night And Day

Download the mix in its entirety by scrolling about halfway down the page.
  • Like 1

Sure. I've PM'd you.

Could you share that piece of info with me as well, please?

Sure. I've PM'd you.

Could you share that piece of info with me as well, please?

No worries.

it's easier to just post it in spoiler tags so whoever doesnt want to get spoiled can avoid it

The closing minutes of the final track feature the sudden appearance of a reworked piece called 'Friends Past re-united' which originally appeared on 'A Stairway to the Stars' back in 2002.

Actually guys, I've been giving you some slightly wrong information. It's even earlier than I thought.

The closing minutes of the final track feature the sudden appearance of a piece called 'Friends Past re-united' which originally appeared on the first Caretaker album 'Selected Memories From The Haunted Ballroom' way back in 1999.

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/album/selected-memories-from-the-haunted-ballroom

Regards

I think the relative silence in here says something about what this last part does to people...

Personally, I find everything flowing into a sort of logical progression of what I could have expected. Tense, frightening and claustrophobic atmospheres alternating with those blissful peace-at-last parts. It works, it really works, especially when you consider this project grew organically. Part 4 now sounds rich and almost oversaturated compared to the later parts, whereas it first sounded empty compared to the preconscious states. The last track really stands out, because it is absolute bliss, free of all that earthbound hiss and those pops and clicks... Peace at last, not minding to be there any more. But then that last part bursts through...

I don't know what to make of that... is that heaven? Or did we just get pulled back down? Is that a requiem for ourselves, or is it one for our life-long loved one that we are forced to witness, in an absolute last moment of consciousness? And then nothing... Fuck...

I'll have to get back to you on that...

Thank you, mr. Kirby. I think...

Just finished my first listen of part 6.  Did not disappoint.  A fitting end, quite beautiful and sad.  I'm looking forward to hearing the six parts in one go when I have the chance, I think as a sequence it will be even greater than the sum of it's parts.  I like how every previous release was referenced or alluded to in some way.  Funny how I struggled with part 4 when I first heard it but now I think it's my favorite part, although I suspect part 6 might end up being the overall winner for me.

I also gave parts 1-3 a listen on shuffle - I think I read somewhere that Mr. Kirby said parts 1-3 could be played in any order? Anyway, I highly recommend it  - I was so used to the normal order that it gave fresh life to those first 3 parts.  The abrupt endings help and it was nice to have the straight up loops mixed in with some of the later stranger tracks. 

Now onto that bonus album.... :)

As a side note, does anyone know if the Weirdcore videos have been abandoned? (tbh it was pretty ambitious so I could understand why it may have been!)

I think the relative silence in here says something about what this last part does to people...

Personally, I find everything flowing into a sort of logical progression of what I could have expected. Tense, frightening and claustrophobic atmospheres alternating with those blissful peace-at-last parts. It works, it really works, especially when you consider this project grew organically. Part 4 now sounds rich and almost oversaturated compared to the later parts, whereas it first sounded empty compared to the preconscious states. The last track really stands out, because it is absolute bliss, free of all that earthbound hiss and those pops and clicks... Peace at last, not minding to be there any more. But then that last part bursts through...

I don't know what to make of that... is that heaven? Or did we just get pulled back down? Is that a requiem for ourselves, or is it one for our life-long loved one that we are forced to witness, in an absolute last moment of consciousness? And then nothing... Fuck...

I'll have to get back to you on that...

Thank you, mr. Kirby. I think...

I'm not entirely sure what the relative silence says on this forum other than perhaps (and that's a big perhaps) this is a more emotionally and musically challenging release than the vast majority of Autechre's output.

It's certainly on a par in terms of duration - or at least very nearly. Seven discs for this.

But as a journey it has most certainly been more diverse, more challenging and more difficult. I agree with you about Stage 4, sounding shockingly random and overwrought as it sort of did at the time. But I think this is why James wanted us to consider the project of this six part series as a whole, not as individual parts, that progressed over time. Stage 4 is utterly terrifying, confusing... nonsensical. A confused jumble of memories, emotions, experiences and dissonant feelings. Stage 5 took those elements and built on them, whereas Stage 6 is exactly what I thought it would be... a haze of dark, drone-like blurrings of the past. It breaks the fourth wall with a funereal scene at the end. It's breathtaking.