IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Over the next few weeks I'm going to try to put some effort into making some kind of arduino based MIDI -> voltage trigger device so I can possibly connect solenoids/stepper motors/etc., hopefully at least make a start on it.

You could also build a Highly Liquid MidiWidget.

I went to a music store and got to play on a couple of Roland V-Drum sets and damn it's been almost a month since last rehearsal as well and now my treacherous mind is looking for all the excuses it can give to get a set. Only 1600€ used for a low end kit.

I'm looking at that GR-1 but it feels like a jumping the shark moment when I could get a new laptop , run some granular synths/samplers and get a controller for that cash .

But , it does look neat. And I am lazy . And would probably never program a granular synth in max. And if I had a laptop would just end up procrastinating instead

I find myself more and more not really liking the "granular" paradigm. More and more I'd rather just use samplers to do faux-granular stuff. I'd rather spend the money on a used octatrack MK1 and just be able to put on some timestretch(or not) and put on some combinations of LFOs, parameter locks, and slide trigs that modulate retrigger times, start times, lengths. I can't really get that super dense cloud of sound grains sound but I can get pretty close and get all the sounds I really want + some good filtering and some good reverbs. And if you really want that cloud of grains sound you can throw in an axoloti and do it yourself for way cheaper than $1000 for not much effort. That GR-1 looks kind of meh to me, it's powered by a raspberry pi and the build quality doesn't look that great to me. The screen is neat but besides that I just, it doesn't seem that nice otherwise.

How much do you think a case for the axeloti would cost?

If you don't need any custom controls or anything, I think a laser cut acrylic case from Ponoko would be around $12-$15 USD plus the cost of screws, nuts and shipping.  There are files buried on the user forum somewhere.

If you wanted something with custom controls, done in aluminum with screen printing and a bezel for a screen and stuff like that, a one-off could run a couple hundred dollars but if you have access to a local CNC machine and can operate it, maybe $40-$80 depending on materials and rental costs for the machine since it would probably take an hour or two to mill it.  potentially a lot less if you can get time on a machine for free.

Edited by RSP

No idea.  I just made my enclosure out of scrap wood and a bit of aluminum plate I had lying around. I was guessing the price based on a similar size enclosure I had made a few weeks ago, it was actually slightly under $20 for the material and cutting, plus shipping.

EDIT:

this stuff looks like what you want:

https://github.com/vormplus/AxolotiEnclosure

I guess you'd have to use Inkscape or something to format it for whatever laser cutting service you decided to use.

Edited by RSP

Oh, I didn't even realize they were sold out, I thought you meant the files that had been posted in the forum were gone. 

I expect there will be another run, I remember noticing them being sold out a few times over the years and they always come back.  If I have the money to spare next time they're available I'm tempted to get a second one.

Oh, I didn't even realize they were sold out, I thought you meant the files that had been posted in the forum were gone. 

I expect there will be another run, I remember noticing them being sold out a few times over the years and they always come back.  If I have the money to spare next time they're available I'm tempted to get a second one.

Believotron is selling some lasercut cases for the axoloti for $25: https://store.believotron.com/collections/beta-synth-sale/products/believotron-wanderlust-core-lasercut-case-only

And they will probably be back in stock soon.  I picked one up on the 18th and it went out of stock the next day, but I think he puts them up as he assembles them. 

Edited by andrd

Not really GAS-related... but studio related nonetheless... I bought a Blackmagic Multidock

DISKMDOCK4-TB2-2.jpg

SSD multidock which also functions as a RAID system and I'm able to stripe the hard drives together.

Hey! Anyone has an oto machine?! That reverb must be the sweetest sounding verb ever

Yes. It is a great machine. I think I want a BOUM too. That said, recently I crave the harsh, primitive diffusions of the Quadraverb.

Hey! Anyone has an oto machine?! That reverb must be the sweetest sounding verb ever

Yes. It is a great machine. I think I want a BOUM too. That said, recently I crave the harsh, primitive diffusions of the Quadraverb.
Yeeees the qverb is f.luuush!

But! Itz a 19 inch version... i need/prefer a tabletop reverb/multifx box. I have the zoom ms70cdr pedal which is great (stereo ins/outs, powered with batteries, more than 200 great sounding virtual pedals, 6 virtual pedals can be used in serial in one preset, lcd display)! Especially after ive discovered this application https://tonelib.net/

The pedal is so good that i doubt i really need any other reverb/delay/chorus efx/pedal but hey! Gas is irrational anyway :)

Edited by xox

Finally got a usamo, been putting it off for a couple of months probably because it's not such a fun buy but more utilitarian. At last my bland, uninspired loops will be in sync. Hopefully. If it works well maybe I'll add an es-8 plus one of those breakout modules somewhere in the summer.

Believotron is selling some lasercut cases for the axoloti for $25: https://store.believotron.com/collections/beta-synth-sale/products/believotron-wanderlust-core-lasercut-case-only

And they will probably be back in stock soon.  I picked one up on the 18th and it went out of stock the next day, but I think he puts them up as he assembles them. 

I bet that's a good case in acrylic.  A friend of mine got one of the same style made in laser cut wood and the tolerances were off enough that it wouldn't even stay together, he has to keep rubber bands around it all the time because the screws just wouldn't stay in place because of the amount of play, but I think that's because of the material not the design.

I only have one more big purchase and a couple of odds & ends and then I'm done buying gear for the foreseeable future. Pretty excited about that.

Bastl Thyme:

https://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/thyme/

Left Hand Wrath Deluxe distortion pedal:

https://lonewolfaudio.bigcartel.com/product/left-hand-wrath-deluxe