IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Only 2x84hp for the moment. Gonna build something I can play like an instrument, or at least as one voice I can sequence/clock with my OT. Limiting myself to 1 module or $500 per month, though that seems a bit absurd. I don't need a wall of modules, especially considering how much other gear I have, so just a nice voice+effects will do me for the time being. I'm very happy that Elements is a nice synth voice on its own. Maths next :P

Yeah right ...

:lol:

lol yeah that's why I held off for so long.

I do have practically endless amounts of eurorack (and other gear) to play with at the studio I'm a member of, so that will help me either keep things in control or help me spend my money :D

Only 2x84hp for the moment. Gonna build something I can play like an instrument, or at least as one voice I can sequence/clock with my OT. Limiting myself to 1 module or $500 per month, though that seems a bit absurd. I don't need a wall of modules, especially considering how much other gear I have, so just a nice voice+effects will do me for the time being. I'm very happy that Elements is a nice synth voice on its own. Maths next :P

Yeah right ...

:lol:

LOL

Op-1 back in stock for 1400 euros

Loooolooo

Who wants it?

Yeah just saw that new retail price... I thought they were producing the OP-1 again because of the crazy 2nd hand market prices but they're selling it even more expensive.

keep getting obsessed over a new audio interface but the number of nice interfaces with thunderbolt 3 out right is really small... so i've been looking at the apollos but it's a whole can of worms there. someone stop me!

Op-1 back in stock for 1400 euros

Loooolooo

Who wants it?

Yeah just saw that new retail price... I thought they were producing the OP-1 again because of the crazy 2nd hand market prices but they're selling it even more expensive.

sad

keep getting obsessed over a new audio interface but the number of nice interfaces with thunderbolt 3 out right is really small... so i've been looking at the apollos but it's a whole can of worms there. someone stop me!

Maybe you have another interface that can work in tandem via-ADAT?

I sold my Eventide Eclipse for an Apollo. Have actually never used it as an interface, just got it for UAD stuff. It was open box so cheaper (got lucky there) and it came with the legacy version plugins of really good mixing tools, like the Pultec eq, 1176, and also a $75 coupon for my first plugin (ended up getting the EMT 140 plate reverb, really love that thing). I already had an interface, an Audient iD14. It was less than $300 and I really like the converters, sounds awesome to my ears, haven't used the inputs on the Apollo once. Should prolly try, though, it might sound better. 

yeah i keep reading everywhere they sound great and i like the idea of the plugins.. i have some Waves plugins that are comparable for some things but recently realized this upgrade scheme they've been running and i'm not buying into that at all. I've been running a TC Konnekt 48 for the last 10 years, and they dont support the software side at all or even seem to make audio interfaces anymore. that being said it does work but I dont have a lot to compare it to. :| 

Why do you need thunderbolt 3 though? I think it only matters when you have a huge number of tracks coming in.

I got a MOTU Track16 a while back, which quite obviously wants to be something like an Apollo Twin except without the plugins and the super great preamps.

I'm also in the market for an audio interface. I'm leaning towards usb 2.0 just because of how compatible it would be between my mac and windows machines.

right, looking at the motu one as well. I've got a new-ish iMac and it's got a couple thunderbolt 3 ports. Currently my situation is that is going to a thunderbolt 3 dock with firewire 800 outs and then there is another adapter for the firewire 400 port on the Konnekt. I figure that whatever interface I get now, I'm probably going to have for another 10 years so I'd rather get in a situation where it's using the most current port. If I get something that needs a thunderbolt 2 adapter, I'll be living with that for a long time. The motu 16 looks nice, and I had a 828mkii back in the day so I'm familiar with them. However that interface has been pretty been around for a good while now. I was kinda hoping NAMM2019 would bring a wave of refreshed interfaces but i've just seen this line of Presonus toy interfaces. :\  

The more demos I hear of the Kyra the less impressed I am, so that's good.  As appealing as it is to jsut sell off all of the weird old 90s rack stuff I have and replace it with one modestly sized, powerful desktop synth, I don't think Kyra is the one.

I'm still learning how to use this properly, but I can confirm the Bastl Thyme is fucking dope. Though I get the feeling this box doesn't really shine until you start sending CC messages to it.

I'm still learning how to use this properly, but I can confirm the Bastl Thyme is fucking dope. Though I get the feeling this box doesn't really shine until you start sending CC messages to it.

Interesting, I read mixed reviews of the SoftPop synth and watched a couple of videos that made it seem overly complicated and glitchy.  Like, its fine making glitchy sounds but you want some degree of repeatability with it. 

Thyme looks like they threw in a load of effects - hope you learn to tame the beast

Yeah Thyme seems like a really sweet delay, I love the multiple heads thing and it seems like just a really attractive object to play with. I wonder how the CV control compares to the MIDI control in terms of e.g. resolution. I loved the idea of the SoftPop but all the demos just sounded like wet farts. Like taking the most cliche, boring aspects of modular and boiling it down into one (very cool-looking) little box.

Also Enrique Martinez seemed to indicate in his most recent video that the Dude isn't being made anymore? wtf? I need to grab 1 or 2 more of them. These guys are so good at making comfy but tiny gear.

Interesting, I read mixed reviews of the SoftPop synth and watched a couple of videos that made it seem overly complicated and glitchy.  Like, its fine making glitchy sounds but you want some degree of repeatability with it. 

Thyme looks like they threw in a load of effects - hope you learn to tame the beast

I own a softpop, it is quite difficult to tame but can be very lovely.. especially trough some reverb 

rn im gasing over a 0-coast man... thinking of selling a few bits and bobs i own that i rarely use n actually figure out a setup that works for me proper..

The OT is a forever instrument for me, so I can't really give unbiased advice.. How long have you had it for? If you're just not feeling it, it may be time to move it on, but if you haven't explored what it can do, you should probably give it some more time.

I've had it for just over a year, but have spent much more time with my eurorack stuff than programming anything with the OT.  It's powerful, but I haven't given it the time it deserves to be comfortable with it and not have to think about the process to achieve what I'm trying to do while using it.

Put myself on the list for one of these:

https://www.tindie.com/products/Kasser/dafm-synth-genesis-ym2612-ym3438/

OT sequencer + DAMF YM2612 = Megadrive-style music in hardware without messing with an actual megadrive (although realistically I'd probably sequence it all from a tracker because it's just better that way for this sort of thing)

Edited by RSP