IGNORED

Listening to your own music

dingformung

I recorded so many tapes as a kid. Loads got taped over but I still have about 30 of them. Lots of it is fucking terrible (aimlessly strumming my dad's guitar along with a casio keyboard beat) but at times it's really enjoyable too. Had way more imagination and ambition back then than I do now.

Fuck yeah. If I'm particularly enamoured with a track I'll listen to it 10+ times in a row. 

I generally listen to new ones a lot and then older personal favourites. Specific tracks can act like bookmarks reminding you of a time or feeling.

hahaha I do that all the time.The new fresh and good tracks get repeated to death.

10+ times in a row on the day,and following days i made them.

Very old tracks i never listen.

I listen pretty much to less than a year old tracks usually.

But i listen to them ALL.THE.TIME.

My music is some of my favorite music ever(narcissistic much? hahaha)

I make music to have new stuff to play in the style i like.

When i want a track in particular style i dont look for one, i make one.

Edited by fxbip

• 4 years later...

Just listened to a wank-y 20 minute modular jam of mine and felt kinda pleased, lol. It's not really a good track, though

tallxen1.mp3

On 10/5/2016 at 9:54 PM, Braintree said:

Going too far back can make me cringe pretty badly, though. I'll hear a ton of options that I didn't choose.

Yeah, listening back to the stuff I did 4 years ago (that's how old this thread is), there is a lot of really bad stuff to be found. Generally, though, it's mostly similar to my recent music, just in a much more basic and unrefined way. Also, I had much worse speakers & headphones and the mixes suck ass. I guess I will look back on my recent output in a couple of years and think the same again.

On 10/5/2016 at 9:54 PM, Braintree said:

Going too far back can make me cringe pretty badly, though. I'll hear a ton of options that I didn't choose.

Same here, just trying to ignore the ones that I published, always tend to find an improvement could be done on that tune.

About my unpublished stuff is different, the vast majority is a mediocre experimentation but still a few gems here and there.

I would say that deppends on how perfectionist you're.

Edited by Diurn

I pretty much only listen to my own music these days, unless I'm on a production forum giving feedback or listening to friends' stuff. Usually the stuff I'm currently working on (my album picks usually just end up being whatever I've listened to most without thinking about it). I go back & listen to old albums at most like once a year, intentionally so they'll stay fresh & maintain that special time capsule feeling

I'd like to get back into listening to music that isn't mine, but any time I try to I just get bored after five minutes & decide I'd rather be working on new stuff instead