IGNORED

The Future Sound of London - Dead Cities (2x 180g Vinyl Reissue)

Rubin Farr

As it was mixed to DAT, the CD is actually the more... (I'll stop). 

The LP edition does have extended intros and outros bookending the sides so I do give mine a spin once in a while as a curio. Trainspotters will be interested to note that the outro 'pig' environment to WHE from the CD turns up at the start of Everyone in the World on the LP too. So it's more interesting than the Lifeforms LP where the gaps between sides were just subtle crossfades on the CD.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:43 AM, thumbass said:

Dead Cities is by far the best FSOL album in existence. Not only that, it's also an IDM masterpiece. It's cinematic as fuck and it all sounds beautiful. Also LOL at the fucking cover of this album, it's hilariously bad but I don't mind it.

I buy their calendar every year because of how much I love their artwork.  It represents an era that can never be replicated.  Pushing art made on once high end PCs to an uncanny extreme, because it was impossible to avoid, due to hardware limitations.  The ones who embraced this made truly timeless imagery.  The cg stuff trying to look "real", from back then, mostly looks embarrassing now.  Lifeforms is my favorite album cover to this day.  I agree with you about Dead Cities, except its not my favorite, I like Environment Six or Accelerator the most.  Its so great that they are pretty active again, just wish fsoldigital wasn't so slow. Cheers!

15 hours ago, nature said:

Lifeforms is my favorite album cover to this day.

One of mine as well.

Fun fact: the girl on the cover went on to play for the Arsenal women's under-21 football team.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, Rotwang said:

One of mine as well.

Fun fact: the girl on the cover went on to play for the Arsenal women's under-21 football team.

Very cool.  I love finding out little things like that.  For instance, some of the female vocals on Lifeforms are done by Elizabeth Fraser from Cocteau Twins, a band I've loved for ages.  Connections like that are neat to me.

• 1 year later...
  • Rubin Farr changed the title to The Future Sound of London - Dead Cities (2x 180g Vinyl Reissue)
21 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Double vinyl reissue confirmed for April, 2021. Possibly RSD

Awesome. Where's the announcement? Also, I believe RSD 2021 is delayed to June this year.

Edited by brisk

Yeah, think the band and Universal are a bit miffed it's got out ahead of any official announcement.

30 minutes ago, paranoid-666 said:

I want a cd reissue with extras.

Me too! I'm not sure how likely one is at this point, given how much stuff has come out on the From the Archives series. I have a Dead Cities II playlist from those tracks: 

The Empty Land
A Corner
Exploded Funk
Dream One
Abandoned Housing Blocks of Prypiat
Insides
Mango Tree
War Machines
Switzerland
Yashica
Tif Feetal
Unassumed