IGNORED

1991 - No More Dreams

fumi

CkJY7vSr.jpg

No More Dreams kick off with a startling return from the lesser seen 1991, his first new material in four years! Perfectly capturing the blissful space between The Skaters Wind Drapeing Incense, the long haul flight sedation of Huerco S. and the crunchy ambient techno fuzz of Shinichi Atobe.

When 1991 debuted back in 2012 on Astro:Dynamics with a marbled sound of ghostly / spectral reductions of the modern house and techno stylings, it was an instantly refreshing viewpoint into a sound that was needing a shake up. The sounds predated the forthcoming wave of ambient electronica and 'knackered house' that swept record racks and pressing plants in the coming years (for further reading check Joe Muggs' brilliant Fact piece 'Return to the chill-out room' from 2014).

Fast forward to 2016, and to make a house or techno record that sounds like it's had a coin dragged across the grooves to make it sound, for want of a better word 'retro' has become somewhat of the norm. So the rearrival of 1991 is something that is gonna turn a lot of heads and brighten up the post-club (if any are left open at the time of reading this) living rooms of many a start at 7 am party.

Composed of seven tracks that stick to a similar path, the music does not so much demand attention as quietly float in the background. Slowly evolving into beautifully well constructed audio puzzles that seem to endlessly complete themselves over and over in nautical loops. While they don't go too far in any one direction, the simplicity in their craft create the albums most attractive feature.

Much like his name, the music of 1991 harks back to times of old, seeping into our collective conscious to recall memories of the golden age of ambient dance music, simpler times of pre-genre musical explosions when everything melded together, but perhaps the title alone alludes to the downfall in such nostalgia; No More Dreams. Anyway all that aside, it's great to have 1991 back, always different, always the same.

ordered - it's on boomkat, juno, etc as well FYI

also on spotify! but interestingly under another 1991 page/artist profile

listening now

Kind of eerie how we were only just talking about 1991 the other day and suddenly he drops a new album after four years.

ordered - it's on boomkat, juno, etc as well FYI

also on spotify! but interestingly under another 1991 page/artist profile

listening now

Kind of eerie how we were only just talking about 1991 the other day and suddenly he drops a new album after four years.

I know! Lovely coincidence...unless he lurks here.

I think he sat on it for awhile, I would figure labels would have been hitting him up in the meantime...looks like a self-release with the benefit of physical distro, so like one of those personal label imprint deals. He put out his 12" of High-Tech High-Life on Boomkat.

snatched a couple of good tracks from bleep. wanted to love the entire thing, but after two tracks (3 and 4), i hate to say it, the idea is clear. nothing more to add. good atmosphere though! really good.

snatched a couple of good tracks from bleep. wanted to love the entire thing, but after two tracks (3 and 4), i hate to say it, the idea is clear. nothing more to add. good atmosphere though! really good.

The last two tracks harken to his first releases, some percussion and sampled stuff creeps in the mix. This much less diverse sounding album though compared to his debut and H/T H/L

1991 is one of those artists where ive consistently returned to his previous tunes, but for some reason didnt even consider why he wasn't releasing new ones.  Not sure what that is all about, but his music hits close to home for me, prob has dat x factor since i was born in the '91.. Anyways, now im mad excited for more.

If its anything like his previous releases ill look to get it on cassette, clearly the choice format here.

Edited by Marked x 0ne

Had maybe eight or nine listens to this now. I think it is just as varied as his previous album but that's not apparent on first listen. I think there is only one track (5) that I don't like much. The rest is excellent. The second track is just outstanding, building that awesome loop loads of strange noise while that ethereal melody rolls around in the background. Third track is his trademark sound. Can't get enough of that. Track 6 is my other real favourite - that clattering, unstable drum track evoking long faded 90s techno grooves. Great stuff.

Love the artwork too. Although his debut album reigns supreme in that respect.

No More Dreams VI sounds like the kind of thing you would hear soundtracking a tense scene in a made-for-TV cop thriller playing on some late-night cable channel in the early 90s.

Maybe the delayed release was due to label complications, i thought he was doing the album for astro:dynamics but maybe he opted to do it himself in the end, unless there is more to come :)

Been a big fan since the first two releases, very happy to have them on vinyl. High tech high life is a favourite, cant wait to get my hands on this.. Going to hold out from listening to anything until it arrives