IGNORED

10th MOST IDM Tournament - Sweet Sixteen!

Root5

Choose 1 from each  

64 members have voted

1. 1. 1

• Wearing headphones without listening to anything
    • Thinking IDM is still a thing
  2. 2. 2

• Ulillillia
    • Intentionally losing the "one" in a track, and getting lost in an amorphous bath of buzzes, clicks, and clanks
  3. 3. 3

• Hating music
    • Being botanically ignorant enough to unwittingly buy a plant that will engulf your entire room eventually
  4. 4. 4

• Ordinary words that sound vaguely futuristic
    • Waiting until vaporwave is declared dead before actively listening to it
  5. 5. 5

• Editing out parts of other artists' tracks that you feel are weak
    • Not being able to hold direct eye contact
  6. 6. 6

• Microsoft's teen girl AI going rogue
    • Nominating Ulillillia every year until he wins
  7. 7. 7

• Not spending time outside, but instead listening to music that portrays unusually spacious scenes
    • A video of a dude with small but still within the range or normal-sized legs jamming in Southbank on synths that are powered by a car battery, while people walk by with angry expressions and a single old bearded drunk man dances gleefully
  8. 8. 8

• MRI scans (45 minutes of being stuck in the tube of a superconductor coil with heavy metals pumping through your veins while being blasted with stupidly loud phased square waves against a background of bubbling liquid helium)
    • 4/4 time signatures that sound like odd meters

Another two votes for Ulillillia. It was impossible to choose between "hating music" and "being botanically ignorant enough to unwittingly buy a plant that will engulf your entire room eventually" though, really wanted to vote on both...

Whichever of these wins, I think this year's Most IDM comp is going to be even more hard to explain to people who don't already know about IDM and watmm. (Which was already awkward previous years.)  This of course makes it even more IDM, so I'm not complaining.

Whichever of these wins, I think this year's Most IDM comp is going to be even more hard to explain to people who don't already know about IDM and watmm. (Which was already awkward previous years.) This of course makes it even more IDM, so I'm not complaining.

Most IDM originally wasn't about the comps. They were about what watmm thought was most IDM. The comps thing got tacked on later, and frankly, for the worse, since now everyone votes for things that would make a good comp rather than what is genuinely Most IDM™. The winners have been stupid bland shit ever since. This one finally has finalists that aren't obvious comp-bait, and there's still a chance for the grandmaster of IDM to win.

Whichever of these wins, I think this year's Most IDM comp is going to be even more hard to explain to people who don't already know about IDM and watmm. (Which was already awkward previous years.)  This of course makes it even more IDM, so I'm not complaining.

If Uli wins, I expect a BEE! BEE! track.

Whichever of these wins, I think this year's Most IDM comp is going to be even more hard to explain to people who don't already know about IDM and watmm. (Which was already awkward previous years.) This of course makes it even more IDM, so I'm not complaining.

Most IDM originally wasn't about the comps. They were about what watmm thought was most IDM. The comps thing got tacked on later, and frankly, for the worse, since now everyone votes for things that would make a good comp rather than what is genuinely Most IDM™. The winners have been stupid bland shit ever since. This one finally has finalists that aren't obvious comp-bait, and there's still a chance for the grandmaster of IDM to win.

What topics won before the comps? The first one I remember is beards.

Uli still in it! I look forward to making a pizza-degreasing track in his honour.

!!!

Which was '06, if memory serves correct.  That one had a great comp!  Though I think it was in protest against cats taking the official most IDM victory, so technically not a most IDM comp... more of a should-have-been-most-IDM comp.  Or am I completely off base here.

Archived