45 minutes ago, ignatius said:

he's a robot. i forgot his whole story line. i should rewatch 1 and 2. 

i'm guessing we'll get some more back story type flashback stuff throughout the season. 

What about the fucking guns, how do they work? In the hands of hosts they kill both hosts and guests but in the hand of guests they kill only hosts? 

Edited by Tim_J

34 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

What about the fucking guns, how do they work? In the hands of hosts they kill both hosts and guests but in the hand of guests they kill only hosts? 

i need to rewatch 1 and 2.  i always have issues w/lack of continuity but seem to have given westworld a pass in some cases but i forget. 

S03E01 was a clusterfuck. Like everything was just mashed together. Episodes 2 and 3 were better. But I'm inclined to agree that they've bitten off more than they can chew here. I'll watch though, the visuals are pretty and the near-future tech is cool.

On 4/1/2020 at 12:34 AM, ignatius said:

i need to rewatch 1 and 2.  i always have issues w/lack of continuity but seem to have given westworld a pass in some cases but i forget. 

nvrmnd i'm too much of a square for these shows... probably the day the gun didn't work was before the hosts awaken and the day where the host kills the guy is the day after...

about the other security dude, he appears again on ep3 and he explains that he was kidnapped but they didn't killed him for whatever stoopid reason...

15 hours ago, Allize said:

Oh god this is going to shit. It's feeling like crappy scifi action tvseries. I can't believe it's the same writers.

i wonder if they have an end point for this season? do they know what the arc is or are they just piecing it together?

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

i wonder if they have an end point for this season? do they know what the arc is or are they just piecing it together?

i think that was always intentional with the show, just like the AI trying to get around all those mixed up memories, they intend to put the viewer in the same shoes, and it's easier for them to write like this... :trollface:

The problem with this season is there's nothing really that interesting about it from a sociological/psychological perspective. No questions about consciousness/self-awareness, nothing really existential. It's not bad, but so far it's not as good as the first two seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 5:28 AM, chenGOD said:

The problem with this season is there's nothing really that interesting about it from a sociological/psychological perspective. No questions about consciousness/self-awareness, nothing really existential. It's not bad, but so far it's not as good as the first two seasons.

at some point i expect a big monologue from Deloris about her motivations which will be about consciousness/humanity etc. her character has flirted w/that at times when convincing people of her point or to work w/her. this season so far seems to be about missions like missions in a modern game. she has to achieve a bunch of things to get to her goal and along the way they let us know how she's gone about things. 

the bigger theme seems to be about choice and who gets to make the choices.. the big super computer thing and what is life, what is a life worth living etc etc.. curious where they take that as it seems relevant w/things like facebook and data collecting. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ignatius said:

at some point i expect a big monologue from Deloris about her motivations which will be about consciousness/humanity etc. her character has flirted w/that at times when convincing people of her point or to work w/her. this season so far seems to be about missions like missions in a modern game. she has to achieve a bunch of things to get to her goal and along the way they let us know how she's gone about things. 

the bigger theme seems to be about choice and who gets to make the choices.. the big super computer thing and what is life, what is a life worth living etc etc.. curious where they take that as it seems relevant w/things like facebook and data collecting

Right, which (the bold part) is frankly, not very interesting. It’s been covered a lot elsewhere, and better.

I preferred it when they dealt with the first part of your post, i.e. what is consciousness and should sentient robots have rights etc. That’s still such a new field that there is a lot to say about it. I suppose the tie-in between the two concepts is understandable, but I feel they could do more on the robot rights thing. 

the gamification aspect I can kind of see. I just think her motivations and actions have been very inconsistent this season, so maybe that will be explained through a monologue...?

Spoiler

How ridiculous was that party drug Jesse Caleb got jabbed with. Topkek  

And why didn’t Liam Dempsey figure out right away that his security guard had been replaced? The android wouldn’t have the same signal to the glasses right? Especially with Dolores’ consciousness in his head...

this episode was the best one yet from the season. That's not saying much though.

Ah yes that drug thing from te previous episode was ridiculous. No explanation can justify it. The directors should be ashamed

6 hours ago, Allize said:

this episode was the best one yet from the season. That's not saying much though.

I guess so - I liked the first uh maybe 2/3rds of it.

Spoiler

But the fact that Hale/Dolores can take out that many security goons, and that Serac wouldn't think to cutoff her access to control systems once he's revealed he knows who she is, and that the hosts can suddenly live through getting burnt to a crisp (I'm sure they "died" from much less trauma in season 01)...that last 15 minutes was ridiculous.

I am interested in the William plot though, and how that will all tie together.

i'm liking s3. easier to watch than s2. s2 was kind of hit and miss, probably because they alternated directors for each episode, but also because they were kind of straddling the challenges of maintaining loose ends from s1 and bridging the story with the inevitable breaking-out from the park. also the samurai stuff seemed obligatory because they teased it in s1, when it seemed like an awesome idea. maybe it will pay off with the big maeve vs delores matrix-esque samurai fight that i think is coming.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Westworld season 1 right up until the point Mae (is she called Mae? The prostitute bot) shot up mostly EVERYONE in the complex, got through the door and then sat down in the train. There were people in the train and everything was operating normally, like there wasn't a massacre just a room away. This feeling persisted throughout season 2 which I didn't even finish. It's like they write shit just to write it.

56 minutes ago, Dpek said:

I enjoyed Westworld season 1 right up until the point Mae (is she called Mae? The prostitute bot) shot up mostly EVERYONE in the complex, got through the door and then sat down in the train. There were people in the train and everything was operating normally, like there wasn't a massacre just a room away. This feeling persisted throughout season 2 which I didn't even finish. It's like they write shit just to write it.

That's basically a problem with all action tv shows/movies, fictional people are just more used to running gun battles, car chases and things exploding around them on a regular basis. It's no big deal.

Edited by caze

S3 was feeling better and better each episode, but episode 7 kinda was meh. Hopefully will redeem itself with episode 8... dunno. Best way to describe my growing problem with the series, is that it's focused more on gimmicks than actual character development. Half of the characters, IDK why they are even here, as they have barely changed since S1. However at the same time, the series plot is in an interesting position, so it's inconsistent in quality basically.

Westworld at this point is worth watching, but just not at a MUST watch level anymore. If it was cancelled tomorrow I'd just be like: "Well it had a decent enough run".

Edited by Brisbot

14 hours ago, Brisbot said:

focused more on gimmicks

Like guns that defy the laws of physics?

As for the story,it really feels like they're just rolling some dice to see where it will go. Jesse Pinkman  Caleb as the catalyst of human destruction (prior to which he was the most likeable character on the show), just because he learned he got played by an AI? Dolores commits suicide by EMP just to stop Maeve, and kills off the rogue AI? What the fuck?

6 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Like guns that defy the laws of physics?

As for the story,it really feels like they're just rolling some dice to see where it will go. Jesse Pinkman  Caleb as the catalyst of human destruction (prior to which he was the most likeable character on the show), just because he learned he got played by an AI? Dolores commits suicide by EMP just to stop Maeve, and kills off the rogue AI? What the fuck?

Gimmicks in general. Westworld has always had these "Oh wow wasn't that a twist!" moments, which when coupled with interesting characters and plot then are justified. But the new season, while having interesting moments, and a few of the episodes were good, doesn't justify the plot twist-yness of this season. Feels like there are twists for the sake of twists. Also their need to go back to Westworld when so far season 3 has had nothing to do with westworld or it's parks.

Also, Maeve and Bernard has been my two favorite characters in S1 and S2, but they both feel shoehorned in this season, like the showrunners feel obligated to keep them in when they feel kind of irrelevant to the plot as it is currently.

Also, I don't get why Dolores feels the need for poetic justice. Doesn't seem like something she'd have cared about in s2.

Dolores commits suicide by EMP just to stop Maeve, and kills off the rogue AI? What the fuck?

They seem to be hinting that she isn't the main Dolores, and was just another pawn. I'm betting she wasn't the original.

Edited by Brisbot