IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

the heat, mfc42 and filterbak are all great but all of them are waaaay above my budget, even used ones, so i can forget about those :(

anybody has experience with any of these units?

I just bought the Waldorf. In my brief time messing with it so far I've been pretty impressed with the range of sounds I can get. The overdrive is quite intense. Only thing is the knobs seem a bit flimsy and I'm hoping that won't become a problem with large amounts of use.

yes, i thought about it too. even on yt videos you can see how flimsy the knobs are. wtf waldorf?! ...much prefer the knobs of the epsilon and filter lancet

Ordered a MPK Mini mk2 today to feed the GAS and fever dreams of building a laptop-less noise/ambient/looping/whatever Pure Data and Raspberry Pi experiment to couple with the Koma Field Kit. The puzzle is almost complete.. if only there was some way to feed Eurorack style CV into some USB interface and back out, making it possible for the Raspberry Pi to act as a makeshift module. I know there's the Expert Sleepers and OWL Modular modules, but they're way too expensive and I'm not prepared to actually buy a modular case outright, that would blow my cover of "unintentionally" sliding down the slippery slope of a modular addiction.*

If there's no easy and cheap way to get CV into a Raspberry Pi, I guess I'll have to settle for some small USB audio interface with at least 4in4out so there's a way to use the Pi as an effects module too.

* note that I haven't actually recorded anything using the Pi yet

You'll be limited to mono pretty much. Unless you find a Jomox T resontator.

yes, i know...i was plannig to either use it on separate outs of md&mnm, on a stereo out with an y cabel or on a prefader mixer aux.

stereo would be great but does the t resonator distort like the epsilon, 2-pole and lancet do?

Edited by xox

Eh t-res distorts pretty hard but i'd say more in overdrive-to-death fashion — you can burn/blow speakers pretty easily with it. So don't expect that watery organic rippling fuzzy distortion of Sherman.

It also doesn't pass anything above ~16kHz. Speaking of mkI it also really noisy.
I have it on send channel and routed back through stereo-group on my mackie cr1604vlz to control noisiness.

Anyways i love mine to bits.

Elektron Heat is amazing. The sherman is mindblowing and WAS really popular. Still very relevant.

think i may nick myself a heat if they do any discounts this holiday season

the heat, mfc42 and filterbak are all great but all of them are waaaay above my budget, even used ones, so i can forget about those :(

I just bought the Waldorf. In my brief time messing with it so far I've been pretty impressed with the range of sounds I can get. The overdrive is quite intense. Only thing is the knobs seem a bit flimsy and I'm hoping that won't become a problem with large amounts of use.

yes, i thought about it too. even on yt videos you can see how flimsy the knobs are. wtf waldorf?! ...much prefer the knobs of the epsilon and filter lancet

The knobs on my 2-pole are perfectly fine. Wouldn't describe them as flimsy at all.

Wow, I just checked MFC42 prices.  I knew they'd gone up but I didn't realize they'd gone up that far.

Edited by RSP

Ordered a MPK Mini mk2 today to feed the GAS and fever dreams of building a laptop-less noise/ambient/looping/whatever Pure Data and Raspberry Pi experiment to couple with the Koma Field Kit. The puzzle is almost complete.. if only there was some way to feed Eurorack style CV into some USB interface and back out, making it possible for the Raspberry Pi to act as a makeshift module. I know there's the Expert Sleepers and OWL Modular modules, but they're way too expensive and I'm not prepared to actually buy a modular case outright, that would blow my cover of "unintentionally" sliding down the slippery slope of a modular addiction.*

If there's no easy and cheap way to get CV into a Raspberry Pi, I guess I'll have to settle for some small USB audio interface with at least 4in4out so there's a way to use the Pi as an effects module too.

* note that I haven't actually recorded anything using the Pi yet

If you're willing to switch platforms and can do some DIY, people have already mostly worked out CV i/o for the Axoloti.

Anyone mentioned electrix filter factory yet btw? They seem nice enough, some cv control and an lfo, and can be had for around 200,- second hand round these here parts.

Anyone mentioned electrix filter factory yet btw? They seem nice enough, some cv control and an lfo, and can be had for around 200,- second hand round these here parts.

That's crazy, I swear a few years ago the typical price of the MFC42 and Filter Factory were the opposite of what they are now.  I've never used one but I hear good things, and the Electrix Warp Factory I got a few years back is really solidly built.

based on youtube demostrations distortion (the buzz section) is quite weak on that unit

and it's ugly :)

Edited by xox

Good to know.  I had a friend who swore by his Electrix Filter Queen but I've never really messed with them.  I've always enjoyed the Warp Factory for sound design weirdness that doesn't sound like conventional vocoder but that's the full extent of my Electrix experience.

"bland and tame with weak distortion" is pretty much how I've always heard the MFC42 described for years, too, although I love mine.

this is one of two, kind of interesting, videos on yt about the 2-pole; i've posted the other one earlier....

i can't find non of such videos that demostrate the vermona filter lancet or the retroverb. i'm wondering if vermona units can do things like the 2-pole in this video:

If you're willing to switch platforms and can do some DIY, people have already mostly worked out CV i/o for the Axoloti.

Thanks for this! Another reason why I should have done an ounce of more research before I got the Pi, because the Axoloti is actually very much what I initially wanted.

Not so keen on DIY yet, I did build a Doepfer PE, but there's something glitchy going on with one of the pots, it keeps sending midi without me touching anything and I can't figure out what's wrong. I totally want to build a Kastle or something like that in the future though.

Edited by thawkins

i highly recommend the 2pole. for the price you can't beat it. it does so much.

Damn I kind of blew that off and figured I'd get a Heat used someday, but that thing is looking great. That caveman interface with the big chunky knobs is really alluring.  

yes, i know... right now my decision is to buy the geiger counter AND the 2-pole. i believe they could pair well

p.s. didn't you said that you have a broken 2-pole? you know that stefan betke made a complete career based on a broken waldorf fiter, right? ...although, his was a 4-pole...;)

I really have to finally focus on learning more about electronics this fall and build some filters.

you should do it man! there's a million stupid efx out there but very few interesting ones, especially filters. i would too but i'm too busy with other things atm

Edited by xox

The knobs on my 2-pole are perfectly fine. Wouldn't describe them as flimsy at all.

Hmmmm.  A lot of mine - especially the main cut off - can move a good 1-2mm in all directions, even without turning them.  I'm amazed they are not more sturdy, considering it's brand new.

yes, i know... right now my decision is to buy the geiger counter AND the 2-pole. i believe they could pair well

The more I play with mine, the more I love it.  Just buy it  :biggrin:

p.s. didn't you said that you have a broken 2-pole? you know that stefan betke made a complete career based on a broken waldorf fiter, right? ...although, his was a 4-pole...;)

I really have to finally focus on learning more about electronics this fall and build some filters.

you should do it man! there's a million stupid efx out there but very few interesting ones, especially filters. i would too but i'm too busy with other things atm

Well, I can't promise they'd be interesting.