IGNORED

MNLTH - Laser 80

batch

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, tipping my hat to everyone of you who guessed that Rod Whitters is actually MNLTH. I've been thinking to myself that god, would love a Rod Whitters release and it seems that here it finally is. Ziberterai previously known as earlt tsaps:

Also other familiar moments here and there. Hopefully not a vinyl-only release....or then hopefully will be able to find some good rips.

That Q-Express fooled me a bit since it's a different mix of one of the Rod Whitters untitled tracks I ripped from the YT account. I thought I already had that MNLTH track in my library until I realized that it was actually an unreleased Whitters piece. AFAIK others seem to be the same versions heard before, apart from the first track which is new to me.

BTW OA mentioned on their facebook page that their releases will get a digital treatment at some point so there's hope. Or then Dave could include this to his bc (plz). Someone with facebook/twitter/tinder/whatever please ask.

YES! As said, these were all previously released on that Rod Whitters' YouTube account. I contacted Dave on Soundcloud some months ago asking if he was planning on releasing those beautiful tracks, but he never replied. This means way more than that reply I was waiting for! Thank you Dave

Q express was in the Charity Fundraiser Mix. As was Japan from the Time release among others. Very AFXish.

recognize a lot of these. dunno if more were in there or if they were jsut on his soundcloud. rinsed it too much tbh

One of the comments of the Rod Whitters "earlt tsaps" is "Clearly, Rod is a twin", and i think it sums up what many of us are trying to achieve musically : understand what makes Aphex music so mesmerizing, and become a "twin". Everytime a new artist who's got this special thing about his music, that remind us instantly of Aphex, we can say "is a twin" as he is a twin in spirit, and it fits perfectly with this constant musical reversed engineering all those electro artists are doing all the time, which is borderline cloning. In this period of near infinite information flow, we can see in real time how musical genres are born an instant, an how they are ridiculed the next, and how those ideas act like microbes, eating, exchanging and blending with each others. We are a stack of complex cells, following a strict programming, and one of the key command is "blend with each others", but a lot of other rules, and most commonly lazy programming (think No Man's Sky kind of lazy) are messing up the whole "humanity" task.

I like to imagine that Aphex music is a call to people who share the same vision and feelings of music of his, whatever their native language is, because it makes us feeling good to find someone who share the same feelings, because a human being has a reflecting mind by nature (i won't go deeper cause we'd have to debate about God or whatever religious bullshit).

It's like that for every artist, but i found that when it applies to instrumental music, it's even more fascinating and alien. Even more when you consider the "stack of cells" idea (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They%27re_Made_Out_of_Meat )

tl;dr = we are stacks of cells trying to communicate (with difficulty) with each others, and Monolith is an Aphex twin cell

Guest bitroast

why not just actually listen to aphex twin ?

Too late, Ive already melted down my copy of surfing on sinewaves to make a coffee table bowl/conversation piece:(

:psyduck: why would you do that !!! record players can still play bowls, right ?? 

I have absolutely caned the samples of this. On repeat. I cannot wait.

I dunno why monolith is so hit and miss for me, I'm not fussed about Trax at all and wasn't keen on Welcome.

This and all the photodementia stuff is fucking amazing though. Want it now!!

I have absolutely caned the samples of this. On repeat. I cannot wait.

I dunno why monolith is so hit and miss for me, I'm not fussed about Trax at all and wasn't keen on Welcome.

This and all the photodementia stuff is fucking amazing though. Want it now!!

Complete opposite for me. I was properly addicted to Welcome, and the Trax samples sound super good (I'll order it eventually, I swear!)

This (and the demo tape) aren't really blowing me away as much as those.

On a similar note, I also prefer Analord/The Tuss to SAW85-92/Polygon Window, so it's nothing against Dave's output, it's just me tastes.

• 1 month later...

Archived