IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Okay, let's shake on it.

I keep getting gas for a nice digital delay like the space, timeline or oto bim but every time after a while I think "fuck it, I've got soundtoys there's plenty of nice delays there" and then it starts all over again. There must be a special layer in hell where you just have circular gas.

don't sleep on Fabfilter's timeless 2. The modulation capabilities are superb: step-sequencer to modulate dry/wet, another step-sequencer to modulate where in the cycle that first step-sequencer begins. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many of these step-sequencer lfos you can stack. quasi - generative results abound! Yowza!

Volca beats is analogue and digital, a bit shit unless you’re a really good producer.

Volca drum is digital, sounds better from the demos. Haven’t tried it yet.

The main thing that's shit about the volca beats is the control of the voice levels. Pretty much everything about it sucks, which is pretty hobbling for a drum machine. The analog voices themselves aren't bad, the sequencer is fun, and the stutter effect is neat. Either sample it and normalize it, or control the levels with MIDI and warm up the output like a frozen White Castle burger.

When I had a Volca Beats I noticed the levels were actually pretty well balanced if you were using the little internal speaker, and I kind of suspect they voiced it with that in mind.

have a volca kick sitting to side collecting dust. wouldn't half mind the volca drum to sync the 2 up and have a midi drum setup to play with. maybe i'll grab one when it appears 2nd hand somewhere down the line and isn't too much of an investment. and then i can have 2 volcas sitting to the side collecting dust.

i almost sold mine but got cold feet when i couldn't get over how noisy the volume output can get. 

i *think* it's part of the unit, just being noisy as fuck, but i felt bad selling it and making it potentially somebody elses problem just incase i'm wrong and my unit totally is just noiser than usual.. so i figured fukkit, i'll keep it. 

Volca beats is dope as hell if it’s your first hardware unit.

If you you’re seasoned and pragmatic, it still has a few good sounds. Very solid kick on a sound system. PCM sounds pitched low are awesome as well. That cymbal is so dark.

Having said that, the volca drum looks like one of the best things to come out in many years.

I wish they would put the volca team in charge of the next electribe.

Edited by sheathe

Volca beats is dope as hell if it’s your first hardware unit.

If you you’re seasoned and pragmatic, it still has a few good sounds. Very solid kick on a sound system. PCM sounds pitched low are awesome as well. That cymbal is so dark.

Agreed... also the clap pitched down sounds like a bazooka. I don't like how sludgy they get though. The SK1 had a mod where you could snip the anti-aliasing filter to brighten it up, and the beats could really use that.

The interplay between the 2 toms is my favorite thing about it.

Just moved into a new house and am doing a few customary studio upgrades. The space is a larger room (converted garage), with a 6’x6’ nook.

I’m going to do the surrounded on 3 sides thing and maybe get some vertical stuff going. Probably should ask for some relevant pics in the studio thread...

But my questions is, is the old mackie cr1604 a smart buy? It has everything I could ever need in a mixer—4 aux, inserts AND direct outs, sliders—and can be purchased for like $150 used.

Of course the vlz4 would be nice, but I can’t spend significant money on anything right now.

So, is there really anything to be worried about with that mixer? It seems like it’s one of the best tank mixers ever made, but I don’t see many people raving about them, and the fact that they sell for under $200 is a red flag.

Anyone have one?

Well, for what it's worth, my VLZ1202 is on its last wheels but it's 1) a VLZ 2) more than 20 years old, so not very helpful for you. Also I want to replace it, but some folks on here suggested I steer clear of the Soundcraft MTK series (I think just because it's an integrated interface & mixer), which still appeals to me more than anything else I've found.

I have an epm12, great mixer, I just want a couple additional features:

1) direct outs

2) 4 sends instead of just 2

the mute alt out functionality of mackie is nice, but will be made obsolete (for my purposes) by direct outs.

Just moved into a new house and am doing a few customary studio upgrades. The space is a larger room (converted garage), with a 6’x6’ nook.

I’m going to do the surrounded on 3 sides thing and maybe get some vertical stuff going. Probably should ask for some relevant pics in the studio thread...

But my questions is, is the old mackie cr1604 a smart buy? It has everything I could ever need in a mixer—4 aux, inserts AND direct outs, sliders—and can be purchased for like $150 used.

Of course the vlz4 would be nice, but I can’t spend significant money on anything right now.

So, is there really anything to be worried about with that mixer? It seems like it’s one of the best tank mixers ever made, but I don’t see many people raving about them, and the fact that they sell for under $200 is a red flag.

Anyone have one?

We had one at the rehearsal space for recording our psych stoner rock band stuff. I liked that mixer, it always felt rock solid and no frills - totally something that you could learn to use and work with. You could route so many things in so many different ways and the manual was a joy to read. I also read Prodigy used these on stage too.

If I was looking for a hardware mixer for my setup I would definitely get one of those.

I've used Mackie boards a lot. I like them, but I've had minor to major issues with most I've worked with.

The Onyx 1620 I had in my mixing studio went up and died a few months ago when I powered it off and on. All of the lights on it went into this half on/half off cycle, which might mean something but I never looked into it. So replaced it with an old...

1402 VLZ Pro. It's working fine, but the main out faders seem to be out of wack where the left channel is way off unity. It's probably (hopefully) an easy maintenance fix.

I have a ProFX12 at home and, up to now, works perfectly except that some of the signal lights on some channels don't work. The built-in delay and reverb in it is so garbage though. Like uselessly garbage, I couldn't make it sound trashy cool garbage.

I have a MIX Series 5 channel mixer for live shows and it's working perfectly up to now.

And I've seen two or three 1202 VLZ with some dead channels. Most were used in video editing suits, god knows why they would all have issues.

So in theory from my experience, I shouldn't trust Mackie boards, but they're cheap, work most of the time and intuitive to use.

I have a 1640i and a couple of the channels are starting to get a bit noisy, which is quite irritating. Other than that, big fan of the mixer. The EQ's don't quite have that filter sweep capability a Soundcraft can get but they're nice for quick removal of unwanted frequencies. I use a lot of patchbays to make it as flexible as possible. 

wondering if i should go for the a&h mixwizard, or the soundcraft FX16

i dont have tons of gear, but with my tempest and everything, i could come close to filling up a 16 channel mixer. mainly, the flexibility of direct outs and busses is something i've never had...

also, while we are on the subject, can anyone explain what the purpose of the aux loop back send knob that many mixers have? in the mixer return section of the 1604vlz for instance, there is a knob that lets you send the return signal of aux 1 and 2 back into the send of aux 1 and 2. i don't understand what purpose that serves besides making feedback.

Edited by sheathe

the back of the mixer has aux out, and aux in. so aux out 1 goes into reverb in, reverb out goes into aux in 1. then there's sliders on the right to monitor the aux levels. so now you can send multiple channels into the reverb just using the send knobs. 

apologies if this isn't what you're asking. i think this is what you're asking?

wondering if i should go for the a&h mixwizard, or the soundcraft FX16

i dont have tons of gear, but with my tempest and everything, i could come close to filling up a 16 channel mixer. mainly, the flexibility of direct outs and busses is something i've never had...

also, while we are on the subject, can anyone explain what the purpose of the aux loop back send knob that many mixers have? in the mixer return section of the 1604vlz for instance, there is a knob that lets you send the return signal of aux 1 and 2 back into the send of aux 1 and 2. i don't understand what purpose that serves besides making feedback.

I've used the A&H Mix Wizard 14:4:2 on a daily basis for a couple of years and found it to be pretty durable and reliable. Can't really think of too many issues and the sound is relatively transparent. If you can get it for a decent price and it's in good nick then it should hold up for a long time.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk

the back of the mixer has aux out, and aux in. so aux out 1 goes into reverb in, reverb out goes into aux in 1. then there's sliders on the right to monitor the aux levels. so now you can send multiple channels into the reverb just using the send knobs.

apologies if this isn't what you're asking. i think this is what you're asking?

I mean, I know how send and return works, but if you look up the 1604vlz4, in the top right is the return section. There is a knob that lets you send the return back to the send.

Page 24 https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/1604VLZ4_OM.pdf