IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Seriously considering getting a Digitone to pair it with TidalCycles. I absolutely love u-he Bazille for all my synths needs, but it'd free up some nice amount of CPUs and would certainly help playing sample-free full live sets (as I plan to).

Are you guys still happy with yours?

The OT is a forever instrument for me, so I can't really give unbiased advice.. How long have you had it for? If you're just not feeling it, it may be time to move it on, but if you haven't explored what it can do, you should probably give it some more time.

I've had it for just over a year, but have spent much more time with my eurorack stuff than programming anything with the OT.  It's powerful, but I haven't given it the time it deserves to be comfortable with it and not have to think about the process to achieve what I'm trying to do while using it.

I have all my modular stuff running through the OT, and it works like a dream. I often don't even bother with analogue vcas anymore; just run a quantised signal straight in, and use the gates, effects and lfos of the OT to make the magic +of course sampling capabilities to take it to the next level.

My guess is if you combine the OT with your euro stuff, getting to know the machine will feel less like hard work.

Speaking of hard to tame gear, my Kastle is again gathering dust somewhere and I think the main reason is that I do not really have a good source of melody->CV so I have to depend on the internal step sequencer which is really unsuitable for making controllable melodies that make sense & feel nice to me.

Maybe there is a way to make it sound something similar to how Acid Mothers Temple uses the Roland SH09.

Seriously considering getting a Digitone to pair it with TidalCycles. I absolutely love u-he Bazille for all my synths needs, but it'd free up some nice amount of CPUs and would certainly help playing sample-free full live sets (as I plan to).

Are you guys still happy with yours?

Yep! I'm in a bit of an off phase with mine at the moment, mostly due to spending the past few weeks getting deeper with the OT, but I definitely want to pick it up again soon, especially after the crazy stuff I made with it earlier this year.

I have all my modular stuff running through the OT, and it works like a dream. I often don't even bother with analogue vcas anymore; just run a quantised signal straight in, and use the gates, effects and lfos of the OT to make the magic +of course sampling capabilities to take it to the next level.

That's a really good idea.  I don't have a Eurorack setup but I do have a few things that could fill a similar role (Mother 32, Wasp clone, Mutable Anushri), going to have to mess with this soon.

Maybe there is a way to make it sound something similar to how Acid Mothers Temple uses the Roland SH09.

I've seen AMT a few times and played a show with them a while back.  At the one where I opened, the SH09 had broken in NYC the night before and they were using a Monotron taped to the top of it and to be honest the way they use it there was hardly any difference.

I've seen AMT a few times and played a show with them a while back.  At the one where I opened, the SH09 had broken in NYC the night before and they were using a Monotron taped to the top of it and to be honest the way they use it there was hardly any difference.

Yeah the way they use it is really you can put any other thing with some cutof knobs there and play with it the same way. It just takes skill and time to know your instrument.

Ok I am now on a self enforced gear acquisition ban, 3 months off.  You can quote me on this!

Just picked up a 2nd hand Volca Kick off eBay (had a couple of quick plays but it really is fun, intuition and got some good patterns out of it already).

Also purchased a granular synthesis algorithm module from Norway, looks like its very versatile and adaptable.  Not cheap but well you know GAS

I now reckon I have everything I need to get plenty of recordings together, and the beauty is I can use it all live so hoping to do a couple of live shows.

Edited by fletcher

Wish they would make volca xl versions of the keys and bass with pattern chain

Yeah, I've been through two Volca beats (both got in trades) and neither of them stayed with me more than a couple months because lack of pattern chaining made it impossible to integrate them into any of my workflows.

I wish the Volca Sample would have pattern chaining. There is some kind of Song mode but you can't mess with the parameters when this is active so it loses half the fun.

Need volca xls.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm always wanting shit. 

sometimes i can cool down and want things less. but i'm always wanting shit. 

more effects/pedals would be nice. 

korg minilogue xd would be nice. 

moog grandmother would be nice. moog dfam would be nice. 

moog mother 32 would be nice to compliment the tiny eurorack case i started.

eurorack is great because it's just throwing everything out from window and starting from scratch, and is an endless supply of GAS!!! 

like, only once you've gotten into eurorack do you start thinking to yourself "man i can't wait to spend $200 on this tiny module so i can do [basic functionality that is prebuilt into all DAWs and modern mixers that would be absurd spending $200 on in any format other than eurorack]

Edited by bitchroast

i wonder.

i half imagine behringer entering eurorack would put them in same ballpark as doepfer and ladik so i wonder if it's possible to get much cheaper. doepfer entering the scene by doing a mother 32 budget version is pretty sweet but being "more affordable than moog" is only so impressive.

Haven't gone down the Euro path yet but am open to this if Behringer does as they've threatened and enters with $50-$100 modules - especially if they start to emulate the more complex MI modules... i can see though that they'll probably look at the basic filters and osc's first which doesn't excite me all that much 

Behringer emulating/stealing MI's open source modules would actually be terrible and anyone who gives even the tiniest shit about developers/smaller companies/synth community/etc should boycott them if they were to do such a thing. MI's modules are open source/open hardware so other people can learn from them not so that other companies can steal the code and just put out 1:1 clones.

If behringer would do such a thing I'm sure it would hardly put MI out of business but they'll probably stop making open source things which would be a damn shame.

Edited by user

Haven't gone down the Euro path yet but am open to this if Behringer does as they've threatened and enters with $50-$100 modules - especially if they start to emulate the more complex MI modules... i can see though that they'll probably look at the basic filters and osc's first which doesn't excite me all that much 

Behringer emulating/stealing MI's open source modules would actually be terrible and anyone who gives even the tiniest shit about developers/smaller companies/synth community/etc should boycott them if they were to do such a thing. MI's modules are open source/open hardware so other people can learn from them not so that other companies can steal the code and just put out 1:1 clones.

If behringer would do such a thing I'm sure it would hardly put MI out of business but they'll probably stop making open source things which would be a damn shame.

yeah this tbh

I'm not sure what to think of Behringer getting into modular territory; I'd be interested in perhaps some of the more generic, utility modules, but my current modulargrid setup doesn't have many of those. If I *really* wanted to save money I wouldn't get into modular in the first place lol

ey... there's no threat of behringer destroying the market here. they've been providing lower quality clones of out-of-production desirable niche products like minimoog and sh101 and tr909 etc.

TB-303 for example has always had clones. VSTs clones have all been doing the same thing for years only in software instead of hardware. none of this has ever destroyed the market.

synth market stronger than ever thanks to lower entry point (thanks to free /+ bootleggable software) (+ thanks to cheaper products on market like korg, behringer), and the bigger companies thrive off it just as much. 

(synth market stronger than ever also thanks to youtube and social medias giving everyone serious GAS:)). 

i still don't think all eurorack is overpriced. in general, yes eurorack is  expensive. but you still have your ladiks, your DIY builds + other niche small companies here and there doing affordable products. it's an area of the market is already covered more so than minimoog hardware clones, i think. 

i'm curious to see what behringer entering eurorack looks like, only because i'm curious to see what it looks like :-)

Edited by bitchroast

You're missing the point, behringer destroying the market is not what my post was about, it's about things that are now open source possibly not being open source in the future because of companies like behringer, which would be a huge loss to the community.

Thing is , and I realise this is obviously a sensitive topic based on the emotive element of some of the posting , but the modular market IS overpriced imo , and this is not just due to small companies and a lack of economies of scale - it's due to maximisation of profits .

The threat of Behringer coming in and destroying the market via flooding with clones - has this really happened in the synth market today ? Not from what I've seen . I do think that lower cost modules is good for the industry and if they develop unique contributions like the neutron / deepmind then this is positive also

MI is one of the companies that is hardly maximizing their profits. Spend some time on their forums before you go making such bold statements. 

Okay, let's shake on it.

I keep getting gas for a nice digital delay like the space, timeline or oto bim but every time after a while I think "fuck it, I've got soundtoys there's plenty of nice delays there" and then it starts all over again. There must be a special layer in hell where you just have circular gas.

I keep getting gas for a nice digital delay like the space, timeline or oto bim but every time after a while I think "fuck it, I've got soundtoys there's plenty of nice delays there" and then it starts all over again. There must be a special layer in hell where you just have circular gas.

Fuuuuck. I definitely get the circular GAS and I think it's with delays too.