IGNORED

Your Guilty Pleasure

fumi

I had a coworker who had this, "Cry Little Sister" from the Lost Boys OST, "Bridge of Sighs" by Robin Trower, on his phone mp3 folder. Before he played that all I knew he liked was nu metal. I thought it was such a fascinating assortment of random songs he was really into.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a coworker who had this, "Cry Little Sister" from the Lost Boys OST, "Bridge of Sighs" by Robin Trower, on his phone mp3 folder. Before he played that all I knew he liked was nu metal. I thought it was such a fascinating assortment of random songs he was really into.

That Cry Little Sister song is amazing! Such rich melody and gorgeous atmosphere. Also can't forget the classic Tim Cappello's I Still Believe, which still evokes goosebumps to this day. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm not guilty of any of my pleasures because they're pleasurable...

...but i think i see what this thread is getting at so mine is Bright Eyes. For all the music that i generally listen to being non-lyrical and electronic, Conor Oberst is a blacksheep for sure. I will never not be able to recite virtually every line of every song from Fevers and Mirrors, Lifted..., and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. I guess it just stuck from the years in which i listened to Bright Eyes religiously

Every now and then a thought will cross my mind that causes me to play a track or two and it's always warm and satisfying, despite the generally hyper-depressive theme of his work (especially from that era)

Got a huge ABBA soft spot. I know they're kind of everyone's stereotypical guilty pleasure band but even so. Love tunes like SOS, and this. Actually I like a lot of cheesy disco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJwfNwWYMgk

Also quite fond of Dire Straits which is definitely very uncool, my dad always used to play them around the house when I was wee. Mind you, Mark Knopfler's solo stuff is excellent in a mostly non-guilty way, lovely blues/folk storytelling kind of songs.

Yep to both of these. Eagle is an amazing tune, such lush warmth in their recordings too.

And like, Money For Nothing is the ultimate hifi test tune right? Those huge reverb drums at the start followed by that riff. Even John Peel admitted to enjoying Sultans Of Swing and he was the ultimate Dire Straits hater. And Mark Knopfler co wrote Tina Turner's Private Dancer, that's my karaoke tune, with Boys Of Summer.

Goddamn I don't think I've ever heard anyone dodge a beat so completely. Law of averages should put her in tempo at least once or twice but she's like a fuckin stochastic patch generating off-tempo events with every iteration.

blasting van halen a lot lately. david era, mostly the debut and 1984. i feel more guilty liking the latter.

Runnin' With The Devil and Aint Talkin' 'bout Love are classics. Even in my hardcore thrasher era I secretly admired those tracks. In fact I'm off to play them right now!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived