IGNORED

Bvdub- Yours Are Stories Of Sadness

watmmisdead

https://bvdub.bandcamp.com/album/yours-are-stories-of-sadness

Different project from him.

There's many melodic downtempo track. there's still a lot of tracks with bvdub-type atmospheric ambient, but many much more melodically driven downtempo tracks that seem, I hope, a new direction from him: track 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13 particularly!

May be my fav downtempo release form him.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

He's terrible, emo and all his releases sound the same.

Discuss.

(white clouds drift on and on is ok)

melodically I feel he is constantly evolving, but aesthetically its indeed the same formula/ same sounds.

I feel if you listen only superficially/rapidly, it seems boring but if you really float with the music

and invest yourself, very few artist seem as intimate, heartfelt, interesting, melodic and emotionally packed. I feel you either love him or hate him.

All i know is that once I listen to Born In Tokyo on peruvianus torch mescaline, bvdub touched my heart in a way nobody ever did before, its very heartfelt music to me.

id suggest listening only to his work after 2013, before 2012/2013, not a lot is to my taste. 

a couple of highlights:

the introduction of this track up to 6 min is very special to me and then how it evolves, very hypnotic.

from 10min onward !!!!

I've wanted to get into him for ages, but there's just way too much there to know remotely where to start, especially given that the few tracks I've heard do sound quite similar to each other (even though they're gorgeous), and I've seen so many accusations of all his stuff sounding the same.

I've wanted to get into him for ages, but there's just way too much there to know remotely where to start, especially given that the few tracks I've heard do sound quite similar to each other (even though they're gorgeous), and I've seen so many accusations of all his stuff sounding the same.

Even his uptempo work contain lots of long ambient moments which im sure turn off many people.

his ambient work indeed sounds often the same, especially everything he did before 2012. but even then if you listen to Home then white clouds or even his 3 ambient album he release since 2015 (safety in a number, a thousands words and Yours are stories of sadness), I find he doesnt really repeat himself. It would be like saying analords series sounds the same as if this is a reason to critic analords. 

What can be said however is that his tracks are repetitive, he relies a lot on repeating melodic line and percussion which become hypnotic and creates a lot of emotion for me at least. he often seem to almost saturate and overwhelm voluntarly the track in a way I find very original. his melodies are gorgeous to me: he's a trained pianist I think and it shows.

I dont listen much to what he did before 2012: there are incredible melodic ideas before 2012, but he often stretch them too long to my taste. 

if I had to recommend 3 of his uptempo work:

Born in Tokyo

Ill only break your heart (this is the album that made me realize how much I liked Bvdub)

A step in the dark

I really like the track wishing https://bvdub.bandcamp.com/album/wishing-and-withering

Thanks for informing me about this! I love brocks simple and ambient dub style techno from 2007 to 2009. I cringe everytime I hear his later work with the cheesy vocal samples - "aaaaaseeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiooooooo" - drenched in reverb, layers of pads and excessive limiting with loud mastering. Great to finally have an INSTRUMENTAL album from him again, a clear instabuy!!!

Listened to the videos linked above. I liked all the tracks until the vocals started. Didn't like the vocals and didn't think they fitted the music either. Off to hunt down the instrumental albums to see if I like them more.

The Art of Dying Alone is one of my favorite ambient albums. In general that kind of genre is where he excels. Don't Say You Know is an example of his beat-driven material (hesitant to say dnb but it's around there) that I think is pretty tasteful. Vocals are fitting for the most part there.

Everything mentioned here is accurate. There are some releases I don't enjoy at all, and I totally get why some people can't stand the ones that I do enjoy. Just one of those artists with no audience consensus

Thanks for informing me about this! I love brocks simple and ambient dub style techno from 2007 to 2009.

That is his work I like the least. His last two albums are his best imo. There has definitely been a progression in his work.

This collection is very nice and minimal....and relaxing.

Archived