IGNORED

100 Best albums of the Nineties (Rolling Stone)

goDel

^My reasoning for including blue also stems from the fact that it seemed to have more mainstream success which I think should factor in on these lists. Albums played constantly or songs even your parents recall should trump the lesser known albums acclaimed only in hindsight and retrospect. I don't even like Dave Matthews Band but I agree that they would of been a valid inclusion on this list.

Nevermind defined modern rock from then on, for better or worse. Mostly worse, but it's not their fault. I'm not just repeating soundbites here either. It's apparent if you look at rock records made in 1990 vs 1993, by the time it had saturated. And yeah, there's a ton of underground stuff that Nirvana drew from (Pixies, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Replacements, Melvins), but that's when it exploded. And for good reason. I think hearing Nevermind for the first time with no associations would still be striking for 99% of music lovers. The whole scene just got so muddied up and overexposed. 

The list is quite narrow. Rock, hip hop, bit of pop, some token electronica thrown in. There was so much going on musically in the 90's that this list barely touches on.

Butttt that's pretty much exactly what I expected when I opened it up.

Skimmed it. Weird fucking list.

...also this Pinkerton > Blue album bullshit is out of hand. Amused they put Sublime so high but after all that is a popular and very 90s album. Apparently RS still does not like heavy metal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yep, they don't like heavy guitar or dance music or alternative music but looove a very narrow vein of mainstream urban which is way overrepresented. There's 'classic rock' artists way past their hey day thrown in there for who knows what reason (probably to appease the only people left with subscriptions to that magazine). And then there's madonna !, teh fuk.

wont click on the list but if Oasis are in there any contributors who compiled it should all be stripped naked, fed vast doses of lsd & left after dark in the sketchiest zone in Manchester

add tarred, feathered n with huge OTT Mancunian muso-haircuts, for authenticity

wont click on the list but if Oasis are in there

I think that they're in there twice. As are people like Jay Z. It's terrible to think that the more time that went by the more mainstream these lists tend to be, because the people writing them are further removed from the actual events, so their understanding of the scenes that were around become more and more vague. Should invent, AcuLenses® the lenses that clarify a view of the past for those residing in the future. (they can only be worn by people over the age of forty with an intense understanding of music (this is where their magical power comes from, AcuLenses® verified technician training helps too)).

I remember the first time I heard Nevermind was outside with a friend listening to his cassette copy on a boom box. An older bully type strolled over to antagonize us and at one point he ripped a mushroom from the ground and threw it at my head. However, I was able to reach up and grab it mid-air just before it would have hit me in the head and I hope I always remember the feeling of badassness I felt as I stared the bully down whilst crumbling the mushroom in my fist.

i agree that in utero is a better album on the whole. also just the way it's mixed and stuff is a lot nicer, albini is excellent at getting clean yet warm tones. nevermind sounds more distant and dated.

albini, novoselic and I think grohl too got together in 2013 to re-mix the album. It's not a remaster but rather a different take on the album; some tracks are more prominent, different solos, etc. It's really worth listening

I remember the first time I heard Nevermind was outside with a friend listening to his cassette copy on a boom box. An older bully type strolled over to antagonize us and at one point he ripped a mushroom from the ground and threw it at my head. However, I was able to reach up and grab it mid-air just before it would have hit me in the head and I hope I always remember the feeling of badassness I felt as I stared the bully down whilst crumbling the mushroom in my fist.

Well this is officially the coolest "first time I heard Nevermind" story I'm aware of.

I was only 5 coming on 6 when it came out. I remember hearing it on the radio all the time. At that age I don't think I ever listened to the whole album but my parents let me watch the video and the Weird Al parody video. I still have the cassette copy my parents bought back in 1991.

First time I heard Creed's "Arms Wide Open" I was 15 drinking a bottle of Dr Pepper and a kid came up to me to ask if I had 50 cents and then the song started playing and suddenly everything was moving in slow motion and I smashed the bottle over his head and then stabbed him in the dick with it

Archived