IGNORED

Eno - Reflection

beerwolf

The standard release (CD, Vinyl, Download etc) is just basically Eno starting the app and at some unspecified point in time pressing record on his equipment and then 54 mins late pressing stop. It's just a snapshot of what the app was generating during that time.

I dunno if there will be Android stuff. Has he made any apps available on the platform in the past?

Actually, Eno doesn't handle all the software anyway. That's Peter Chilvers.

He mentioned somewhere, I think it was http://flaunt.com/people/brian-eno/, that there’s actually a splice in there.

I dunno, I get the hate for over-intellectualized stuff, but I don’t ever feel that way about the stuff Eno talks about. If anything, he’s always refreshingly down-to-earth and unpretentious about his working process. I remember a few years back when he was talking a lot about the physical humanist experience of singing and how it really rung his bell to sing poorly in a choir. Really refreshing perspective, if you ask me.

Perhaps it’s the fanboy talking, but that’s even the context in which I take his latest albums’s sound palettes. Granted, this or Lux don’t have quite the otherworldly lushness of say, On Land, to the synth patches, but I think that’s just Eno’s desire to be workmanlike and practical about things. He’s mentioned a bunch how he likes ordinary consumer gear these days. I think there’s charm in that, in not being too precious.

I mean, the old stuff sounds amazing too. But there’s a certain element of beard-strokage appreciating to OMG HALF-INCH TAPE DX7 TONESSSSS that seems to go against his democratic approach these days, I feel. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The standard release (CD, Vinyl, Download etc) is just basically Eno starting the app and at some unspecified point in time pressing record on his equipment and then 54 mins late pressing stop. It's just a snapshot of what the app was generating during that time.

I dunno if there will be Android stuff. Has he made any apps available on the platform in the past?

Actually, Eno doesn't handle all the software anyway. That's Peter Chilvers.

He mentioned somewhere, I think it was http://flaunt.com/people/brian-eno/, that there’s actually a splice in there.

I dunno, I get the hate for over-intellectualized stuff, but I don’t ever feel that way about the stuff Eno talks about. If anything, he’s always refreshingly down-to-earth and unpretentious about his working process. I remember a few years back when he was talking a lot about the physical humanist experience of singing and how it really rung his bell to sing poorly in a choir. Really refreshing perspective, if you ask me.

Perhaps it’s the fanboy talking, but that’s even the context in which I take his latest albums’s sound palettes. Granted, this or Lux don’t have quite the otherworldly lushness of say, On Land, to the synth patches, but I think that’s just Eno’s desire to be workmanlike and practical about things. He’s mentioned a bunch how he likes ordinary consumer gear these days. I think there’s charm in that, in not being too precious.

I mean, the old stuff sounds amazing too. But there’s a certain element of beard-strokage appreciating to OMG HALF-INCH TAPE DX7 TONESSSSS that seems to go against his democratic approach these days, I feel.

Thanks for the flaunt article. Very interesting. Hadn't read that one.

It is truly generative.

I’m finding it difficult to understand how the app makes ‘generative music’, it’s discussed like a black box in the press releases and interviews. Are you able to give an explanation or link to something that I can read online that explains how the algorithms implemented in the app produce 'generative music'? 

App updated.

This version includes a sleep timer and an icon that allows you to route audio to Airplay and Bluetooth speakers without leaving the app. Access these by tapping on the screen during playback.

The display now shows a wider range of colours, and a bug which on are occasions caused the images to stop changing has been fixed. 

Can this app just run on a Mac laptop?

There's an Apple TV version too, which is probably not going to be much help. But in the unlikely event you own one, you can have a 24 hour Eno channel on your television.

I remember going to a record store last year and was delighted to find Bowie just released à new record, that was 2 days before he passed away. Since then, i do like Eno's generative output even more : i just love the fact that there will be new or unreleased versions of his works, for years and years.

I remember going to a record store last year and was delighted to find Bowie just released à new record, that was 2 days before he passed away. Since then, i do like Eno's generative output even more : i just love the fact that there will be new or unreleased versions of his works, for years and years.

While that's true - new or unreleased works (in generative form) are so alike from one hour to the next, they suffer over linger periods. The thing I don't like much about the new album is that he uses such a small palette of sounds, there just isn't that much variation. I love ambient music and must have listened to hundreds of different works over the years but I find Reflection really boring after around eight or nine continuous hours.

In addition, I don't find his sounds really attractive over a period of time but I know others on here quite like the Koan sound.

Indeed, i do like those Koan sounds but yeah if Eno could make generative works as detailed/produced as Thursday Afternoon, that would be like the second coming of Christ..

We can dream...

Not sure if you've seem the film Southern Comfort? maybe nowadays its a bit dated but because I watched it eons ago it's always been a favorite film of mine. I always loved the main soundtrack theme to this composed by Ry Cooder, which is of course mainly slide/bottle neck guitar.  Reflection really, really reminds me of this, its like a epically long alternative electronic version. I can see why he called this Reflection.

It's impossible for me not to love this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those people who bought the app have a nice surprise when they update through the app store today. You get four new pieces of generative music (all named after his daughters) each at 15 mins 13 secs. You get a download link and they are mp3 quality.

• 2 months later...

Archived