IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Gassing pretty hard for some tools like a midi thru and a midi merger, an additional patchbay, adat expander etc...

Anybody have any recommendations/comments regarding thru/merge boxes? Currently the kenton ones are on my list but I tend to be kind of stupid and forget that usually there are more modern and flexible solutions, I've looked into the iconnectivity  stuff a bit but I don't need any of the mobile device integration. Anyone have experience with a bomebox?

Edited by user

Cheers, I've heard of the midi.ocd before but had no idea these people made these other thing as well. The merger might actually be quite interesting, the thru works out to be quite a bit more costly than a kenton thru where I'm at but for some reason kenton's merge is like 50,- more.

2 hours ago, user said:

Gassing pretty hard for some tools like a midi thru and a midi merger, an additional patchbay, adat expander etc...

Anybody have any recommendations/comments regarding thru/merge boxes? Currently the kenton ones are on my list but I tend to be kind of stupid and forget that usually there are more modern and flexible solutions, I've looked into the iconnectivity  stuff a bit but I don't need any of the mobile device integration. Anyone have experience with a bomebox?

I spent a few weeks this month diving into older, non-Behringer ADAT expanders that are inexpensive now but still sound good and I ended up going for an M-Audio Profire 2626 since it seems to be pretty well regarded and fit my needs more (and it was one of the few that bypasses the preamps entirely when you connect to the 1/4" line ins), but this was a close second:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303150446258?ul_noapp=true

From what I've read it sounds like they're still pretty solid for the price even now.  Very no frills.  Someone in a decade old Gearslutz thread claims that he installed some in Carnegie Hall and they were used on some respectable 90s classical recordings if that matters to you. The one I linked is especially cheap but they seem fairly common and consistently under $200USD.

The Profire is also a firewire 400 interface (and I might actually use it that way since hooking it up to my current interface as an ADAT expander would limit me to 48kHz, but if I connect it as a second interface I can slave it to my main interface via ADAT to take advantage of the better clock, but still work at 24/96; it arrives Thursday so I'll figure it out this weekend) and is in the same price range, so that's another option. The consensus on the usual messageboards seems to be preamps that are perfectly adequate but nothing special, with nice converters that performed above their price range for the time (including other M audio product lines), and since you can bypass the pres completely they don't really enter into the equation at all for people doing the sorts of things most of us do.  I'll let you know how it works for me.

EDIT: if you're handy with a soldering iron, this is a perfectly good MIDI splitter:

https://midisizer.com/midithru/

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Thanks 1

I use the kenton merger and the midi solutions midi splitter. The only reason I use a midi merger is so I can use midi learn on multiple devices at the same time using my octatrack as a central hub. Nice tool to have but mostly unnecessary

I use a MIDI Solutions splitter to distribute clock if I play out with the Octatrack since it's smaller and less fragile than the Midisizer, and it works great.  The MIDIsizer kit is more or less the same thing but with an extra output and the option to use an external power supply if the device hooked up to the input doesn't supply enough power.

I just can’t see spending money on fx plugins when I have ableton 10 suite

ive always wanted a real h3000, but the digital just sounds funny to me. Plus, that preview video is one of the worst I have ever seen.

if you know what you’re doing, you can make most of those fx just through ableton racks. You don’t even need to use max. So many possibilities by using the simple delay set to repitch mode and midi LFOs. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:17 AM, flacid said:

Eventide H3000 plugin, down from $349 to $79 > https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/effects/pitch-delay-modulation-filtering/h3000-factory 

Was legit thinking of getting this at $349 so glad I waited. Just grabbed one myself and thought someone here might want it. 

If I were to buy this could I put it on more than one computer?

Amazing, thanks for the recommendations and info everyone. Too tired to type out any other meaningful reply rn.

So my neighbor is having me design and build a simple, passive module that will give him a few fixed value CV sources with a footswitch to momentarily rout them to different outputs, and I've decided to let him do part of the payment in trade:

20190522_141905.thumb.jpg.b7da7d09f664afae1d000c1efd85628e.jpg

This is a slippery slope.

Ha! I've just finished (lol) buying stuff for my similar sized rack:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.794eed0e84fa04903e34463910825650.jpg

It's fucking brutal; I knew it'd be easy to spend money on it, but man it's stressful constantly being on the prowl for second hand modules. I'm going to fill the blank space with homemade stuff (buffered mult, sequential switch, s&h, digital noise generator and maybe another mixer) mostly because I don't want to spend any more money, especially on utility modules I can just (hopefully) build myself.

So much fun to play with though. I don't even record most of my sessions with it, it's kinda like a zen garden or something lol. Most of the time I'll start messing with it because I had a vague idea to test a particular combination, without any intention to continue, but then get lost in a patching wormhole and lose an hour or more. I can't imagine what it's like with a larger system..

I think I'm going to keep it in check by getting some Eurorack panels for my Mutable Instruments Anushri and mounting that and the Mother 32 in it.  That should fill at least half of it up and make it look less hungry.

I've also got PCBs for a Thomas Henry Megapercussive Synthesizer, a Klee Sequencer, a better power supply than what's in there now, and a couple of simple utility modules like a voltage quantizer and , so maybe I'll build those finally and put them in, but getting a Panel made for a Klee isn't cheap and then I'd need stuff to sequence...

No matter how I look at this it is bad news, but for the next few months at least I can keep it at bay by focusing on saving all my money to make a Kijimi.  I'll have enough to get the PCBs by the end of June thanks to some extra freelance work, but getting the front panel and parts and building it and making an enclosure for it  will still take most of the rest of this year, if only because of the cost.

Edited by TubularCorporation

19 hours ago, modey said:

Ha! I've just finished (lol) buying stuff for my similar sized rack:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.794eed0e84fa04903e34463910825650.jpg

It's fucking brutal; I knew it'd be easy to spend money on it, but man it's stressful constantly being on the prowl for second hand modules. I'm going to fill the blank space with homemade stuff (buffered mult, sequential switch, s&h, digital noise generator and maybe another mixer) mostly because I don't want to spend any more money, especially on utility modules I can just (hopefully) build myself.

So much fun to play with though. I don't even record most of my sessions with it, it's kinda like a zen garden or something lol. Most of the time I'll start messing with it because I had a vague idea to test a particular combination, without any intention to continue, but then get lost in a patching wormhole and lose an hour or more. I can't imagine what it's like with a larger system..

Ohhh marbles, ahhhhh,  warps. This picture is giving me gas.

Have you used any of the quantizer algs on the disting? How would you compare it to the 2hp tune? My, eh, friend is looking for a quantizer and was definitely going to buy a scales but now this person is having second thoughts on being able to justify the cost and is now going slightly mad trying to decide between a 2hp tune, pico quant and a disting.

I've read the 2hp can be slightly steppy when receiving quick changes in cv but I don't think that would bother me that much, can't find too much info about the pico quant and keep going on/off the idea of a disting, clearly I already have a hard time making choices and I'm not sure I could handle a module with that many different algorithms.  

Edited by user

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

I think I'm going to keep it in check by getting some Eurorack panels for my Mutable Instruments Anushri and mounting that and the Mother 32 in it.  That should fill at least half of it up and make it look less hungry.

I've also got PCBs for a Thomas Henry Megapercussive Synthesizer, a Klee Sequencer, a better power supply than what's in there now, and a couple of simple utility modules like a voltage quantizer and , so maybe I'll build those finally and put them in, but getting a Panel made for a Klee isn't cheap and then I'd need stuff to sequence...

No matter how I look at this it is bad news, but for the next few months at least I can keep it at bay by focusing on saving all my money to make a Kijimi.  I'll have enough to get the PCBs by the end of June thanks to some extra freelance work, but getting the front panel and parts and building it and making an enclosure for it  will still take most of the rest of this year, if only because of the cost.

It might not look hungry anymore but that's just a deception... prepare to be consumed.

6 hours ago, user said:

Have you used any of the quantizer algs on the disting? How would you compare it to the 2hp tune?

I haven't tried the quant yet actually! I'm mostly using the disting for wavetable/sample playback at the moment. The 2hp tune is alright, but pretty limited. I haven't noticed any weirdness with it yet.

The disting is great though. I could imagine having two in my rack at some point. Multipurpose modules are great imo. It'd be interesting making a mini 42hp rack with 3x warps (w/parasite firmware) and 3x disting lol.

• Like 1

I bought an optical cable to hook up my Roland XV-5080. Also 2 MIDI cables to hook the other stuff up too.

So far happy with the XV-5080 although I have not had a lot of time to get into it. The editor runs nicely through wine too, though the way I have daisy chained my things is giving some errors sometimes.

Just bought u-he Hive in anticipation of v2’s release next Tuesday. RC can be downloaded via their kvr forum if anyone’s curious.

Urs & co have taken it to a whole new level, it’s now incredibly deep and intuitive at the same time. And the new scriptable wavetables sound beyond lush, I’ve never heard such pristine FM. Impressive AF, as usual with u-he. Zebra 3 is going to be insane.

Just a followup on the ADAT expander discussion a few pages back, I finally had a chance to set up the Profire 2626 as an ADAT expander for my BLA modded Digi002 and it works great, no idea how much difference the BLA clock is making but the sound is very transparent, and if you compare closely the BLA does sound just a bit better but it's a really minor difference on line sources.  Haven't tried the mic pres or anything.

Definitely a good deal for the used price.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, modey said:

I haven't tried the quant yet actually! I'm mostly using the disting for wavetable/sample playback at the moment. The 2hp tune is alright, but pretty limited. I haven't noticed any weirdness with it yet.

The disting is great though. I could imagine having two in my rack at some point. Multipurpose modules are great imo. It'd be interesting making a mini 42hp rack with 3x warps (w/parasite firmware) and 3x disting lol.

Ended up with a pico quant, very happy.. The glide and tolerance knobs are a nice touch plus it has the ability to have scales (including microtonal scales) uploaded via its clock in. Also added a pico rnd, right now I'm mostly using its s&h output to feed to the quant, mostly. Putting off a disting for a while longer. 

36 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Just a followup on the ADAT expander discussion a few pages back, I finally had a chance to set up the Profire 2626 as an ADAT expander for my BLA modded Digi002 and it works great, no idea how much difference the BLA clock is making but the sound is very transparent, and if you compare closely the BLA does sound just a bit better but it's a really minor difference on line sources.  Haven't tried the mic pres or anything.

Definitely a good deal for the used price.

The profires seem to go for quite a bit of money used over here rn (although I only saw 2 so small sample size :)). Used to have a profire1 610 to dj with and that was great, survived at least 4 years of pretty heavy duty use and never failed me, and it had 8 outputs in only half a 19" size unit.

I'll probably end up with a second secondhand  saffire pro40, that's the interface I currently have and am quite happy with (not a super critical user wrt transparency and micpre's and such) which seem to go for around 200 local monetary units. Either that or the dreaded ubiquitous ada8200 if I'm too lazy/impatient to get a secondhand unit.        

2 hours ago, user said:

Ended up with a pico quant, very happy.. The glide and tolerance knobs are a nice touch plus it has the ability to have scales (including microtonal scales) uploaded via its clock in. Also added a pico rnd, right now I'm mostly using its s&h output to feed to the quant, mostly.

Nice! I'm somewhat tempted to get a couple of those pico modules, just because they seem to be a decent price for what you get. But.. I'm determined to build some stuff of my own.