IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

The best stuff I made was with a mopho, a record player and an ancient computer with audacity. Then with no computer, an alesis MMT-8/HR-16, Mopho and a junk mixer with some WET reverb. built in. When I started to splurge on some nice stuff (DSI Pro2, Gotharman LD2, Tr-606, DX7IIfd, Yamaha CS-50) I had a lot of fun but my tracks were less composed and thought out. Satisfying my GAS was fun but I must say I prefer a limited setup. 

Yeah i did tracks with Mopho only.Its real fun to make a track with only one synth sometimes.

BUT

CS-50??? YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!

My friend has one,and i played on it.

Magic synth.That after touch is godly.

Edited by fxbip

I never really "got" aftertouch. I feel like it's a bit of a gimmick most of the time.. and I have a hard enough time playing with consistent velocity..

Having said that, the only two synths I have that include aftertouch in the keyboard are the JX8P (it's a bit dodgy so you have to press really hard) and the SY22 (keys are fragile so I'm worried I'd break them if I push them too hard). 

Guest Chesney

Playing properly with aftertouch is a crazy skill and to be honest is a bit cheesy in reality. But if you play more abstract with a synth that you can map the aftertouch to any parameter you can do insane things with it. Polyphonic aftertouch makes this insanely more dynamic. In the same way the difference between paraphonic (single env and filter) to true analogue poly (env and filter per voice) where the envelopes trigger every key press, normal aftertouch only affects with a single push of key pressure. Imagine poly aftertouch routed to a wavetable so each key pressed and pushed at different times and degrees will cause a melee of multiple scans of the wavetable. Cacaphony probably.

True. I've found aftertouch tends to act more as an "on or off" kind of thing, rather than continuous pressure. The SY22 seems to be sensitive to varying degrees of pressure, but perhaps the aftertouch strip needs a clean, since it's only a very small window of pressure that actually affects the level of whatever is assigned..

I'm a GAS-having loser lol. I know I should be spending my money on a new interface (I'm thinking k-mix just because it's a mixer and multitrack interface in one) but keep looking at volca fm/volca kick/reface dx/reface cs/secondhand cs01 prices and thinking "hmm".. I had some stupid idea in mind that I needed another portable synth to replace the OP-1 I sold last year, but I keep forgetting about the Circuit I have sitting in my studio doing nothing, lol. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy the damn k-mix so I can't afford anything else..

Guest bitroast

I'm a GAS-having loser lol. I know I should be spending my money on a new interface (I'm thinking k-mix just because it's a mixer and multitrack interface in one) but keep looking at volca fm/volca kick/reface dx/reface cs/secondhand cs01 prices and thinking "hmm".. I had some stupid idea in mind that I needed another portable synth to replace the OP-1 I sold last year, but I keep forgetting about the Circuit I have sitting in my studio doing nothing, lol. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy the damn k-mix so I can't afford anything else..

good idea !

do you need the interface ?

I don't *need* it—in fact, it's pushing me to learn how to mix my elektron-only tracks without any external mixing—but it would be nice to be able to multitrack my improvisation sessions for later editing.

Perhaps I'll just put some money aside this month and then use the money from a gig I'm playing next month to buy the k-mix.. and also get the volca lol

Just bit the bullet and got the reface dx. It's nice :D

I'm tempted to sell my other minikey controller (yamaha cbx-k1) but I actually really love the colour of it (imac transparent teal!) so will probably hold on to it. I'll probably sell my big 61-key controller though, since it's essentially been made obsolete by the SY22..

I'm done buying gear (other than parts to finish a few things I'm building) for the forseeable future

Bold words, my friend, bold words

Well I did get a DR660 since that post but it doesn't count because my first drum machine was a 660 back in the day and I always regretted trading it for a C64 back in the mid 00s, so that was more of a replacement than an acquisition.  Also the price was good because the encoder needed cleaning.  Totally doesn't count.

EDIT: also an MC-303 but that doesn't count because it was completely free and it's an MC-303.

Edited by RSP

I'm done buying gear (other than parts to finish a few things I'm building) for the forseeable future

Bold words, my friend, bold words

Well I did get a DR660 since that post but it doesn't count because my first drum machine was a 660 back in the day and I always regretted trading it for a C64 back in the mid 00s, so that was more of a replacement than an acquisition.  Also the price was good because the encoder needed cleaning.  Totally doesn't count.

EDIT: also an MC-303 but that doesn't count because it was completely free and it's an MC-303.

lol

i thought i was done after getting nanoloop mono but i ordered the new pocket operator (po-32) and still have a huge boner over the op-z and will probably get one as soon as they drop. 

i'll also probably drop a bill on the roland go mixer since those seem fun for being really vain. 

lol interestingly this week I've been getting back into nanoloop and thinking maybe I should get rid of a bunch of gear because I've made so much more cool sounding music/sound with nanoloop than I have with any of my other gear :/

might change next week though :P

lol interestingly this week I've been getting back into nanoloop and thinking maybe I should get rid of a bunch of gear because I've made so much more cool sounding music/sound with nanoloop than I have with any of my other gear :/

might change next week though :P

right? i kinda did the same thing but with my pocket operators >_<

50% of the time i'm just thinking about selling all my hardware and just getting back in the box because it was so much easier to be productive.

but...

toys...

-_-

lol, speaking of which, I was listening to pan sonic on the way to work and thought maybe I should pull out the ES-1 again for some 0F.digital weirdness

lol, speaking of which, I was listening to pan sonic on the way to work and thought maybe I should pull out the ES-1 again for some 0F.digital weirdness

Where did you hear this Pan Sonic interview or whatever it was?

Where did you hear this Pan Sonic interview or whatever it was?
lol no I was listening to one of their albums and remembered that they use electribes