IGNORED

Arturia drumbrute

d-a-m-o

More like dumb brute amiright?!? 

2 - I think it's capable of some decent sounds especially with separate processing

3 - I like the beat repeat feature

4 - For the price I think it's pretty decent 

5 - I doubt I'll be buying one. 

6 - However I think this will sell very well (that doesn't make it good I know) They will be targeting people with TR8's and volca beats. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad for the price, but from the couple of demos I've heard the sounds are pretty bland. I'm sure in the right hands (and with the right processing) this will be a great machine for some people, but it's definitely not for me. Even if I hadn't just bought an Elektron Rytm a few months back, I still wouldn't go for this personally...and that's just because it doesn't have much in the way of balls or character to make it a worthy purchase over just using samples/instruments via DAW. 

Guest Chesney

This looks really good! it's not for me particularly. Like most drum machines they are one trick pony's as far as sound goes unless you process heavily but then it does not matter what the original sound is like, you're just buying for the interface I guess, which does look fun on this.

Not enough variety of sound for me, I want synthesis.

I hope they made it easily modable, there must be a bunch of parameters hidden in there just waiting to be tweaked.

DOODZ, what the fuck are any of you talking about--

this ~sounds~ really fucking good.

I mean, it sounds like soda water and velvet.

There've only been a few drum machines in the past 5 years that can be recognized by sonic quality, and this is one of them.  The sound-feel on this is awesome.  IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT HAIR- IT'S HOW YOU STYLE IT!  ...That being said, the general selection of hits is kind of lame, like most drum machines nowadays.

Does every single song in the world only have either a snare drum or clap on the 2 and 4?!  If there are actually more sounds than those two, then someone needs to put them in a fucking drum machine.  The clap came out more than 200,000 fucking years ago, and the snare hit came out more than 700 years ago.  Drum machines are fucking bullshit.

I don't make a whole lot of money but I might actually pick one of these up if I'm willing to save for it. The polyrhythm ability is what's selling it to me, looks neat.

This looks really good! it's not for me particularly. Like most drum machines they are one trick pony's as far as sound goes unless you process heavily but then it does not matter what the original sound is like, you're just buying for the interface I guess, which does look fun on this.

Not enough variety of sound for me, I want synthesis.

exactly. so tired of all these drum machines doing knockoffs of knockoffs of the TR sounds, after 30yrs. where are the mutated drum synth machines? if you have to post process to get different sounds whats the point? the sounds this thing has seem good for what they are though, so for someone who does want that sound, it might be ok for the price. def 100x better than those akai offerings

Yeah wtf where's my analogue finger snaps

You wrote that as a joke, and then you realized that I was dead serious, after you also agreed with what you wrote.  That is the power of imagination!  You wrote a one-line joke on an internet music forum, and your post already has a feature that doesn't exist on any analog drum machine, ever.

These motherfuckers are using hundreds of years worth of reverse-engineered grey alien technology to produce the same sounds over and over and over.  I bet when you open up modern analog drum machines, if you look really closely, you'll just see another tiny analog drum machine inside that's been shrunk with alien technology.  These people keep selling us the same damn drum machine year after year, and we never revolt with millions of us on months long hunger strikes, cuz we all gotta eat to make music.  That's pretty lame.

As Atari Teenage Riot used to yell: "Riot sounds produce riots!"  This is true.

So what do analog drum machine sounds produce?  -ANALOG DRUM MACHINES!!!

What the fuck motherfucker- this is simple physics.  Every time any one of us buys an analog drum machine, several of the same drum machine will be birthed under a different brand and seemingly different flavor.  You all know about The Singularity?  The merging of AI and human consciousness into one massive ultra system-- but fuck that- the whole universe is just going to use every single atom to build analog drum machines, over and over and over.  And even after there is no energy left in all of existence, Behringer will still come out with an analog drum machine, cuz they don't give a fuck about quality control.

All right- Gocab noted the need for finger snaps, so we got that.  What else, what else...

ANALOG DRUM MACHINE SONIC NECESSITY LIST

-finger snaps

-knee slaps

-foot stomps (It's like Queen busted out the foot stomp with We Will Rock You, dropped the mic, and nobody ever heard that shit originally, since)

-that jackoff sound you make with your cheek

-every beatbox sound

-knuckle cracks

-whip cracks

-metal drum

-that clock sound you make with your tongue

-kung fu striking sounds

-explosions (from pistols to nuclear)

....Fuck, that list took me a few minutes, and it already conceptually dominates the whole analog drum machine industry.  This is fucked up, dudes.  I'm serving these motherfuckers so hard, and I don't even have to open up a restaurant.  Please, somebody e-mail this to all pertinent companies.  They are 92% people who never even use their own equipment, because if they did, they would do their own demos, personally (good ones).  Like if you made the most badass analog drum machine of all time, wouldn't you demo that beast yourself?  OF COURSE!!!!!  These people keep using mostly mediocre-talent presentation assholes who don't care about the community, which is why they accept money to perpetuate mediocrity in the first place.  And even within that mediocrity it's like overall 70% technical explanation, 30% music.  That seems as if it would make sense, but who the fuck cares?  Seriously.  Really--- think about it.  If you can show me an amazing performance with your machine, show me.  Don't tell me how I can potentially do it.  If you can't show me, then you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.  Doctor talking about health who looks like shit- don't know what they're talking about.  Ugly woman talking about beauty- don't know what they're talking about.  And these motherfucking analog drum machine makers who think features in text are actually features in sound- what the fuck, man.  C'mon, man.  We're not perpetually 12.  "Oh, yeah- the transmogrification of the quadrilateral fornication- yeah, yeah-- that's a strawberry."  How about you taste it?!  EVER THINK ABOUT THAT?!?!?!?!?!

Stop telling me how good you are--- fucking show me.  Fucking, ***SHOW ME***

This is ridiculous.  I'm so fired up right now, the Sun feels like a ball of ice.  I'm out.

or they could just have more synthesis controls in there for things like frequency modulation etc, allowing you to actually make the sound you want, instead of having a ton of circuits pre-rigged to provide fart sounds

Guest Chesney

Sampling > Machinedrum = :)

I'd like more features obviously but I don't have any need for any drum machines when I have the above (even though I have a couple more and use one regularly too)

Little FM stabs and hits are always fun and super mutable.

This drum machine looks fun and a heck of a lot better than the Akai Wolf series. The sounds are alright. Guess it depends on the price.

£379

For those who are interested in this, what's appealing to you about it? The sounds, the user interface, sequencer, the connectivity, or is it the whole package?

The whole package. It's a cheap drum machine and again it depends on the price but if its around the Arturia Microbrute or cheaper then its a pretty decent alternative to the Volca Beats (Drumbrute has 64 steps!!!)

For those who are interested in this, what's appealing to you about it? The sounds, the user interface, sequencer, the connectivity, or is it the whole package?

the whole package - individual outputs and the great sequencer especially

if anyone knows of any drum machines that have both and are available to buy new i'm open to alternatives, but i honestly can't think of any.

I'd want it because it fits into my setup. Currently I have a Pro-2, Modded JX-3p, EMX-1, TR-707, Analog 4 and tx81z tied up together so they all play off the same clock. I'm always adding and subtracting little pieces from the setup and just jamming. Having individual outs and being able to keep the midi-chain going makes for fun live-tracking. Seeing as how I learned to make electronic music on a sequencer with really bad instruments, the sound almost satisfies a certain aesthetic I've grown to appreciate.

I understand that sampling and doing more work on a DAW is pretty much able to get the same sounds I want from drums... I just like touching things and playing with hardware where I'm constantly moving around and adjusting things to make sequences come to life. 

• 1 year later...
Guest Chesney

See alot being resold. Sounds like it's not TR enough for roland retards (no beef BCM ;)

Seriously though, most people seem to want a piece of gear to be legitimised before they decide that it can work with their prefered genre. Until that happens, it's not as good as such and such because it's already been used in the game.

See alot being resold. Sounds like it's not TR enough for roland retards (no beef BCM ;)

Seriously though, most people seem to want a piece of gear to be legitimised before they decide that it can work with their prefered genre until that happens, it's not as good as such and such because it's already been used in the game.

I think you're onto something there. Notice it with myself as well, a lot of uncertainty in making "art" (using quotations purely for my case) already and there's a certain added voodoo with synths and such.

• 5 months later...

I got a Tanzmaus to satisfy the "conservative analog drum machine with polyester and individual outs" itch last year and over all I love it.

Tanzmaus is the other option, it looks neat. 

So with the individual outputs I am excited about chaining up different pedals to different sounds.

I can probably google this but I presume I can get a clock out for triggering other devices with a CV input?

Getting a clock out is sort of a pain because the rim click doesn't have its own dedicated output, so to isolate it you would have to run all of the other voices from their individual outs, and then it would still share an out with one of the sample channels.  It was a bit of an oversight in the design IMO, although for me personally it isn't a big deal since I mostly use MIDI clock.

So it IS technically quite possible but not as straightforward as it should be.

EDIT: also I have no idea what word "polyester" was supposed to be in that old post before autocorrect got hold of it.

Archived