IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

i use my eventide space on everything. im actually considering picking up a second one to have as a permanent send channel on ableton, aswell as the one my modular constantly runs though. 

IMO diversity and flexibility of reverbs is more important than individual quality. Yes, a good quality reverb is a great resource, but using the right reverb for the right job (and having a large amount of diverse reverbs to choose from) is more important in my experience.

I'll stand by the Behringer Virtualizer Pro for reverb, it is super ridiculously lush.

I quite like the Midiverb III too. 90s rack reverbs are really my kinda thing :D

A local guitar shop had a Virtualizer Pro out for $40 a few years ago and I've been kicking myself for not getting it ever since.

I also love 90s rack reverb, partly for the sound and partly because they're still really underpriced (which is probably the most important feature really, since I don't usually have the money to throw around on fancy crap like I did last winter).  Last one I got was the Boss RV-70 and for how cheap they are (I forget exactly what mine was but it was almost new in the original packaging and it was in the $30-$50 range AFTER shipping, I think the eBay price was around $28, about the same as what I paid for The Wedge).  If you like 90s digital I think you'd like it, and even though on the surface it's mostly a preset box with a handful of adjustable parameters, sysex editing is DEEP (deep enough that I haven't really taken the time to do much of it yet, to be honest).  And it's early-mid 90s Roland reverb algorithms so if you've ever used any of the Roland ROMplers from that period you can make a pretty good guess what they sound like. 

IMO diversity and flexibility of reverbs is more important than individual quality. Yes, a good quality reverb is a great resource, but using the right reverb for the right job (and having a large amount of diverse reverbs to choose from) is more important in my experience.

I like to have one or two standby reverbs (right now BAM in hardware and VVV in software) that almost everything in a mix will get at least a tiny amount of t glue things together, and then a whole lot of (mostly cheap or unnatural sounding) other options for individual tracks.

RAS

Reverb Acquisition Syndrome

Reverb is truly an incredible tool for sound. It's embedded in our DNA~!

+1

Question for the class. Favourite reverb hardware? I've used a Strymon blue sky for a bit but sold it. Looking back that was a grave error.

Waaat... Somehow I felt Strymon (and I suppose neunaber immerse ting) pedal users were life users, but I guess not.

Software convolution reverbs are nutz, so that's my favorite type. Only hardware I've owned are current Behringer RV600 pedal (great bang for buck), and a Digitech rack unit like 15+ years ago (which had a few lush presets). Back then, I really wanted a TC Electronic M-One, which sounded luuush...

It seems like technology is so hardcore now, that any reverb hardware is good. And then it's like, even the most "digital sounding" 90's reverbs are cool, so I suppose... -Is it possible that NO reverb unit or effect is bad?!

Yeah, I think I sold it to buy a synth or something, can't remember. Big mistake, was extremely lush. 

I agree with software convolution reverbs. The Ableton ones are wicked. lol, it probably is harder nowadays to find a bad reverb or effect! 

there's THIS one too

9635080_800.jpg

I've got one, not sure which version because an ex Akai/Alesis/Numark guy I know liberated it from tech support and it had been rehoused with parts they had lying around, so the face plate is actually from a Nanobass, but whichever one it its's a great little 90s-sounding reverb and I think they're completely underrated.  I'd love a Microverb I some day but they are getting too expensive.

RAS

Reverb Acquisition Syndrome

Reverb is truly an incredible tool for sound. It's embedded in our DNA~!

+1

Question for the class. Favourite reverb hardware? I've used a Strymon blue sky for a bit but sold it. Looking back that was a grave error.

Waaat... Somehow I felt Strymon (and I suppose neunaber immerse ting) pedal users were life users, but I guess not.

Software convolution reverbs are nutz, so that's my favorite type. Only hardware I've owned are current Behringer RV600 pedal (great bang for buck), and a Digitech rack unit like 15+ years ago (which had a few lush presets). Back then, I really wanted a TC Electronic M-One, which sounded luuush...

It seems like technology is so hardcore now, that any reverb hardware is good. And then it's like, even the most "digital sounding" 90's reverbs are cool, so I suppose... -Is it possible that NO reverb unit or effect is bad?!

Yeah, I think I sold it to buy a synth or something, can't remember. Big mistake, was extremely lush. 

I agree with software convolution reverbs. The Ableton ones are wicked. lol, it probably is harder nowadays to find a bad reverb or effect! 

Only problem with convolution is that it doesn't capture dynamic or time varying changes so they're not that good for replicating DSP reverbs.  Fantastic for acoustic spaces though, as long as you're not trying to simulate sound sources coming from different positions in the same space.

Melda Multiband Convolution is pretty fantastic but for some reason I never find myself using it anymore, I'm actually on a big DSP reverb kick these days, and when I use convolution it's mostly for weird, non-reverb sound design stuff.

Every bigsky demo I've heard was very underwhelming to me.

Same here but I tend to favor darker sounding reverbs that are more like a foggy swamp a half hour before sunrise.  The Big Sky seems to be very well named, and it sound just isn't the sort I gravitate to.  I pretty much always lowpass the input of every reverb I use all the way down below 10k before it starts to sound right to me.

Same here but I tend to favor darker sounding reverbs that are more like a foggy swamp a half hour before sunrise. The Big Sky seems to be very well named, and it sound just isn't the sort I gravitate to. I pretty much always lowpass the input of every reverb I use all the way down below 10k before it starts to sound right to me.

Yeah it sounds like we have similar taste in verbs.

Same here but I tend to favor darker sounding reverbs that are more like a foggy swamp a half hour before sunrise. The Big Sky seems to be very well named, and it sound just isn't the sort I gravitate to. I pretty much always lowpass the input of every reverb I use all the way down below 10k before it starts to sound right to me.

Yeah it sounds like we have similar taste in verbs.

Yeah, enough people swear by the Strymon that I assume it's probably quite good, it's just really good at doing something that doesn't really do much for me.

Most of the settings on the big sky weren't that interesting but the hall and cloud reverbs were dope. Was my 1st reverb box with my 1st synth (101) and I was making pads with it  :cool:

there's THIS one too

9635080_800.jpg

I've got one, not sure which version because an ex Akai/Alesis/Numark guy I know liberated it from tech support and it had been rehoused with parts they had lying around, so the face plate is actually from a Nanobass, but whichever one it its's a great little 90s-sounding reverb and I think they're completely underrated.  I'd love a Microverb I some day but they are getting too expensive.

yes, i'm looking something this small for carrying it around with me.

so, so far i'm thinking about 

Alesis Nanoverb 2

TC Electronics M100 (is this thing new-new? can't find reviews...)

Boss SE-70

Boss RRV-10

any additional thougts? 

Edited by xox

I like to have one or two standby reverbs (right now BAM in hardware and VVV in software) that almost everything in a mix will get at least a tiny amount of t glue things together, and then a whole lot of (mostly cheap or unnatural sounding) other options for individual tracks.

Yeah, I tend to throw an Ableton reverb towards the end of the line, but often don't mix it fully across everything, depending on the track. I've been putting some shitty Alesis mixer reverb over drums lately, along with feeding various things through my Quadraverb. 

A friend of mine has the Big Sky which is often too much for my tastes, though it is a quality reverb no doubt. He also got this Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run pedal recently and it is much more pleasing to my ears. Very interesting pedal. If it had MIDI control, I'd have already bought one. Someone here or on Gearslutz was talking about the Zoom MS-70CDR and I looked it up the other day, seems like a solid pedal for the money. I've been a long time fan of Zoom though, so I may be a touch biased towards their sound.

there's THIS one too

9635080_800.jpg

yes, i'm looking something this small for carrying it around with me.

so, so far i'm thinking about 

Alesis Nanoverb 2

TC Electronics M100 (is this thing new-new? can't find reviews...)

Boss SE-70

Boss RRV-10

any additional thougts? 

Never tried an SE-70 but I got an SE50 a long time ago and I like it a lot.  The reverbs aren't its strongest point though.

Never tried the RRV-10 either but I've got the SDD-10 from the same series and it's pretty great. one of the most analog-like digital delays I've ever used, new or old.

Yeah, I tend to throw an Ableton reverb towards the end of the line, but often don't mix it fully across everything, depending on the track. I've been putting some shitty Alesis mixer reverb over drums lately, along with feeding various things through my Quadraverb. 

A friend of mine has the Big Sky which is often too much for my tastes, though it is a quality reverb no doubt. He also got this Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run pedal recently and it is much more pleasing to my ears. Very interesting pedal. If it had MIDI control, I'd have already bought one. Someone here or on Gearslutz was talking about the Zoom MS-70CDR and I looked it up the other day, seems like a solid pedal for the money. I've been a long time fan of Zoom though, so I may be a touch biased towards their sound.

I have that Zoom but haven't used it with a synth yet. The things that suck about it are that tweaking parameters is kind of a pain and I don't think it is true bypass. The only way I can figure to bypass effects is to hold the pedal for a few seconds to get to the tuner section. Still, your going through a buffer. 

On the other hand, I have never seen a single pedal that gives you so many opportunities to mess with sound. You can stack up to 6 effects on top of each other, so I imagine you can get some insanely gnarly sounds out of it. It can get my guitar sounding brown as fuck. 

Edited by Auditor

Guest Chesney

for the first 5ish years of my current project I never had a computer, I used a Zoom MRS1608 and it was wicked. Lots and lots of limitation but it was really fun. A few people I knew who were into recording, had studio's commented on how good the effects sounded on my stuff especially the reverb and were surprised when I told them. They were actually surprisingly good especially now in hindsight after changing to logic and being far from impressed by the effects and having tried many effects units since.

Edited by Chesney

for the first 5ish years of my current project I never had a computer, I used a Zoom MRS1608 and it was wicked. Lots and lots of limitation but it was really fun. A few people I knew who were into recording, had studio's commented on how good the effects sounded on my stuff especially the reverb and were surprised when I told them. They were actually surprisingly good especially now in hindsight after changing to logic and being far from impressed by the effects and having tried many effects units since.

Haven't really messed with their digital stuff but Zoom's short lived line of analog guitar pedals was fantastic (at least the ones I've tried).  I've had this one since the mid 2000s and it sounds great on everything I've put through it.  I think they're generally an underrated company because of their reputation for budget multifx pedals.

Edited by RSP

Haven't really messed with their digital stuff but Zoom's short lived line of analog guitar pedals was fantastic (at least the ones I've tried).  I've had this one since the mid 2000s and it sounds great on everything I've put through it.  I think they're generally an underrated company because of their reputation for budget multifx pedals.

I've got the PD, UF, and TM, though I never picked up the Hyper Lead (one day I'll complete the set!) and love them all for varying reasons. PD you've got is the best of the bunch no doubt, TM and UF can get fucking wild though. I've had a few of their multifx pedals that were often spotty and build quality was usually shit, but all had some bits of magic in them.