IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

The OT is amazing because you can take just it with you to jam and be a hero. I did a jam the other day with one friend on an korg emx and another guy on a tr8, both of them going through my OT's master track with live fx and stuff. Endless fun. I can resample them and everything. They liked it because the cross fader was set to a hi pass so anyone could reach over and do a drop.

I really miss the op1 synths though. If I had to pick one, it would be the sampler. A polyphonic sampler in gear form is just too rare.

Imagine if you had op1 synth engines and sampler with an elektron (digitakt style everything in the pattern saving system) sequencer. Each synth loadable as a machine, with op1 fx, and polyphony.

Say 6 tracks (switchable from synth to midi out), 6 voices per track. Maybe even a op1 style sequencer mode per track. Instabuy.

Edited by sheathe

It's safe to say we're all different and don't get the same out of the same gear.

Yeah, this. And tastes change too - I have a hard time these days using anything that doesn't surprise me. The MPC is mostly plain oatmeal, and I think the only reason I haven't let go of it is because it's still my favorite tool for plain old loop chopping, really forces me to listen hard, get my timing right, and be sensitive to hidden micro-rhythms and harmony. I only dust it off a couple times a year these days, though.

I've been trying to decide over the past few days, whether I should get the nord rack 2, or the nord modular, both of which I've seen in secondhand groups/stores locally.. clearly the answer is..

160722_old_el_paso.jpg

I'm gonna sell my Circuit. And JV1010. Don't care, the nord cult has enslaved me lol

Edited by modey

I put my Bass Station II and SP-404sx on Amazon to sell.

If you ever need lower fee IDM e-commerce to propagate through your networks please try blisst.io  It's for brighter teeth and toned muscles!

Oh shit, forgot about this. thanks!

Guest Chesney

Sorry for the spam but it will be seen in here more than it's thread, and this is where I spend most of my time so...

Free Download codes for my album before I release a new EP. have a listen if you're intrigued.

(relevance get out clause: it was made with loads of gear ha)

http://zoomthelineandeye.bandcamp.com/yum.

gsdd-gvs5
244p-ukwr
aesb-59ld
kj4m-hs5e
u9sf-vd23
vt4x-gcs4
fkph-uhca
l36s-evsb
qays-3ycw
bfke-wfls
ww39-cpvd
sjvz-w2tc
sfbk-hdux
sdxu-vceq
h79s-b38m
hl2s-wx76
jsme-wppk
9hr9-cr38
zcln-wdln
zpsv-hd5e

I put my Bass Station II and SP-404sx on Amazon to sell.

If you ever need lower fee IDM e-commerce to propagate through your networks please try blisst.io It's for brighter teeth and toned muscles!

Oh shit, forgot about this. thanks!
I'm spammin'4life, mang. May BLISST improve your life quality!

Ches, some of your music (the 'Organy' stuff on Faders, Racing Me) reminds me of the Interstellar soundtrack. Particularly like when the drums come in on The Faders. Bath Salts and Casceal reminds me of The Gasman. Onlaw & Achoraq makes me think if BOC went digital (even if the track isn't made with digital synths). Bass on Yeah, Thought So reminds me of NIN. 

Apologies for the categorising/comparisons, just the best way for me to describe them. You use the Analog 4 for this album? Some really good work, cheers for the download.  :beer:

Guest Chesney

Wicked Alan ord, yeah I guess they are all influences to a degree so hard not to compare, all good. But you actually hit the nail on the head with the faders. The first 2 parts and the drums have existed for 11 years, one of the first tracks I ever did but had no end melodic elements and Interstellar directly inspired that part. Well spotted.

The A4 is all over this album, A bit on most tracks maybe. Lots of the main chords and melodies on achoraq and Casceal especially.

nice material you got there, ches! beautiful tracks, really! music that deserves to be released imo

BUT

one thing i didn't like... it's the sound of the highs. they're just too abrasive. some tracks i couldn't listen to in complete; had to skip them.

it could be my speakers but i can't remeber the last time i had such problems

Guest Chesney

I think there may well be something in that. My ears are not the best and a couple of people commented on the highs in really early mixes but i thought I tamed them. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else felt the same?

I do remember having trouble EQing the 2nd track (Bath salts) because it was pretty much a stereo jam.

But yeah, thanks for the kind words too, really appreciate that. I'd love to release something proper but have no clue who would be into it, I think it would be a punt for any label, it's not exactly a popular style ha.

Edited by Chesney

do you use maximizers/saturators? sounds more like the highs are over-saturated... actually, like everything is over-saturated but the biggst 'problem' are the highs imo. hey, but that's just imo ;)

regarding sending to a label... i know what you mean. i've never sent anything to a label myself also cause of the style thing. i have like 40 'first draft level' tracks on soundcloud (half are on 'private') and i don't have two alike and maybe two of them could be listenable to a regular joe. maybe there's a label that would release me but i doubt. that's the reason i rarely put anything on sc. it's mostly to share with my friends. no hope :)

BUT

you're music is much more 'familiar' than mine. someone could release this stuff. try!

Edited by xox

Guest Chesney

From DAW mix it's gone to (8 track R2R) tape pretty hot then through an old mixer back into daw and basic comp/limit on the end. So, too saturated? yeah probably. I like to mix everything pretty hot, not to everyones taste but if there is a major problem it's probably more to do with my natural lpf ears ha.

I'd say my music is more melodic and accecible in that area but it's the kind of music that generates zero hype, a bit like Plaid haha. (love them)

Your music is less accesible to typical people but it def has the elite hype interest in the same way AE music has. It's really rad stuff, i'd like to hear some stuff that's private.

Edited by Chesney

gonna give your album a listen this afternoon ches, thanks! I grabbed h79s-b38m.

ps.

18157479_609668849222670_866794389485872

it looks so much better in person than in photos, also it's quite a bit heavier than I expected—might be mostly the transformer, maybe I'll look into adapting it so it has an external, modern power supply.

either way, it's actually in really good condition, the knobs are very stiff (heh) and feel almost brand new, compared to my NL1 keyboard, which feels like you could blow on the knobs and they'd move (heh)

Edited by modey

Guest Chesney

Wicked Modey! The modular has intrigued me way more than the other nords. It's sort of a gateway to software which is cool for someone like me. Be stoked to hear some real oddness from it if you record any.

And cheers for the DL, be interested to hear any thoughts on it.

I managed to listen to about 2/3 of it today before getting whisked away into a meeting, but it was an enjoyable listen. Some good quality sounds in there, and I'm always a fan of abrasive/distorted drums. Gonna give this more of a listen on the weekend!

And yeah, can't wait to get into the NM. It turns out my USB MIDI interface doesn't work with the editor, so I couldn't do much with it tonight, but some of the sounds that were loaded into it by whoever owned it before me (not sure if stock or not) are awesome.

Looks like I'm off to the synth store tomorrow to buy an m-audio uno..

I tried to bind my micro to ESI MidimateII and didn't succeed. IIRC m-audio uno should work.

I use focusrite saffire's midi in/out for editor since everything is sequenced from OT usually