IGNORED

Aphex selling one of his Korg PS-3300s

pingpongpete1

someone will probably buy it...  it's top end of the price spectrum i think though. 

someone will buy it and make a EP with it they, which they will promo faux casually

"yeah just wrote some tunes with this analog Korg, it's so much more enriching than MIDI DAWs and OH BTW APHEX TWIN TOTALLY OWNED THIS"

That was me (Solvent) that made the EP using AFX's CS-5. I don't know why it is that the place I received the most flack for this record is on an AFX fan forum. There was a whole thread of people on here dissing it. I'm an AFX fan and making that record was an expression of that.  If I'd meant it as a marketing ploy, it didn't seem to help much as I pressed 300 copies of that 12" and still have some left several years later. Actually compared to this PS-3300 synth, which Richard only owned, the CS5 is really something more historically significant on account of the SAW2 connection. My friend who owns it doesn't make tracks and I thought it would be cool to make music on a synth that would typically end up behind glass in someone's collection. Here's a little something I wrote about this for a studio piece on me for Attack Mag:

http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/my-studio/solvent/

"This doesn’t belong to me, but I borrowed it a few years ago to make an EP with, and the owner doesn’t seem to be in a rush to get it back, so I still have it. It’s a Yamaha CS-5  which used to belong to Aphex Twin; he etched the liner notes to Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 into the bottom of it, and he took a photo of that which is the actual liner notes you see on the record. My friend got it from a Vemia auction for less than $2,000, which is a bargain in my opinion. In my books this is a piece of substantial historical significance in electronic music, so it’s pretty crazy that it’s just sitting here in my studio. I did end up using it to make a release, which came out a couple of years ago, and which I made with nothing more than this single synth, multi-tracked. I actually caught quite a bit of flack for that release, with some people saying it was some creepy marketing ploy. Fair enough, but for me it was just a simple homage to an artist who I respect immensely, and I also liked the idea of a historical instrument being used to create music instead of sitting behind glass in a museum."

7-APHEX-TWIN-CS5-856x460.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Solvent, that's legit. People just like being assholes on here. Venetian Snares used to get so much hate on WATMM, but it turns out that there's a huge portion of WATMM that are Snares fans. Maybe peeps just thought they could do a better job with Richard's gear/were jealous that you got to touch something He touched. Alternatively, it could have just been reactionary since there is some creepy AFX stalking on here (like the pillow spotting in this thread!) and there are watmmers that hate the AFX forum and AFX worship (the Autechre contingent)

firs2-3 pages of this thread remind me of the old watmm. good thread, would nostalgic again

It went well right until this post! Thanks alot, thread commentator! Looks like you're keeping the good old art of thread commentatorship in business.

Lets go meta on the bitch.

LORD META HAS SPOKEN

firs2-3 pages of this thread remind me of the old watmm. good thread, would nostalgic again

It went well right until this post! Thanks alot, thread commentator! Looks like you're keeping the good old art of thread commentatorship in business.

Lets go meta on the bitch.

LORD META HAS SPOKEN

wut. idgaf

• 2 weeks later...

Archived