Episode three got into weirdness - in both the tech and the storyline.

What to make of this Arnold? Did Ford have him offed? Or is he suggesting that he was murdered, perhaps by a host?

What is the deal with this Wyatt saga introduced by Ford?

Will Bernard continue poking in places he shouldn't? Will he get glasses that actually fit his face?

Still liking it though. Continues to be fun.

Episode three was odd. The new storylines seemed forced as though they didn't really know where to take it.

A show that will potentially get very complex, I guess. My only worry is that in the wrong hands, it could turn very silly very quickly.

Hopefully, they keep things fairly tight.

It would be interesting if the park designer had created the park's administrative structure to amuse himself and they were all android lifeforms as well, just running at an higher level of consciousness. So there was no 'board' with the threat that the entails and Bernard's lost child was but a 'motivation' memory, buried at his core. So when Anthony Hopkins tells bernard, "just don't forget, the hosts are not real", this is an injoke for himself to be making this statement to an android that is convinced of it's humanity.

Of course, this would not be what's going on, but i don't care to speculate over the obvious stuff that is happening, or over the mysteries that have been opened up. Be nice if this was the deeper layer to it all, to be revealed near the end though.

another great episode, liked the Julian Jaynes angle, which destroyed my theory that the emerging consciousness was down to deliberate meddling by someone, but it's equally interesting that it was some dormant piece of code being activated that led to everything clicking into place. like the introduction of the Blood Meridian style lunatic.

this show is garbage

i tried to watch this last night as i keep hearing from everyone about it.

couldn't FUCKING stand it. i think mainly it's jonathan nolan's fault because his treatment of this is too clinical with characters moving in such a restricted and contrived manner it became very distracting for me (eg. the scientists in the lab talking about the androids/robots).

the second thing i hated was the casting. the guy who plays the new guy in westworld and meets evan rachel wood just seemed an incorrect casting choice. also, for whatever reason, ed harris is playing the same character he played in a history of violence- right now to the stilted 'upper-body-doesn't-function-properly thing he did.

turned it off after he killed that one guy and drags evan rachel wood into a shed.

this show is DEFINITELY not for me

this show is garbage

i tried to watch this last night as i keep hearing from everyone about it.

couldn't FUCKING stand it. i think mainly it's jonathan nolan's fault because his treatment of this is too clinical with characters moving in such a restricted and contrived manner it became very distracting for me (eg. the scientists in the lab talking about the androids/robots).

the second thing i hated was the casting. the guy who plays the new guy in westworld and meets evan rachel wood just seemed an incorrect casting choice. also, for whatever reason, ed harris is playing the same character he played in a history of violence- right now to the stilted 'upper-body-doesn't-function-properly thing he did.

turned it off after he killed that one guy and drags evan rachel wood into a shed.

this show is DEFINITELY not for me

Surprised you don't like it at all. If the points you mentioned really bother you, I don't think you'll be watching it any further.

correct. i couldn't even finish this first episode (don't think i even made it halfway)

Jeez, that's bad. 

It's pretty much my experience of 'Stranger Things' albeit for different reasons.

yeah that's why i said this show isn't for me.

it's interesting because now when i think about it, stranger things has a more old school approach to science fiction where everything is more from a child's perspective and thus looked upon with wonder and amazement whereas westworld comes with a more modern arrogance whereas things are taken as is with characters exchanging moments when they can upstage and one up each other with their smarts. 

i even found the intro annoying

yeah that's why i said this show isn't for me.

it's interesting because now when i think about it, stranger things has a more old school approach to science fiction where everything is more from a child's perspective and thus looked upon with wonder and amazement whereas westworld comes with a more modern arrogance whereas things are taken as is with characters exchanging moments when they can upstage and one up each other with their smarts. 

i even found the intro annoying

yeah the theme music :cerious: not really sure what that is or meant to be ... its sadly fallen into being a pretty generic tv show quite fast, hoping it can wakeup as was excited 4 this. feel its just gone over the same material for 3 epis now & in this 'super high tech world' we only hear about the other worlds, although sure they must pop up in the future. any how the rock head thing at the end was kinda lol although pissed he didnt go for the other (trying to avoid spoilers) as that would of sped things up a tad, .....anyway walking dead premiere soon  :catnope:   

another great episode, liked the Julian Jaynes angle, which destroyed my theory that the emerging consciousness was down to deliberate meddling by someone, but it's equally interesting that it was some dormant piece of code being activated that led to everything clicking into place. like the introduction of the Blood Meridian style lunatic.

There might still be some of that Jaynes angle left - the last episode is titled "The Bicameral Mind".

What dormant piece of code are you referring to? The code that Arnold tried to implement, or did I miss something else?

Yeah, Arnold implemented an interior monologue style narrative to transmit the instructions/action to the androids (which we heard examples of in previous episodes and at the end of this one, i.e. the Jaynes style 'speaking' half), as well as all kinds of other unspecified details. Ford mentioned he thought they had cleared out all the code Arnold had put in there, aside from the voice commands used in analysis/etc., but the implication there was he wasn't sure, and probably had something to do with what was going down now. A combination of the reveries and possibly Lowe's fiddling around seem to have triggered some of that dormant code.

Edited by caze

Ok - thought you might have meant something else which I had missed but yes, it seems like that combination of factors is the most obvious trigger.

I'm excited for the possibilities in this show, but also mindful that it could end up a clusterfuck like Lost.....

I think the next two episodes will be crucial as to whether this gets really good with long term potential in terms of plot and development or if it just becomes a confusing mess with no direction like Lost.

I think the next two episodes will be crucial as to whether this gets really good with long term potential in terms of plot and development or if it just becomes a confusing mess with no direction like Lost.

It doesn't have Lindelof involved, but it has the other producer from Lost, Bryan Burk involved (along with JJ Abrams (who had little input on Lost a part from the pilot)). I hope it doesn't go into a mess like Lost. The next episodes hopefully tighten things up plotwise as I thought the last one lost a little steam. It would be a shame if it devolves into Lost territory as I think it has the potential to be very interesting. And I need a good sci-fi show to follow.

WW seems, so far, a lot better then say wayward pines, which was also pretty decent to start but snowballed into a mess so hope it doesn't lose its way like that .....anyway twin peaks premiere soon   :catnope:   

WW seems, so far, a lot better then say wayward pines, which was also pretty decent to start but snowballed into a mess so hope it doesn't lose its way like that .....anyway twin peaks premiere soon   :catnope:   

I don't think it will become anything like Wayward or a dozen other shows. This is HBO's replacement for when Game Of Thrones starts to wind down. It has a ton of money and talent behind it. It's in a different class to most other shows (acting, photography, visual effects etc). It's obvious just looking at it there on screen.

Having said that, it doesn't guarantee success.

Edited by fumi

.....anyway twin peaks premiere soon   :catnope:   

That is one show that could derail before your very eyes.  Early reviews will probably be glowing about Lynch's weirdness to explain things not making any sense. After a few episodes, people will realise that it just doesn't make sense. Period.

I'm on the fence about that show because if you go back to the original - it was an absolute clusterfuck by the end of season 1.

The thing with Westworld is imho: is it a smart series or is it a dumb series?

It could go either way at this point, there are some clever things about it, but tbh that's mostly the detailed production design... the plot - dunno. Either it's really subversive and everything will get turned on it's head real soon, or, it is what it is and what we see which is just a huge playground for tons of loose ideas spinning out of control inside an Alice in Wonderland maze with the ominous bad god-like guy Hopkins pulling strings... and tbh from what we've seen it totally looks like that.

Yeah I agree - although I'd be willing to give them a little longer. Hopefully they don't try and throw too many "quests" into the show.

Yeah I agree - although I'd be willing to give them a little longer. Hopefully they don't try and throw too many "quests" into the show.

Yeah, I'd give it until the end of the first season but the general public/casual viewer will have made their mind up long before then.

Just watched the third episode again as I was distracted last time.

That bit of younger Anthony Hopkins they did on CGI. Probably cost as much as a whole episode of another show. Still trying think what early movie they might have lifted it from.