IGNORED

V/VM (as MRS VVMILLS) - Between Nothingness & Eternity

triachus

a0390649582_10.jpg

===> https://vvmtest.bandcamp.com/album/between-nothingness-eternity <====

V/VM returns after a ten-year hiatus by colliding two worlds together.

'Between nothingness & eternity' is a Mrs Mills party version of the recent Tim Hecker 'Love Streams' album reverse engineered.

Bringing the party to the serious and the serious to the party.

THE PLAYERS:

MRS MILLS: Was one of the biggest music stars of the 60's and 70's selling millions of her party albums. Her musical contributions horribly written out of the history of British popular music. Known for her music hall style she was always reworking contemporary hits of the day on her piano, so she would be well up for this kind of shenanigans.

TIM HECKER: Is a serious musician and long time V/VM fan from Montreal whose subtle use of distortions, emotions and pain makes him a perfect fit for the 4AD label, smoke machines and the colour magenta.

V/VM : Pigs of the scene. They once helped Aphex Twin and got Chris De Burgh a coveted single of the week in the NME. Releasing an endless slew of serious works which were completely ignored or branded as some kind of endless prank. Most famously they released a tribute to Guru Josh which was voted worst record of the 20th Century by Paul Gambaccini.

--

THE PROCESS

Using the same process Tim Hecker employed when creating his 'Love Streams' V/VM also used the Melodyne software to get midi-information from his pagan creation.

This stolen midi-information was then fed into a modern software sequencer and sent directly to the 'Mrs Mills Piano'. The actual original piano craftily sampled by the Cinesamples team at the World famous Abbey Road studios in London, where Mrs Mills was a resident recording artiste.

This dry as a bone piano render was then placed by magical reverb techniques first into eternity, before then relocating back on Earth in an empty Wembley Stadium.

--

THE RESULT

How does it sound ?

Pretty challenging for even the most staunch of Mrs Mills fans. You can get used to it though on repeat listens. The sound of the Mrs Mills piano as played by rotten trotters.

Magically though when mixed together with Tim's album it works in a mysterious way, the party drifting in and out of focus. In time sometimes, out of time at others.

The seriousness of Tim's work along side the party-party spirit of Gladys Mills. It's the dream combination we've all been waiting for.

Allowing what can be a solitary listening experience with Tim's work to become a group activity with friends.

v/vm is an artist I look up to as inspiration for my Cuntag/Cungag/Cussag/Cullag/Cungog shitcore project. 

I probably won't listen to this, but I enjoy the "concept" :D

Is this real? Is this just fantasy?

Hecker must have really rubbed James up the wrong way for him to make this (or V/Vm is actually Hello Spiral). Can't wait!

edit: oh it's available now! Bought

Yes!!!!! Oh lawd. Best press release in ages. And I am so happy to see a vvmtest Bandcamp.

Now I have to finally listen to Love Streams just to compare...

v/vm is an artist I look up to as inspiration for my Cuntag/Cungag/Cussag/Cullag/Cungog shitcore project.

I probably won't listen to this, but I enjoy the "concept" :D

You should listen.. regardless of the concept this is some good musics!

Rather than sounding like hecker it reminds me of brian enos ambient piano stuff but being played by a psychotic monkey (and I mean that in a good way!)

Is this real? Is this just fantasy?

Hecker must have really rubbed James up the wrong way for him to make this (or V/Vm is actually Hello Spiral). Can't wait!

edit: oh it's available now! Bought

I've actually had this for years

R-4640570-1370804839-8609.jpeg.jpg

:emotawesomepm9:

This is friccin AWESOME

In the weekly Boomkat newsletter is this cheeky extra bit of info too:

Loads of big hitters in this week, but V/Vm serve the K.O. with Between Nothingness and Eternity - the pioneering, subversive duo’s collision of Mrs Mills and Tim Hecker. You read that right. It’s a remarkably ridiculous and beguiling return after a 10 year hiatus, petrifying the coffee table to fulgurite with a lightening strike of genius. There is also a Nils Frahm edition, but only James V/Vm’s mum owns a copy, and she ain’t sharing. Only 300 copies for the world. Cin cin!

In the weekly Boomkat newsletter is this cheeky extra bit of info too:

Loads of big hitters in this week, but V/Vm serve the K.O. with Between Nothingness and Eternity - the pioneering, subversive duo’s collision of Mrs Mills and Tim Hecker. You read that right. It’s a remarkably ridiculous and beguiling return after a 10 year hiatus, petrifying the coffee table to fulgurite with a lightening strike of genius. There is also a Nils Frahm edition, but only James V/Vm’s mum owns a copy, and she ain’t sharing. Only 300 copies for the world. Cin cin!

Not 100% true, you can win one: http://thequietus.com/articles/21133-win-exclusive-v-vm-cd-limited-to-10-copies

That’s not all Kirby has been up to as V/Vm though as he has also applied a similar process to Hecker’s last album, only this time as if Nils Frahm had reworked it. However, only 10 CD copies of this have been produced - you can take a look at photographic evidence of its existence just below - and tQ is offering you the chance to get your hands on one of them via the competition below.

To those put off by V/Vm / concept: this is pretty nice to listen to, surprisingly (almost disappointingly?). Sounds like that one track Max Tundra did of pure pianos or the Gasman Hiding Place records. Funny and quite lush!

• 2 months later...

Anyone that bought this got the xmas album he emailed out? Some really good stuff on it and some funny xmas songs getting the v/vm treatment!

Very much Enjoyed having a drink to it on Christmas evening! Mr kirby is a hero

Archived