IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

just bought a dewalt ds779, but it weighs almost 60 pounds and is really awkward to carry. the weight is always away from the body. can't carry in the strike zone. it's a really nice saw and would probably do everything i would ever need, but it is $350 and I feel like i could save some money for my studio and get a cheaper saw...

Tape a cheap fan to it in order to do FM synthesis.

Behringer just announced a Eurorack case (104HP).

Not sure of the quality, because I guess there's a reason for the high prices of most cases... But that one might finally decide me on building a small FX system !

Looks pretty decent. Doesn't look like it's got any openings anywhere for power cables etc, though I guess you could use one of the front-feeding power supplies (uZeus or similar) to keep things compact. Also I wonder if it can be opened to add extra sliding nuts—not that it's likely it'd fit more than 26 modules, but hey, good to have that option!

In terms of quality, not sure if I can really talk about that, as my current Euro setup is just some Elby Designs rails screwed into a little box I found at Savers, haha. Works well though!

Was gonna say "that's not particularly cheap for some rails and and enclosing", but looking over the other cases Thomann has available, it turns out that it is. Damn ...

Still: sliding nuts. 

i found the arturia rack to be entirely affordable. or maybe it was just the convenience of a local store having it in stock and being able to impulse order it in the middle of the night and have it home delivered. either way, happy with the arturia rackbrute :-)

Edited by bitchroast

Yeah the rackbrute is great value. I only went the custom/DIY option because low cost wins out over convenience for me, and because I knew I'd end up wanting to add a 1U row :P

I just gassed out hard and swapped some modules for a lindell 5u case of 1176 and pultec eqs. I was meant to get cash for a set of sennheiser hd650s, fucked it though

Anyone ever used a "Music from outer space" Noise Toast?

hgrctkzpdmoaxevocv5c.png

I think a semi-modular standalone synth like this would be the next evolution in my setup.

(when my GAS ban is lifted in June :D)

Seems a very reasonable price at £145.00 plus carriage from Italy (currently on Reverb)

Edited by fletcher

I just gassed out hard and swapped some modules for a lindell 5u case of 1176 and pultec eqs. I was meant to get cash for a set of sennheiser hd650s, fucked it though

The markup on Sennheiser at Guitar Center is something like 60%-70% so make a friend at Guitar Center and you can get a brand new pair for around $225, that's the only way I was able to do it. All the GC owned brands are about the same, too, so you can get some pretty decent (some of the Sterling mics are pretty good for the price even before the discount), for good prices that way.

What I'm getting at is you made the right move, there are more opportunities to get a good price on headphones than to get a pile of good EQs.

I haven't tried an MFOS synth but I used to flow his web site a lit and have his book and back then at least they weren't directly compatible with Eurorack AFAIK. Semimodulars are cool though, they're kind of my ideal, probably because I've always wished for an Arp 2600.

Edited by RSP

The new ValhallaDelay sounds glorious. Having u-he ColorCopy and Sonic Charge Permut8 (as well as Valhalla Ubermod) I thought I was well covered, but I had to hit the purchase button as soon as I tried the Digital. Mega lush.

The new ValhallaDelay sounds glorious. Having u-he ColorCopy and Sonic Charge Permut8 (as well as Valhalla Ubermod) I thought I was well covered, but I had to hit the purchase button as soon as I tried the Digital. Mega lush.

This is tempting, the VintageVerb is one of my favorite VSTs. At $50 they're such a steal too.

I think it's easy to overstate the importance of "one knob per function" in this case. You get direct access to 14 parameters via the 14 knobs, plus four more via the shift function. That's 18 parameters total, which is rather paired down compared to the page based Elektrons that typically give you 8-10 knobs controlling 4-10 sets/pages of parameters, ie a total of 32 to ~100 parameters per voice.

Sure, you can tweak the filter and the reverb at the same time, but lose basic functionality like an Attack parameter, for instance.

I personally think the page based Elektrons are a breeze to work on.

Edited by psn

the digitakt is pretty limited as well, don't forget.. when compared to machinedrum/octatrack/rytm ..

1 LFO per track.

best thing about digitakt is ease of use and immediacy, while being a compromise in depth and flexibility, which model samples is just further more in that direction.

The Digitakt has 4x8 sound shaping parameters, just like the MD, and most of the Elektrons have a "curated" set of parameters to make them more immediate.

Striking the balance is an interesting and mostly subjective question, but I personally think there's a fundamental difference between "menu diving" and the immediacy of a well laid out page system.

Great responses. I’ve had an a4 in the past and regrettably got rid of it, mainly at the time because I didn’t have the patience to go through the menus. I have less time now and want something more immediate, simply to have fun with. That said, the videos I’m seeing on the model samples aren’t strikingly impressive.

This is tempting, the VintageVerb is one of my favorite VSTs. At $50 they're such a steal too.

I don't know whether it's good or bad that I saw this right after I got my tax return.

I think elektron page setup is good too, but when you’re playing live, have a couple machines going, one knob per function is really key.

It’s the reason the advanced boxes have performance macros. Pages of parameters are nice for making any sound you want, but you need paired down simplicity sometimes, and that’s what model:samples is. I wouldn’t buy one, but I think most of the complaints about it are dumb.